PDA

View Full Version : Dragging points in v9 subpatch mode

mythek1
11-09-2006, 04:25 AM
I've tried searching for this topic but couldn't find any references to it. I'm probably missing something, but in modeler v9 I can only drag a point using the control cage of an object in subpatch mode. I have to switch modes to get access to the points on the mesh. I prefer to model in subpatch mode and sometimes the points of the cage are buried in the geometry.

I am having to model in version 8.5 at the moment because I can't work without being able to access both cage and mesh in subpatch mode.

Help please. I've probably left some box unchecked.http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing20.gif

evenflcw
11-09-2006, 05:50 AM
If that's the case you aren't in "subpatch mode", you are in catmull-clark mode. In LW9 you can choose which subdivision algorithm/type should be used when tab is pressed. So just change the subd type and hit tab twice (off and back on again).

Proton did a video about this if you want a demonstration.

mythek1
11-09-2006, 07:54 AM
If that's the case you aren't in "subpatch mode", you are in catmull-clark mode. In LW9 you can choose which subdivision algorithm/type should be used when tab is pressed. So just change the subd type and hit tab twice (off and back on again).

Proton did a video about this if you want a demonstration.Thanks for the reply evenflcw and sorry I wasn't very clear. I created a character in Catmull-Cark mode in the same way I worked with subpatch mode in the previous versions. I can't get my modeling head around the other lumpy bumpy looking subpatch mode yet. But like with the 'new' subpatch mode, I want to be able to drag on points on both the mesh and cage in cc mode.

I'll check out the demonstration you suggested.

evenflcw
11-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I'm the one who wasn't clear. The phantom-points-feature which you find so convenient for subpatches simply isn't there yet for catmull-clark subds.

mythek1
11-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Sorry, I'm the one who wasn't clear. The phantom-points-feature which you find so convenient for subpatches simply isn't there yet for catmull-clark subds.

That's what I needed to know thanks.