PDA

View Full Version : Vue6 UB?

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Has anyone tried the Vue6 UB prerelease download?

How is it... and how well does it work with Lightwave without Extreme?

3dworks
11-22-2006, 03:52 AM
vue6 infinite seems to be a very nice upgrade. couldn't test much yet, but the LW object and scene support seems to be fine. render speed is much improved and the interface is better and less 'toy' style (for my taste), so it seems to be well worth the bucks...

the latest version update is pretty stable, but network rendering on macs seems still not to work as expected. also, waiting for the xstream version on mac, of course ;)

markus

JohnMarchant
11-22-2006, 04:11 AM
I read on another forum that someone got the vue 6 pre release and it crashes like a drunken driver, it has some serious stability issues and he said that its nigh on unusable in its current state. Dont know how true this is but i cant see any reason for him to be telling porkie pies (LIES) :):).

I think im going to wait a bit, if it delivers what it says it will then i will be very happy but i have learnt the art of patience now so i will give it a few months of release before i commit to buying.

Regards, John:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

JohnMarchant
11-22-2006, 04:13 AM
PS, this might be a windows issue though so maybe it does not effect the mac version.

3dworks
11-22-2006, 04:49 AM
I read on another forum that someone got the vue 6 pre release and it crashes like a drunken driver, it has some serious stability issues and he said that its nigh on unusable in its current state. Dont know how true this is but i cant see any reason for him to be telling porkie pies (LIES) :):).

I think im going to wait a bit, if it delivers what it says it will then i will be very happy but i have learnt the art of patience now so i will give it a few months of release before i commit to buying.

Regards, John:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

vue 6 prerelease has been more stable than vue 5 for me, so far (testing on G5). the old version crashed quite often, not so much the new one. this is my first impression after loading some content and setting up a simple test project (the classic tropical island in the crystal water ocean, hehe). i'm going on testing it, so maybe i can tell you more in a few days.

probably platform issues are important for stability, as well as video card issues, so the experiences may be quite different from user to user.

markus

NickLambert
11-22-2006, 05:16 AM
Has anyone tried the Vue6 UB prerelease download?

How is it... and how well does it work with Lightwave without Extreme?

Well worth the upgrade, been using since 15th Nov & with recent update I'm loving it.

Intergration with LW is still good, but I've not tried Extreme to compare.

Sekhar
11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
I have the xStream 6, but they don't have the plugs out yet; so it basically works like Vue 6 for now. I had a bunch of crashes too on Win32, but the new build has fixed things. Anybody tried animations (to see if we still get flickering)?

etyrihje
11-22-2006, 05:11 PM
I want to pop in a question here to users of Vue:

Is Vue a good place for me to build scenery and then to export to layout for animation with my lightwave-built things?

I am working on a new project that will require a lot of plants/trees to look good, and the budget will allow me to purchase Vue 6, is that a good plan?

thanks!

avkills
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
etyrihje,

I would maybe wait for xStream to make an appearance for the Mac as it is basically Vue running within your 3D app of choice. But you probably have a turn around, so it can't wait. I have Vue 5 Infiniti and to be honest I have not really messed around with it much. From what I have seen on Eon site about Vue6, I am seriously considering paying for the upgrade. The plant growth painting alone looks worth it. I guess I am not much of a fan since it feels just like a juiced up Bryce. Version 6 is supposed to be quite different.

-mark

NickLambert
11-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Is Vue a good place for me to build scenery and then to export to layout for animation with my lightwave-built things?

Have a look here (http://www.esnips.com/UserProfileAction.ns?id=40dacfe2-91ce-475f-84e5-1805f766e6b9) for a good basic idea of infinite intergration, and other great tutorials.

AsileFX have a tutorial here (http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=6&ProductID=10), but it's $40

Good user interview here (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/syvertsen/2.html), you'll need to scroll down a bit

e-on's press stuff here (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_5_infinite/?page=13)

IMHO unless you can hold out for Xstream, go get it :thumbsup:

Sekhar
11-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I've had xStream 5 and had tested it some with LW9, and I can tell you it makes integration dramatically simple. Renders faster and somewhat better too. Do a search for xStream on these forums and you'll find many posts/samples (I've posted some myself). Granted, you're looking at $549 vs. $249, but that's the only downside as far as I can see.

kopperdrake
11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm trying to get renders out of Vue6 that are flicker-free but struggling, even on the Ultra render setting. If I find a way of getting rid of them then I'll post here. It's not on the vegetation, as used to be the problem in Vue5, but I'm getting it on a rock texture on the side of a mountain - really bad. No doubt there's a way to swat this but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

kfinla
11-29-2006, 08:32 AM
is Vue6 xstream gonna even be on OSX? I remember looking and got the impression it was only being made for WIN. Vue6 seemed too much like Bryce without the integration that came with Xstream.

kfinla
11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
sorry, did some more reading, guess they updated things in the FAQ...

When will xStream for Mac OSX be released?

Although we are commited to making Vue 6 xStream for Mac OSX happen, we are currently facing technical issues that prevent us from setting any firm schedule.

NickLambert
11-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Although we are commited to making Vue 6 xStream for Mac OSX happen, we are currently facing technical issues that prevent us from setting any firm schedule.

To be fair there are some major changes to LW on the mac, UB & Xcode migration will effect all third party products. So e-on are facing the same
problems as everyone.

It's times like this you have to ask yourself:

Do I want the truth?... and still not know when, where, how?
or
Do I want to be lied to?... and at least be happy untill the promise is broken?

I admire Newtek & e-on for giving us the truth, and for sticking with the mac platform. :boogiedow

eidetiken
11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Well I got the Vue 6 prerelease upgrade. Right now, on my Intel iMac, Vue 6 only does half of what the E-on site says it will do. Mostly it just crashes, and it hangs and crashes a lot. If this thing is UB it is a good example of a REALLY BAD UB. Have to wait and see what the final release turns out.

Yacomo
11-30-2006, 12:22 AM
As they said, it's a pre-release and problems are to be expected. At least they were honest.

But yes, I tested it only a couple of hours on my 24" iMac and in that period it crashed and locked itself up quite a lot of times. Shelved it and am waiting for the final release now.