PDA

View Full Version : Serious Stability Issues

Filmdesigner
11-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey All.

I thought it was time to post another appeal for help with getting my LW9 Layout to be more stable. I have recently bought a copy of FPrime (view my other Post) and have found it makes LW far more unstable than before (crashes it totally, actually). I have got used to LW crashing numerous times a day and am now in the habit of quitting LW before every render to give me a little bit of added stability.

Now this isn't adding to my productivity. I was wondering if anyone has some ideas as to why my LW9 doesn't appear to like my Mac?

I have done everything suggested to me in the past, including; new systems, updated drivers, cleaning hard-drives, re-installing LW and plugins, etc...

Cheers.

Haven1000
11-08-2006, 09:22 AM
I've found disabling the hub almost removes all stability problems I've had with LW9.

Filmdesigner
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Will try that again. I never understood why the Hub had to be such a problem.

The guys at Worley LAbs suggested my scene sizes of over 9 megapolys might be pushing the 32 bit platform and an upgrade to 64 might fix some of my issues. Any thoughts?

BeeVee
11-09-2006, 02:39 AM
There is no upgrade to 64-bit on Mac possible, at least not until the advent of Leopard...

B

Filmdesigner
11-09-2006, 04:29 AM
This I understood but I thought they were talking generally. The actual system and Os architecture-kinda-thing.

ingo
11-09-2006, 04:58 AM

The guys at Worley LAbs suggested my scene sizes of over 9 megapolys might be pushing the 32 bit platform and an upgrade to 64 might fix some of my issues. Any thoughts?

Sounds odd to me, it depends on how much memory FPrime is able to adress. It looks like its only 2 GB at the moment, but i am not sure since i only have 2.5 GB Ram.

greg.reyna
11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Is anyone having trouble with the Surface Editor crashing LW 9? When I'm working with textures it's just a matter of time until LW either crashes, or hangs forever...

Greg
---
LW 9 (build 998); OS 10.4.8; 800mHZ dp G4; 1.5GB RAM

3dworks
11-21-2006, 01:13 AM
confirmed. the only thing to avoid it is to use the 'pause' button to stop fprime from refreshing when changing textures in the surface editor, which is a real workflow killer.

some time ago i had the tip from the worley support to use the lowest opengl workload possible (disabling texture previews for example) when working with high poly scenes, this way fprime stability is better.

i also noticed much more instability (crashes randomly even when working with gradients) when editing surfaces in 'scene' mode than not in 'object' mode.

please worley, fix all those issues for the next fprime release and give us back the most useful plugin of all times in a better shape ;)

markus

greg.reyna
11-23-2006, 03:31 PM
confirmed. the only thing to avoid it is to use the 'pause' button to stop fprime from refreshing when changing textures in the surface editor, which is a real workflow killer.

Workflow killer is right!

some time ago i had the tip from the worley support to use the lowest opengl workload possible (disabling texture previews for example) when working with high poly scenes, this way fprime stability is better.

Do you ever experience crashes when running Viper? I've been getting that, too. I'm wondering if the Mac has a problem with stability when working with textures at all, or if it's just me. Someone said that my 128 MB Radeon AGP card might be at fault so I switched it out for the NVidia 64 that my machine came with. Stability seems to have improved some, but the crashes continue--only not as quickly. I still have 2 Radeon PCI graphics cards in there though, I'll have to try running the NVidia alone and see what happens.

i also noticed much more instability (crashes randomly even when working with gradients) when editing surfaces in 'scene' mode than not in 'object' mode.

Yikes! for me that would mean crashes every 5, instead of 10 minutes.

please worley, fix all those issues for the next fprime release and give us back the most useful plugin of all times in a better shape ;)

markus

I hear that Windows machines have trouble with LW9/FPrime too, but AFAIK they aren't seeing crashes from Surface/Texture Editor work like some Mac users are.

Greg

toby
11-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Wait - you mean 9 Million polys?! AND with FPrime?? YEA it'll crash! Fprime duplicates all the geometry in the scene for its renders. I can't believe you're getting 9m polygons into LW in the first place - and then FPrime doubles it. Or do you mean 900k?

toby
11-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm really curious Filmdesigner, were you getting 9m polygons into Layout? That would be amazing, I've never tried it on the Mac, but I know the PC can't render more than 5m. The guys at Zoic had to load in pieces of the Battlestar Galaictica because it was 5m ~

Filmdesigner
12-01-2006, 02:31 PM
My biggest scenes are almost 15 megapolys as I use 3D trees and foliage. I am altering my work habits to reduce this, but my biggset scene file was almost 20 megapolys! A boatyard and Marina done for still images.

Have a look at my site:

www.crayonagency.com/gallery.htm

I still consider myself a newbie as I doubt I have touched on less than 5% of LW's capabilities. I like my 3D trees as it gives me a lot to play with in Photoshop but kills my render times.

To mention my stability issues; I killed (removed from existence) the Hub and associated files. I rarely crash now except when using FPrime. HArdly surprising, really.

Cheers.

Chilton
12-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Those are some awesome renders.

-Chilton

ingo
12-02-2006, 02:24 AM
My biggest scenes are almost 15 megapolys as I use 3D trees and foliage. I am altering my work habits to reduce this, but my biggset scene file was almost 20 megapolys! A boatyard and Marina done for still images....

Yep, me too. I have rarely a scene under 2 megapolys because of the 3D foliage. A good trick when you have many of the same trees in a scene is to render one tree only - with a plate behind it for easier alpha channel - and than place this image clipmapped in the scene instead of the 3D object. And yes, native instancing would be nice for LW...

toby
12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
My biggest scenes are almost 15 megapolys as I use 3D trees and foliage. I am altering my work habits to reduce this, but my biggset scene file was almost 20 megapolys! A boatyard and Marina done for still images.
See this is what I mean when I say that Lightwave on the Mac is at least as good as the PC version. Some of the most hardcore Lightwave PC guys, Zoic studios, Digital Domain, could only get 5 million polygons into 32 bit LW. Despite the fact that LW is currently only a port to OSX, the operating system more than makes up for it.

I'm betting the Mac version will be clearly dominant when 'Chil' is done with the UB!

So if we sign up for the 9.2 Beta, we get to use the UB beta, right?

Chilton
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi,

Yes, the Universal Binary will go into Open Beta as soon as we think it's ready. It's just not there yet.

-Chilton