PDA

View Full Version : LW 9: MultiShift - New Surface?

jmcinnis
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I am attempting to use MultiShift's numeric panel to create a "New Surface" for each new shift by checking the "new surface" toggle and entering a new name in the "surface name" field. However, after exiting the tool, only one new surface has been created for all new geometry (the original surface of the multishifted polygon remains).

Is it possible to create a new surface for each new shift in MultiShift?

Using Mac LW 9 on OS 10.3.9

Lewis
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Nope, not at once, you could do it only by making each shift separate (turn off MS and agian turn on and change surface name).

Out of couriosity can you explain me why would you need that ? Maybe there is other solution if you can show us what you are making ?

cheers

jmcinnis
11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for confirming that.

Its nothing I'm making, I just was using MultiShift and wondered if a new surface on each shift was possible or if I was not using it properly. If I were making something, I would do as you suggested and create the shifts, then surface them per usual.

Lewis
11-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok then :).

byte_fx
11-10-2006, 02:29 PM
One reason for multiple surface names during MS ....

Makes it nice and easy to apply different specularity settings to various levels of multibeveled edges. Useful when you want to kick the center bevel edge a bit more than those on either side. And those successively less the further they are from the center. And the main body even less.

Can give a really nice effect.

And sure beats having to go back and pick out individual polys and rename their surfaces.

byte_fx