PDA

View Full Version : Make Poly - No Normals?

dbuchter
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I am re-making some polys from points on an object. when I do the clockwise point select (4-point polys) and hit "p" sometimes I get standard looking polygons and sometimes I get filled in spaces that are a darker color and don't have the Normal pointer sticking out of them... and in turn, they don't render. What are these things, why can't I build new polys consistently and how would I fix the ones that I created? Thx!

db

StereoMike
11-08-2006, 02:03 PM
check if it has 4 points, i.e. check if it's flat. You get these dark polys when one of the points you selected is in fact two ponts.

Mike

StereoMike
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
cw or ccw point selecting will determine the direction of the normal.
keep in mind that you look through the object in the z-axis view (behind or top left) and therefore you have to adapt the direction (cw or ccw).

Mike

dbuchter
11-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Sweet - had a few stray duplicated points in there, thanks for your help!

Simon
11-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Something it took me ages to figure out was why some polys looked dark and non-planar when they weren't. LW works out the normal using the first, second and last point of a poly. If all those points are in a line it can't work out the normal so it looks non-planar, see the pic attached. (btw if you have LWCAD2 'fix polygons' gets rid of problems like this).