PDA

View Full Version : DEM's for Mac

eidetiken
11-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Not really a Lightwave Plugin... yet. But I've managed to write a small program to turn DEM files into .lwo for Mac OS X. Right now that's all it does. When the Lightwave UB comes out I'll try make it a plugin. Problem is I still know very little about Lightwave.

Right now I'm working on stitching several DEM files together. Have all the Hawaiian Island DEM's and working on having the little program make an accurate representation of the Islands.

It's a start.

North Seattle.lwo shown below.

byte_fx
11-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Betcha Chilton or other Mac programmers here can give you can give a hand.

byte_fx

John the Geek
11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Forgive me.

What's a DEM?

Chilton
11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
US Geological Survey/National Mapping Division's Digital Elevation Model standard.

All of these terrain maps are free, and online. And I suspect it will be much easier to write a plug-in for LW once the UB ships. XCode rocks.

Hmmmm...

-Chilton

eidetiken
11-11-2006, 06:46 PM
hmmm... right now its a terminal program written in Objective-C and still not completely accurate.

Chilton
11-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi Eidetiken,

That's perfect! I don't think you'll have much of a problem turning that into a LightWave plug-in.

-Chilton

eidetiken
11-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Chilton,
Hope you pay attention to displacement mapping in the UB. Getting a lot of unexpected quits. Guess I should clarify for other people, the program converts DEM's to grayscale TIFF, doesn't actually save .lwo files.

eidetiken
11-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Chilton,

Is it possible to create an infinite plane in Layout?