PDA

View Full Version : snow,tree,gravity/wind and colision!

Otterman
11-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Ok, christmas is coming and my MD is getting fat. Just been handed a mother of a project brief thats gonna stretch my lightwave abilities to the full.

Create an animation of falling snow that accumulates on a tree.

What am I looking at here- particles/hypervoxels? gravity/wind and colision?

Seriously, any pointers would be great, ive no idea when it comes to this! Never even touched this before!

Ive seen mentioned in this forums archives of a suitable example but can find it myself.

Help pease or it will be my neck on the carving table and not the turkeys.

IZZE
11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I really dont know anything about HV's etc. but I know that there have been a few threads on this and when searching found a few ideas that you could try. http://www.newtek.com/forums/search.php?searchid=396512

IZZE
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
search "falling snow"

Otterman
11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey thanks for your investigations but Ive check out 'snow', 'fall' and 'snowfall' already. Not much informaton here except the suggestion of using the HV emmiter suggestions of having them clumb together by giving particles interaction (bounce).

Is this the way to go!. How do I get the particles to clumb onto another object also?

Another twist in the tail of this mother of all briefs,- the 'snow' is not actually snow, but paint. So its got to liquify on contact. The image supplied is a photoshop image giving the 'dripping paint' effect that is desired.

Am I taking on too much with this or anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share and enlighten my path!

Otterman
11-08-2006, 02:19 AM
Heres hoping the image is attached this time, if not sorry for lack of image, this attaching is a no go.

pooby
11-08-2006, 03:17 AM
For the dripping paint, Film some milk or white paint dribbling down against some black card and use the footage as an alpha sequence for your texturing.
(after effects will help with combining different bits of footage together to create the overall image)

Trying to do this in LW alone will cause you no end of grief, and I can't see it producing a realistic result.

Using the technique above works very well. I used it on a commercial where the main character got milk splashed on his face, and it was suprisingly effective.

SplineGod
11-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Break it down in discreet parts.
The snow is pretty easy to do with a particle emitter with sprite HVs attached to those. Use the gravity setting to make the particles fall. A wind emitter can also randomize how the particles fall.

You can make the clumpy build up on the tree in several ways. You can make the tree a collision object and set to stick instead of bounce so the particles stick when they hit. Another way is instead of making the tree a collision object, you can make it a particle emitter so particles start building up on its surfaces so it appears that particles are sticking as they fall.

Theres also a setting where the particles spawn other particles when they strike a collision object. Heres a free plugin that you can use to get the paint flowing effect:
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/textures/ParticlePaint.html

On top of all that you can use animated procedurals/images on the tree sufaces in conjunction with any of the above suggestions. :)

Otterman
11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Larry you are the don. Sound advice as always. The plug-in you've pointed out just might cut it. Your training tuts are gonna come in handy for this one for sure- I have your email address so expect to here from me soon.

In the meantime, Im gonna experiment with this one and let you know my findings. Its gonna get messy, relly messy!

SplineGod
11-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks Andrew! :)
Its always a good idea to break things down into workable chuncks and determine a plan of action for each part. Many times you can use methods to get an effect that you didnt think about.