PDA

View Full Version : Please explain why there is only 1 undo in Layout?

Carbon71
06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Could someone please explain why there is only 1 undo in layout? And more importantly why it doesn't work sometimes!
I just finished making some changes to a scene in layout, then I thought I might "move path" on my animation path. Whoops! moved it may too much. Well, I'll just undo....Nope! "can't undo last action"

Sigh...<repressing impulse to throw computer out window>...

Can anyone explain why the 1 mesily (sp?) undo in layout doesn't work sometimes?

Also what level of hell would have to freeze over before multiple undos were allowed in Layout?

Carbon

P.S. someone's going to tell me to save my scene every 5 seconds right?

Doug Nicola
06-12-2003, 07:17 PM
There are actually an infinite number of undos in Layout. Just hop on over to the parallel universe where you didn't make the changes. I do it all the time, and I don't know what all the griping is about.

pospi
06-12-2003, 11:37 PM
actually, i'd have to agree with Carbon. Whilst undos certainly aren't as necessary as they are in modeller, it would be nice (if possible) for multiple undo levels to be implemented in later versions, or an external plugin to do it...
I find i stuff things up when i forget whether auto key create is on or off, but thats probably just me being newbie (:

toby
06-13-2003, 03:33 AM
I've seen a multiple undo plug-in on Flay.com (I think) - do a search

luckily for me I started learning graphics on Photoshop 4 - only one undo back then - it makes you careful about what you're doing, save often, remember what your previous setting was, etc.

Do 3DSMax or Maya have multiple undos? I have to think that it's more complicated than it sounds, trying to undo complex calculations - or maybe it takes too much ram.

Carbon71
06-13-2003, 09:01 AM
I found an undo script here:
http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/25220.html?1027145834

I'll give it a shot an see how it goes.

"I have to think that it's more complicated than it sounds, trying to undo complex calculations - or maybe it takes too much ram."

Yeah I'd like to think that the LW code is so revolutionary and complex that it prohibits multiple-undos. Until of course, when they revamp the code and make it possible in lw8. ;p

Please let me know if anyone has anything better than this script.

marvin
06-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Maya and 3ds Max DO have multiple undos. You can set the number to be whatever you want. They do however, also retain construction history for objects. Since LW is split into two work areas, the construction history would be a thing for modeller.

Back to the main topic; There should still be multiple undos in layout though. I've always found that to be a major problem with LW. Even if you do constantly save...you move something 1 meter over, save move a light, save, then realize you wanted to move that object back to it's original position. Okay, my example is bad because you could enter the number in the coordinate box, but I think people get my point! Getting frustrated thinking how you can't undo in layout.

marvin

Carbon71
06-13-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm sure "multiple undos in layout" have been on the LW wishlist for years right? I guess people just gave up?

Has anyone from Newtek ever addressed the issue in anyway? I would love for someone to just come forward and say,"Look people, we know 1 undo sucks, but we painted ourselves into a hole with the code and we can't figure out how to get more than 1 undo and we're not going to try anymore, so stop bitchin."

That would at least put the issue to rest. Well it would for me at least.

toby
06-13-2003, 12:46 PM
yea, it's been on the wish list for a long time

Definitely let us know how that script works out

wacom
06-13-2003, 01:09 PM
I think if the undos were limited to the object(s) selected then it could work to our advantage. Then you'd know if you were undoing a really complex portion or not. Besides- isn't nice to use our Gig or RAM for more than just rendering? RAM is cheap- give me an undo option and the option to turn it off!

Carbon71
06-16-2003, 07:17 AM
I wrote the guy about the undo-redo script for LW here's his reply:

"> Tom where can I get more info on your undo-redo script?
>
> Is this the only info?
> http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/25220.html?1027145834
>
> which links to here to get the latest version:
> http://www.lightwave-outpost.com/%7Ebhood/LScript/v25patch.html

I provided that link because you need LScript v2.5.1 to run the undo-redo
script. Download the lcore3.dll file from Bob's site and use it to replace
the one located in your LightWave\Programs\ dir. The old one v2.5 (included
in LW 7.5) should be 1,668KB and the new one v2.5.1 should be 1,688KB."

Thought someone else besides me might want to try it.

Chuck
06-16-2003, 08:40 AM
If running 7.5c you don't need to download and install the LCore.dll that provides LScript 2.5.1. The 7.5c LCore provides LScript 2.6.1.

prospector
06-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Could someone please explain why there is only 1 undo in layout?

This is an easy one.

LW originaly was packaged with the Amiga Toaster.
That was a non-linear editor, and LW was like a plug-in thingy,(to make graphics for your film).

Because of that, the LW format has continued to be a sort of non-linear workflow.

When multi-undos are installed (the normal way, as it is in modeler) then that is called linear.

Hit undo and it just takes you back to where ya was before, even tho ya might want something that ya modeled 2 steps before undone and not the last step.

Layout takes another approach to the multi-undo problem.
The NON_LINEAR way.

thats why all those envelope buttons are being implamented.
go to the graph, undo a key, or undo a channel of a key, or undo complete motion for total time of object.
just like the LAYER buttons in Photoshop.

this SHOULD be the way modeler should go.
that way after modeling 10 different steps on an object, I could go back to the 3rd step and get rid of it and keep the rest of what was done instead of hitting undo 7 times and then redoing it all again except step 3.

papou
06-17-2003, 03:28 PM
the solution is to make only one mistake.
have fun.