PDA

View Full Version : Ask for advice about Inside books

Morte
11-14-2006, 03:57 AM
First,
let me greet you and say hallo to all good people here ;) (this is my first post here). I'm an ex-user of 3dsmax and couple of feeks ago I had to choose some other 3d app which I stay with. I decided Lightwave (IMHO my best decision ever) and I'm soooo excited with it - I've never imagine working in 3d could be so fan with LW. I bought LW9.0 with manual, but for me that's not enought.
Now I have good occasion to buy books Inside Lightwave 6,7,8 by Dan Ablan from som man. I would like to ask you, can it worth it ? I mean to buy all of them ? You know I'm used to buy books for 3dsmax and there is usually very simillar books in series - for example difference between ver. 3,4,5, is only in some updated articles, but all tutorials and examples are the same. I would like to know if Inside LW serie 6,7,8 have different tutorials, different projects and examples. Maybe it's better to buy only 8 or wait for Inside 9. But I heared from some people that they have all the book from inside LW serie.
The price which I would pay for these 3 book is cool, so please give me advice if it is worth to have all of them.
Thank you very much for any suggests.
Jakub (Morte), happy owner of LW 9 ;)

adrian
11-14-2006, 04:29 AM
IMO all of Dan Ablan's Inside books are great. However as you have version 9 it's not worth buying the books for version 6 or 7. Maybe buy Inside Lightwave 8. His new book covering version 9 will be out soon so why not wait for that?

EDIT: I would also recommend his courseware, of which he has quite a collection.

Morte
11-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Thank you Adrian for your fast reply ;) yes you are probably right, i'll wait for 9. Thnx, Morte

colkai
11-14-2006, 06:41 AM
have to disagree here, even his old PowerGuide is worth having for learning.
Sure his new book is LW9 centric, but lost of fun stuff in theolder books to make them a good read. They are still on my shelves, even though other books have bit the dust since.

MiniFireDragon
11-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying to many lightwave 9 user guides right now, we are just entering v9.2. And according to the posted information for 9, the full lightwave release will be spread out over the next 9.x releases. Which means any books written before the final version of 9 will be incomplete and potentially inaccurate.

Hipcheck
11-14-2006, 01:01 PM
I agree with colkai... all of Dan's Inside Lightwave books are very good and worth it. I also highly recommend the 3d Garage courseware.

vic.s
11-15-2006, 02:31 AM
Cau, jestli mas moznost tak kup Inside LW 8, na 9 staci. Inside LW 9 bude tak trochu pokracovanim Inside 8. Na nauceni zakladu je to nejlepsi knizka o LW. V cestine taky vysla "Nazorny pruvodce Lightwave 3D 8" kterou bych taky doporucil.

Lew
11-15-2006, 05:45 AM
I agree with colkai... all of Dan's Inside Lightwave books are very good and worth it. I also highly recommend the 3d Garage courseware.

Yeah, I got the V9 Sigature Courseware and it's been very helpful. I kind of wish I has waited now for the 9.2 update since it seems to have a number of additions. But it's hard to go wrong with any of Dan's training.
Lew

Morte
11-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Thank you guys for all of your suggestions, I very appreciate it ;) Morte

Wordware
11-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Wordware has a complete set of books on Lightwave including:

Essential LightWave 3D 8
Lightwave 3D 8 Lighting
Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing
Lightwave 3D 8: 1001 Tips and Tricks
Lightwave 3D 8 Character Animation
Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation Volume 1: Modeling and Texturing
Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation Volume 2: Rigging and Animation

Updates to 9 for Essential, Lighting, Texturing and Character Animation are in the works right now. Check out our web site for details and updates: www.wordware.com

Have a good one.

Tim McEvoy
Wordware Publishing, Inc.

MiniFireDragon
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I have books from Wordware and Dan Ablan. I do love them and buy them. But buying a book for an unfinished product means u'd have to buy the additional books later, unless u are going to offer addendums?