PDA

View Full Version : Id like to have your thoughts on this Laptop deal

DiedonD
11-07-2006, 05:50 AM
The processor is Core 2 Duo T5600, 1.83Ghz (I think this is its weakness, and its the only thing that Im having a dilemma with)

Graphic Card is NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with 512MB

And it has 1GB of RAM

It also comes with accessories like: Bluetooth, remote control, webcam, and softwares like Word and Office. But thats not important all that much (But I wouldnt mind having them of course)

All this is for 2240 $

Now it should sound expensive for some of ou that live overseas. But thats the cheapest I could find with the characteristics that we need. The other one was nowhere near it, was DELL (This is HP BTW) and it was 2130 Euros thats far more expensive and doesnt meet our criteria.

Your thoughts.... Cause Im trying to make the deal today...

DiedonD
11-07-2006, 06:23 AM
Does anyone has any difficulties in using LW with:

Nvidia GeForce Go 7200 256MB Turbocache

The processor is AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56

2GB of Ram?

Thanks is advance

Sensei
11-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Sounds like HP Compaq nw8440 from description? It has poor 17" LCD display..
I have Toshiba Satellite P100-219 with dual core 2.0 GHz 667 MHz, 1 GB, and 100 GB HDD, DVD+RWx16, 17" for $2500, it has better LCD than 8440, dramatically better..
But Fujitsu Siemens have series with 1.66-1.83 dual cores (but with 15") far far better LCD quality..
If you can afford look at Toshiba Quosmo, they have one of the best LCD I saw ever..

Sensei
Does anyone has any difficulties in using LW with:

Can you tell what is the problem?

Phil
Personally, I opted for a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB 15" MacBook Pro (*phew* long description). The pricing seems extremely keen for what it comes with, and you can run Windows on it as well as OSX.

17" was just too **** big and Dell's machines couldn't be equipped to match the price for the same features. I'm also not sure how well the AMD chips do with respect to battery life and heat generation. It depends on how portable you want it to be.

DiedonD
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
I really appreciate your comments guys. Heres what I need,

My firm is making my job portable. You know, going here and there travelling all around,convincing people that we are the best. Marketing stuff.

I gather I need the laptop for approximately 4 hours a day, while I travel, but I'll be using a car power socket, so its not much up to batteries. I have a driver an all.

So I need LW to work well with this HP, animation included.

Sensei, its HP dv9000z series the first one, and its dv60000z series in the second one. Youve heard any bad rumors about this. And dv6187z comes with only 1gb of RAM, but its cheaper.
I do have a monster already, I gather dont need another one.
So my concern is things like that. Like would the graphic support LW, would AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8 Ghz and NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 with 256MB with only 1GB of Ram support LW during my travels.

Any bad rumors about this one Sensei or anybody. If theres some LCD problem its a definite NO. Ive had that once already...

Again I appreciate your participation in my decision making, greatly

DiedonD
11-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Sounds like HP Compaq nw8440 from description? It has poor 17" LCD display..

How bad is that Sensei. I had a laptop HP before with low graphic card. ANd what happeed is points wouldnt be seemed selected on that particular viewport. I had to moe it a bit so as to be seen again. Are you talking about that kind of a bad LCD, or what? Whats so bad Sensei?

Sensei
11-07-2006, 07:24 AM
I was running lightwave just a few minutes on hp 8440, so could not speak about such problems, tested more dual-core rendering speed than modeling with touchpad.. ;) But it just had LCD that has the lowest angle I ever seen.. maybe in the first desktop 15" LCD I saw worser, but I am used to perfect quality Samsung 19" 170 degrees in HV for more than 2 1/2 years..

What you said sounds like using different resolution than native one to me..

cresshead
11-07-2006, 11:30 AM
macbook pro is the better option....faster cheaper and better quality plus run winxp just fine..it's 'pc' nowdays.

T-Light
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Are you thinking 1.83GHZ and linking that to a relative P4 clock speed? If so don't, it isn't relative :) Centrino's are a lot quicker than the clock speeds would have you think. When I started looking a few years ago a 1.6GHZ centrino would outstrip a desktop 2.4GHZ AMD.

As for laptops, my HP is three years old now and still going strong (touch wood). The screen is a 15.4" widescreen 1680*1050 display. It's perfect, although I think they ditched this particular model due to problems getting parts (I believe it was screen panels but could be wrong).

Good luck and happy hunting :)

Speedmonk42
11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Personally, I opted for a 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB 15" MacBook Pro (*phew* long description). The pricing seems extremely keen for what it comes with, and you can run Windows on it as well as OSX.

17" was just too **** big and Dell's machines couldn't be equipped to match the price for the same features. I'm also not sure how well the AMD chips do with respect to battery life and heat generation. It depends on how portable you want it to be.

I find it impossible to believe a similiarly speced 15.4 inch Mac was cheaper than a Dell.

RonGC
11-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I find it impossible to believe a similiarly speced 15.4 inch Mac was cheaper than a Dell.

Better get used to it, the New macs are fast powerful and price competitive. Come with great LCD screens. They are not to be discounted out of hand anymore, those days are history. LOL

Ron

Speedmonk42
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Better get used to it, the New macs are fast powerful and price competitive. Come with great LCD screens. They are not to be discounted out of hand anymore, those days are history. LOL

Ron

I don't discount anything, but I still don't believe it.

I suppose it is getting more difficult to ascribe holy qualities to the machines these days because they are just PCs cranked out of the same ODM factories as all the other laptops.

The last time I configured a Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen and decent graphics card with a NON 4200RPM drive to a similiarly speced Mac it was still nearly 800 dollars cheaper. That was a couple of months ago.

Maybe it has changed, but that woudl reflect a huge price drop.

RonGC
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't discount anything, but I still don't believe it.

I suppose it is getting more difficult to ascribe holy qualities to the machines these days because they are just PCs cranked out of the same ODM factories as all the other laptops.

The last time I configured a Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen and decent graphics card with a NON 4200RPM drive to a similiarly speced Mac it was still nearly 800 dollars cheaper. That was a couple of months ago.

Maybe it has changed, but that woudl reflect a huge price drop.

Well since then the mac has had a Processor update, bigger Hard drive more ram capability, etc. A huge speed bump and more capable machine. No Price boost for much more computer. Nothing stands still for long LOL.

I would expect quad cores soon.

Ron

Jockomo
11-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I may be a bit late in this conversation to help, but I'd suggest checking out the dell outlet. I recently purchased an M90 with the quadro 2500 video card and am loving it. The best part is that buying it through the outlet saved me about $2k.

It was a refurbished model, but it comes with the full warranty, I got the extended one that covers things like me spilling a beer in it... not that anything like that ever happened to me... ahem... and there wasn't a scratch or anything wrong with it. I'm very pleased. Originally I'd had it with dell, but I found out that if you get a higher end model you get better support than the people who buy the cheap models get.