PDA

View Full Version : Zune in zune out :O)

Kuzey
11-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Man that's one ugly thing...but an interesting/funny read :D

http://www.flx-tech.net/2006/11/zune_on_early_sale_at_bestbuy_1.html

Kuzey

Chilton
11-12-2006, 09:08 AM
The error pic is my favorite...

Installation Error (http://static.flickr.com/103/294929001_b67b0b5225.jpg)

"Zune falled down! Head trauma is fun!"

-Chilton

dglidden
11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
"Hello from Seattle" because "Designed by Microsoft in Washington" would be a) too much of a ripoff even for Microsoft and b) inaccurate considering it was actually designed by Toshiba in Japan...

Chilton
11-12-2006, 07:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how well the social networking aspect of Zune and Vista work. Uncharted waters, these are...

Yamba
11-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Mmmmmmm baby poo brown. Is it any wonder they're throwing themselves on the ground and writhing in pain.

Too much, too late.
Yamba

Darth Mole
11-13-2006, 08:21 AM
It will be interesting to see how well the social networking aspect of Zune and Vista work. Uncharted waters, these are...

Into Yoda turning you might be....

Matt
11-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Have to say, once again Microsoft copy Apple but miss the point. The Zune from what I've seen is hideous looking, a poor attempt at the iPod.

I can't imagine the software being any better either, especially when you see their attempts with Windows Media Player.

I won't be selling my 8GB Nano in a hurry.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Into Yoda turning you might be....
To have a Jedi programming, good news for Mac community is.

dglidden
11-14-2006, 09:16 AM

Considering all the Digital Usage Restriction code they have stuffed into these things, "Anti-social networking" is probably a better description.

The sad part is, whenever someone else picks up on that idea (which is, in typical microsoft fashion, an interesting idea hideously executed) they can just barely cripple it and users will be ecstatic that it's not utterly crippled compared to the Zune. When companies think of "consumers" instead of "users" you get stuff like the Zune. I'm not saying Apple is that much better, but they do seem to at least give some thought to what you should be able to do with your iPod versus what you shouldn't.

Also I'm sure everyone has heard that Universal Music is getting $1 from every Zune sale because, in the words of Universal CEO Doug Morris, "These devices are just repositories for stolen music and they all know it. So it's time to get paid for it."

I do so love the music industry. It almost makes me feel clean for working in the software industry!

dglidden
11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Also I'm sure everyone has heard that Universal Music is getting $1 from every Zune sale because, in the words of Universal CEO Doug Morris, "These devices are just repositories for stolen music and they all know it. So it's time to get paid for it."

Which brought up the interesting question, since Universal has stated that I'm paying $1 to pay for "stolen music" when I purchase a Zune, does that give me the right to go ahead and download all the Universal music I want, since I have now paid for it.

(Stupid 2-minute edit rule!)

___mats___
11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
ack, it creeps me everytime I relate Seattle with MS.. I love the Seattle area too much, wish Apple was based HERE instead !

John the Geek
11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Which brought up the interesting question, since Universal has stated that I'm paying $1 to pay for "stolen music" when I purchase a Zune, does that give me the right to go ahead and download all the Universal music I want, since I have now paid for it.

Brilliant observation! If users are being coerced into paying for something they may or may not have stolen does it nullify any litigation against them if they do later steal it? Since, by Universal's own admittance, they have paid for it with their Zune purchase. Does buying a Zune grant me the legal right to scavenge Limewire for Universal Artists and place those songs on my device I bought solely as a repository for stolen music and we all know it, hence the Zune tax inception?

=)

Johnny
11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
welcome to the social? huh???

that looks about as much fun as corrective footware.

gil bates will go to his mink-lined GRAVE never having bested apple in any arena other than raking in more dough.

yeesh!

J

gatz
11-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Check out this CNN review of the Zune. The NTTimes Tech editor presents the Zune in front of a couple of anchors that start to gush about the iPod shuffle one of them is wearing. It ends with one of the talking heads saying "you'd think Microsoft would have hired some decent designers." Not a compelling premiere.

http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/clickability/index.html?url=/video/business/2006/11/14/sorkin.minding.your.business.cnn

Kuzey
11-15-2006, 04:01 AM
It's a problem MS has had from the start and you would have thought bill would have "got it" by now...never use accountants to do design work and never try to be cool when you aren't.

:D

Kuzey

Kuzey
11-16-2006, 07:15 AM
I found this....funny :D

iPod v Zune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92qi9cx7S0&NR

Kuzey

John the Geek
11-16-2006, 07:39 AM

iPod v Zune:

Kuzey

That's great. Zune is smaller now though, isn't it?

We need a 3D video of Zune VS iPod in battle ala Mortal Kombat style. I'm still a LW noob or else I'd jump right on it...

=)

EDIT:

Yep, "4.4 x 2.4 x 0.58 inches size"

Captain Obvious
11-16-2006, 08:29 AM

iPod v Zune:

Kuzey
The problem with the internet, is that so many people with no sense of humour and no talent what-so-ever can still spread their crappy videos all over the place...

warrenwc
11-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Just heard yesterday; the Zune is incompatible with Vista:bangwall:

Johnny
11-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Isn't that kind of...stupid?

Apple has their failings, but at least their stuff WORKS.

J

CMT
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
The error pic is my favorite...

Installation Error (http://static.flickr.com/103/294929001_b67b0b5225.jpg)

"Zune falled down! Head trauma is fun!"

-Chilton

I'm just trying to figure out from that error photo if it's a social or a makeout session. From what's going on in the upper part of the photo, makes me wonder what's really going on... A threesome?

Jim_C
11-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Just heard yesterday; the Zune is incompatible with Vista

And the problem is?
Vista is not even released yet.
MS has stated they will have a firmware upgrade for Vista compat. when needed.
Is the iPod or iTunes Vista ready?

And no I am not a MS fanboy, just c'mon MS is not THAT stupid.

Kuzey
11-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Well, I found it funny....bill with pie on his face always makes me laugh :D

And if the word Zune does mean what it says in the clip then it's boot up welcome "thanks for coming" is even funnier.

Where's Newtek's Zane, he must have got his zune by now....how is it ?

Kuzey

Chilton
11-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi,

Zane stopped by my darkened corner of NewTek earlier this week, Zune in hand. It's actually pretty well built. It feels slightly heavier than an my second gen iPod, has a textured (almost rubber-ish) case, and a round clicker. The audio quality is on par with the iPod.

I didn't have a video iPod with me to compare to, but the video quality seemed a bit off. However, I suspect that is because the pre-installed videos are fairly compressed already. I further suspect that videos you purchase would be of higher quality.

They have a good idea, but as you know, the devil is always in the details. We'll see how well it does in the market.

-Chilton

Kuzey
11-18-2006, 07:22 AM
It would be interesting to see how he feels about it in a week or two..after the new gadget novelty wears off :D

Kuzey

marble_sheep
11-18-2006, 12:31 PM
wel-
come
to the
social

I mean, seriously... who designs this crap? You'd think being based near Seattle they could find some decent graphic designers. And maybe a decent copywriter.

The harder MS tries to be "cool", the more annoying they become. Heh, it reminds me of that episode (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g0x_beavis-and-butthead-evolution-sucks) of Beavis and Butthead where Beavis keeps trying to say he hangs with Snoop and is a "straight G." Butthead replies, "You've never been to Compton, you're never going to go to Compon, you're going to be here for the rest of your life, you don't have any money, and you're never going to score."

Yep, pretty well sums up Microsoft! :D Well, except the money part, obviously. They do that pretty well.

They might as well have just called it the "z00n" to appeal to all the l337 script kiddies that are going to buy it...

RonGC
11-18-2006, 01:15 PM
And the problem is?
Vista is not even released yet.
MS has stated they will have a firmware upgrade for Vista compat. when needed.
Is the iPod or iTunes Vista ready?

And no I am not a MS fanboy, just c'mon MS is not THAT stupid.

Look at Internet Explorer, how many tries and they still cant get it right, dont understimate the stupidity of big corporations. In general the bigger they are the more out of touch with their consumers/users they become.

Ron