PDA

View Full Version : Bones and HardFX! Sorry Newbie question

outlaw pixel
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
HI, this may be obvious or done to death but I created a character with skelegons and animated his actions. The skelegons are the objects second layer as is (as far as I know) the correct procedure. I then want the character to shatter and so added a HardFx dynamic and a collision, only to find that when I calculated it the model detacted from the bones altogether. I tweaked and tried I was just wondering it it's possible to have a dynamic operator and bones working together? Thanks

Outlaw Pixel

SplineGod
11-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I usually keep the bones in the same layer as the object....less steps to think about. I also tend to rig with bones rather then with skelegons.
Is the character composed of multiple parts or is it a single object? Dynamics and bones can work together depending on what youre doing and how its setup.

outlaw pixel
11-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Well to further complicate your question, its one whole piece, but to shatter polygons have to be deleted and copied back on in modler in order for them to shatter after the collision, but after adding gravity to the dynamic, those pieces fall off regardles due to the gravity even with start by collision switched on, but yes its one whole object, with two layers.

SplineGod
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Bones wont work with the object plus the object has to be cut up into pieces where each piece doesnt share vertices with the other piece. If your character is subpatched this wont work.
I would animate the character and determine when you want him to shatter.
Use the save transformed function to save the character posed on that frame.
Chop that one up into the right number of pieces.
Load that into layout and make it invisible. At the right time make the animated version invisible and make the chopped up one visible and have it explode on that frame.

outlaw pixel
11-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah thats exactly the conclusion i came to, but I'm just surprised it's not possible, so I thought I'd ask the forums, thx or your replys.

SplineGod
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Even if it did work it would make the process complicated because you would have to cut up your character and unweld sections. This would look ugly if the character is subpatched.
Another option would be to free the character and cut it up into pieces, Parent each pieced to a bone. At the right time do the dissolve thing.