PDA

View Full Version : FPrime Crashing LW9

riki
11-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Anyone else having problems with FPrime crashing Layout since upgrading to 9?

gstonebank
11-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Check that the "FPrime.txt" file containing the license info is in the plugins directory. FPrime seems to crash LW9.2 when it can't find that file.

Scazzino
11-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Check that the "FPrime.txt" file containing the license info is in the plugins directory. FPrime seems to crash LW9.2 when it can't find that file.

If FPrime was added by using Scan Directory (or autoscanning) then it will crash when first opened when it tries to open the registration dialog if it doesn't find the FPrime.txt file. You can also use Add Plugin to re-add the FPrime plugin if you can't find (or trashed) your old FPrime.txt file.

The problem is that Scan Directory (and autoscanning) fails to add a line in the Layout config file that FPrime needs when registering itself. Using Add Plugin will add the missing line to your config file.

This isn't new to LW9. It's been this way as long as I've used FPrime...

gstonebank
11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
That makes sense.. I usually just do a find and replace in the config file to update the plugin locations, so I don't often scan for plugins. Not sure why I didn't do that this time :foreheads

Scazzino
11-14-2006, 03:01 PM
The line that's missing from the config file is:
DirectoryType Plug-ins MacHD:Applications:LightWave:yourplugins:

With your path to your FPrime plugin directory of course...
Adding FPrime via "Add Plugin" adds this line to your config file.

Unfortunately "Scan Directory" and plugin autoscanning fail to add this line to the config file.

If that line is not in your config file, then when FPrime is launched, if it can't find the FPrime.txt registration file, it crashes when trying to open its registration panel.

It's been reported (many times), I don't know why it has never been fixed... :rolleyes:

gstonebank
11-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Is this a Mac only problem?

Chilton
11-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

Is this a Mac only bug, or does this same config file problem exist on the PC?

Thanks,
-Chilton

Scazzino
11-15-2006, 10:07 AM
As far as I know, only the Mac version crashes FPrime... I'm not sure if the PC version handles the config file differently or not though...

gstonebank
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
That may explain why I didn't run into it before - I just switched to Mac

Chilli
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
thanks alot gstonebank

i've been having this problem, you always crash just seconds before you go to save!

thanks again