PDA

View Full Version : Why the NDA and closed forum on 9.2?

Speedmonk42
11-07-2006, 02:53 AM
I guess I could see it on a xx.0 release. But even then I don't know anymore.

What secrets are there?

If 9.2 is fixing bugs and problems in 9.0, the wider that information is spread the better.

Surely the open beta could not stop any corporate espionage(which in todays market seems like moot concept) and the greater the communication with customers and the public the better... why bother?

Dodgy
11-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Because beta forums by their nature are overly negative, this could put people who visit the forum off buying the product.

EmperorPete
11-07-2006, 03:23 AM
Yup. If you could look through a beta forum, you'd see thread after thread of problems. Even though these problems would be in the process of being addressed, it's hardly positive press for a prospective buyer.

colkai
11-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Yup, don't forget, this software is still in development and by it's nature is still in flux.

You'd only get folks complaining about the number of releases needed etc.. but then most people don't really understand the nature of software development cycles so it's best kept out of the public eye.

It also provides more focus as people on the Beta WANT to break the software and find bugs, most people ant stable software to use on a daily basis, which is almost the opposite of what beta testing is all about.

colkai
11-07-2006, 04:39 AM
That too maybe, but Beta not being public is more to do with control of the testing / development process. Sometimes as well, you don't want new users in the Beta as they maybe don't understand that this is not "final", I've certainly seen people on Beta forums complaining about that sort of thing.