PDA

View Full Version : Files between 3D Max and LightWave

aso3
11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi,

A friend has made models in 3D studio Max (quite and old version I think). I'm trying to import them into LightWave7, but the mesh is always messed up. Polygons are flipped, placed wrong, etcetera. Now we do it via 3DS. I don't know if the exporter from Max is wrong, the importer from LightWave, or maybe both. Anyway, I'm looking for a way so that everything gets in LightWave in one piece (vice-versa is not required so far). It doesn't have to be very special, just the mesh, uv coords, and material names is enough.

Ideal would be a good working LWO exporter for 3D Max, or an *.Max importer for LightWave (7). But I haven't find much so far... Anyone a good solution?

Greetings,
Rick

MicroMouse
11-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Download AccuTrans 3D from http://www.micromouse.ca/

Use the "File->Open With Options" menu command to open a dialog box.

There is check box called "Use 3DS Key Frame". For some 3DS files the check box has to be checked and for other files the check box should not be checked to place the polygons correctly. There is no information in the 3DS file for the program to handle this automatically.

If the polygons have to be flipped, use the "Align->Start / Stop" menu command to activate tools for doing this.

Wayne

aso3
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Ah, thanks! I try it. Too bad it's not free though. Maybe there are also free tools? I would like to see a *.max importer for LightWave, or something that converts the max file. Or vice-versa, a LWO exporter for Max.

Thanks for helping,
Rick

JohnMarchant
11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Why not export from max as an obj file with mtl file, then import into lightwave. Should be ok, if you have problems to read the mtl file there is a plugin that imports and export mtl files. Try a search on www.flay.com to get the plugin.

Regards, John

MicroMouse
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
3ds Max is the only program that can read .max files.

As John said, export from Max to OBJ and MTl files. Dodgy makes a free plugin that reads the MTL file. Search these forums for the link as I don't have it.

Wayne