PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Update Mess

newsvixen8
11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Just a heads-up - spent the last hour cleaning up the tangle of garbage on my workstation deposited by the Internet Explorer 7 Update. Consider carefully before you allow this one.

lunarcamel
11-14-2006, 07:48 AM
IE 7 = a HUGE mess.

Hold out for updates or even better use Firefox ;)

habaņero
11-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Or Opera! :)

tyrot
11-14-2006, 07:57 AM
dear habanero

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPERAAAA!!!!

BEEEEEST!

starbase1
11-14-2006, 08:39 AM
I have had a couple of minor glitches with the new firefox, (Occassionally jump to the top of the page, does not close down multiple tabs in multiple windows elegantly)

However that basic sentiment of 'anything but IE works well for me, despite their latest 'up' grade.

Jim_C
11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Or if you do like using IE6 but want all the things the others give and IE7 finally catches up with (RSS, tabs, anti-everything) use Deepnet Explorer.

Kind of a skin for IE6. Also works with IE7, so you can install IE7 to get the security benefits then still use Deepnet for surfing.

www.deepnetexplorer.com

I try and use FFox or Opera for everything, but there are still quite a few pages that won't run right without IE.
So I use Deepnet for those.

I really do dislike the IE7 interface.

gjjackson
11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
There's also avant browser

starbase1
11-14-2006, 04:26 PM
OK, while we are on the subject of alternatives to MS, I ntice that my AVG anti virus is about to turn into a commercial product.

Are there any other good free virus checkers?

I certainly won't be paying extra to Microsoft to reward them for their security holes...

Nick

T-Light
11-14-2006, 04:48 PM
B*st*rds Really, no more AVG?

That's just nasty

TheDAve
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
OK, while we are on the subject of alternatives to MS, I ntice that my AVG anti virus is about to turn into a commercial product.

Are you sure about that Nick?

Looking at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 it appears there is a new free version (non-comercial only) it says...

New Free Anti-Virus

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.

I'm guessing their email is trying to steer you to the commercial product, but there will be a new free version avalaible.

DAve

Jim_C
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM

They have always had the commercial version, even for the current free app.

From what I understand they are continuing the free product. It is just Version 7.5 now instead of 7.1

If you have a .1 version you will get notices of it's discontinuation, but once upgraded up to 7.5 free they go away.

At least they did for me.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

starbase1
11-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Ah, thats a relief. Sounds good!
Nick

BeeVee
11-15-2006, 02:41 AM
In my experience sometimes more than daily!

B

DogBoy
11-15-2006, 02:57 AM
Are there any other good free virus checkers?

I use AVAST (http://www.avast.com), which should appeal to your noodley cause.

You have to register it on a yearly basis, but it isn't a huge chore.

Red_Oddity
11-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Whenever i need Internet Explorer (because some webprogrammers are just incompetent jackasses) i just use the Firefox 'IE Tab' extension/add-on.
IE Tab runs Internet Explorer inside Firefox, handy little tool really.

Matt
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
IE7 is fine here, although I have encountered pages that it doesn't like, then I use FireFox or Opera, depending on my mood.

MiniFireDragon
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Word is, IE7 Kills HP software. Have a computer client that told me the HP Imaging button wouldn't work. Contacted HP and they said remove 7. Once removed. worked again.

gschrick
11-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Another note on AVAST. It works just fine on XP x64, it's the only anti-virus software that I've found to work on 64bit windows.