PDA

View Full Version : Camera Surface Baker .. merging uvs and adding black spots?

qwerty
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey!

I am trying to bake lighting on a human figure, it uses 3 uvs - face, upper body, and lower body. When I render using Camera Surface Baker it merges all the uvs and adds black spots eveywhere. Picture in point: http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/5276/lwblackspotsri4.jpg

Attatched are is my scene and object file in zip format. Hope someone can find the problem, I'm fairly new to all this ^_^

greatly appreciated

Exception
11-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Ok, I see what's wrong...

You're using an .obj file, which is asking for trouble. Always open external file formats in modeler first, check wether they're decent, and then save out as .lwo before doing things with them such as rendering.
In this case, Lw is actually rendering correctly, but the imported UV map is a mess. There are several sets of UV coordinates laying on top of one another.

Either find a way to convert this object from wherever it came with the Uv maps intact, or recreate the UV maps in modeler. I'd suggest, since this is a character, downloading the free PLG uv pelt mapping tools for this, as they're going to give you the best results.

You can also copy and paste the overlapping UV's out into a new uv map.

Oh yes, in modeler, you can also convert the object to a subpatch object. It needs to be subpatched, its all chunky now.

The object might get better if you merge its points too, but do that last.

Exception
11-09-2006, 04:44 PM
This object was converted from OBJ to LWO using Accutrans3D... This preserves the UV maps.
I also made it a MetaNurb surface in modeler.

You'll find that this will work a lot better!

qwerty
11-09-2006, 04:52 PM
This object was converted from OBJ to LWO using Accutrans3D... This preserves the UV maps.
I also made it a MetaNurb surface in modeler.

You'll find that this will work a lot better!

Thanks, I loaded that into LW and rendered but it just came up with a black image. hmm

Exception
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Oh, I frogot to merge the layers in modeler, and then merge the points. don't forget to do that, or she'll have seams across her body.

Exception
11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks, I loaded that into LW and rendered but it just came up with a black image. hmm

I dont have any problems with it.

qwerty
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh, I frogot to merge the layers in modeler, and then merge the points. don't forget to do that, or she'll have seams across her body.

How do I merge layers and points in modeler?

Exception
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I think you might find the manual handy at some point to read through...
To merge the layers I just select all of the and cut the contents and paste them into one layer. Merge points is a standard function in the menu's, its shortcut is the 'm' key.

qwerty
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I dont have any problems with it.

I somehow had the wrong UV map checked, fixed, and rendered correctly!

Also, have a few questions about what you've asked me to do earlier - for future reference.

"recreate the UV maps in modeler. I'd suggest, since this is a character,
downloading the free PLG uv pelt mapping tools for this"

I am not sure how to recreate UV maps, I will have to research that. You
mentioned "free PLG uv pelt mapping tools" - what are they and where can I
find them?

"You can also copy and paste the overlapping UV's out into a new uv
map."

How?

Oh yes, in modeler, you can also convert the object to a subpatch object.
It needs to be subpatched, its all chunky now.

How?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate you helping me :)

qwerty
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
I think you might find the manual handy at some point to read through...
To merge the layers I just select all of the and cut the contents and paste them into one layer. Merge points is a standard function in the menu's, its shortcut is the 'm' key.

thanks, i thought copying & pasting did the trick but was never positive. once i get some more free time i am going to read the manual, i'm very new to this but it's very exciting.