PDA

View Full Version : Join the Open Beta now! Would you like to know more?

Chilton
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi,

If you own v9 of LightWave, especially if you're a Mac user, please join the Open Beta program. Your feedback and assistance there would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58508

Thank you,
-Chilton

RonGC
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Chilton,

Joined the Beta, got 9.2 beta installed. Playing with it now. No access as yet to the Beta Forum so i have no idea as to known issues.

Any specific areas of the program that you would like us to concentrate on first. Or do we just ramble through on the great bug hunt of November 06 LOL

Ron

Chilton
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Ramble away!
Find where it breaks
report the bugs via vbugtracker, once you have access to the Open Beta section.
Rinse
Repeat

-Chilton

Drocket
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Chilton,

I would love to but I'm still waiting for the supplier to ship my copy of LW 9.0 (coming up to 4 weeks now :().

Oh well, hopefully the end of this week (funny, I have been saying the same thing for the last two weeks).

Drocket.

gatz
11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm in the same boat as Ron.

rg

Qslugs
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I will install the mac version once the universal version is ready. Actually I need to change my dongle over. I plan on doing that over the next couple days.

Thomas
11-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Hi,

If you own v9 of LightWave, especially if you're a Mac user, please join the Open Beta program. Your feedback and assistance there would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58508

Thank you,
-Chilton
Will do after the weekend! I've got a tradeshow coming up now and gonna be quite busy. But after that! :beta: time...

Couldn't resist this one: http://www.noll1.se/files/LightWave3D92B.zip

Regards
Thomas

BazC
11-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Already registered, installed and running Capn'!

mike_stening
11-07-2006, 04:29 AM
just downloading and will have installed and ready for action asap
reporting for duty. out!

Kuzey
11-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Although I have Lw9 but can't use it, I'm hoping I can still get in like last time and be part of the cheer squad and maybe even come up with an idea or two for 9.2 :lightwave

Anway...I'm waiting for customer service to get back to me.

Kuzey

John the Geek
11-07-2006, 06:37 AM
I like the icon, Very cool.

Installed and waiting for the forum to discuss it. So, it's a given that we should run with the Hub on? :hey:

"Oh no, 9.2 shipped with a broken hub!"

"How did that happen?"

"Everyone instinctively ran with it disabled during the entire OpenBeta cycle!"

Yeah, run with the Hub on for a change. =)

Thomas
11-07-2006, 06:45 AM
"Oh no, 9.2 shipped with a broken hub!"

"How did that happen?"

"Everyone instinctively ran with it disabled during the entire OpenBeta cycle!"
:o
Thanks!
Just copied the configs and edited them to suit the new location, didn't think of the "-0"!

Regards
Thomas

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I would, if there was an Open Beta banner on my registration page. Only Lightwave 9 and LWCAD banners are there.

munky
11-07-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi there,

well I've followed the instructions, but I must have done something wrong as my configs are written to the "Mac_OpenBeta" folder and not the Configs folder in the programs folder. Also F12 keeps opening my LW8.5 or 9.0 and not the open beta of modeller or layout.

Errr Help!!!!!!! I'm so dumb!!!!!!

regards

paul

BeeVee
11-07-2006, 07:31 AM
That's because you have run several versions without shutting down the Hub. :( The absolute best thing to do now is to kill all your configs and build them up again from scratch. Sorry Paul. How are your munkies btw?

B

munky
11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Ben,

I didn't have anything open when I opened 9.2 (layout) then when I pressed f12 LW 8.5 opened. Also the cmdline is now empty (is that right?) so it's all gone a bit pear shaped from there. I'm afraid this sort of thing isn't my strong point. Anyway I'll start trashing and see if I can sort it out.

Me Munkies are getting bigger 10 and 8 now so it's all football, Rugby, Swimming, Tae kwon-Doh, surfing (thank god), Warhammer, Homework, School applications for Cale who will go to secondary school next september. Eating me out of house and home. Showing me up at 1. Maths 2. Pro evolution soccer 6 3. pretty much anything on a computer /game that doesn't just require shooting or driving.

and only answering when you ask for the fifth time

just the usual stuff really

but you just gotta love em

regards

paul

John the Geek
11-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I would, if there was an Open Beta banner on my registration page. Only Lightwave 9 and LWCAD banners are there.

Are you logged in with the same username/password you used to register LW9? Under My Products does it show a category for NewTek LightWave 3D v9?

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Same user/pass. Have a NewTek Lightwave v9 banner and LWCAD banner. That's it.

No reply from Customer Service

Kurtis
11-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Assuming you're in North America, Customer Service doesn't open for about another 5 minutes.

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 08:27 AM
were they open yesterday?

John the Geek
11-07-2006, 08:27 AM
No, you misunderstood. Along the top of the text area to the right of those banners are some links: my home | my products | my downloads | my profile | logout

When you click My Products, do you see a category for Lightwave 9?

Kurtis
11-07-2006, 08:29 AM
were they open yesterday?

They are open 9:30am-5:30pm CST Mon-Fri. If you contacted them during those hours and did not get a response, they will probably respond to you today. You can call them at 1-800-862-7837 during those hours as well.

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Nothing under My Products. Everything is under My Downloads. Just downloaded some content stuff I missed.

BeeVee
11-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Hey SmashNCat,

If you've never registered then you won't get the open beta stuff.

B

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 08:37 AM
If I wasn't registered, I wouldn't be able to download Lightwave 9, all the content and help files. Which I have done. So that makes no sense.

colkai
11-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Ok, in "my products", I have a listing for my LW9.0 and my 9.2 (AFTER I registered it). In my downloads, I have a link the the LW9.2 downloads.

You've definitely selected 'Lightwave 9.2 Open Beta' from the 'resgister your products' drop down on the front screen once you log in to register.newtek.com?

Your 'My Products' should look something like this...

BeeVee
11-07-2006, 09:11 AM
If I wasn't registered, I wouldn't be able to download Lightwave 9, all the content and help files. Which I have done. So that makes no sense.

Hmm, yes you would. If you had access to a free update to 9 because you'd bought LightWave 8 with a free update, then you entered your LightWave 8 serial you would indeed have all the files in your downloads, but if you don't have anything in "My Products" then you haven't registered your 9 and thus you don't have the open beta.

B

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Taken care of. Got the 9.2 download. Now waiting for an e-mail.

BeeVee
11-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Yay! You don't need to wait for the email to get your new serial number you can just register your "9.2 Open Beta" version and make sure you get your Lock ID right...

B

eidetiken
11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
well I created a license.key file with just the key inside of it and saved it in the program folder, like in v9, but I can't get out of discovery mode.

gstonebank
11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Here's a question for all you long time mac users. The email said to use TextEdit to create the license.key file. My TextEdit can't make plain text files, only RTF, HTML, Word & Word XML. It also won't save with the .key extension. I downloaded TextWrangler which worked 100%, but if TextEdit can't do it why does the email tell us to use it. Or does everyone else know something I don't :) Or did Apple remove the plain text option in the newer versions, I've only used 10.4.7 & 10.4.8. on my Macbook Pro

Chilton
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi,

The trick is to use command+shift+T to convert from rich text to plain text. Then it will let you save it with any extension.

I hate that feature, btw. But then, I prefer my text plain.

-Chilton

RonGC
11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I use Textwrangler, much prefer it to TextEdit. Do a search on VersionTracker or Macupdate. No hidden features LOL

Ron

John the Geek
11-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi,

The trick is to use command+shift+T to convert from rich text to plain text. Then it will let you save it with any extension.

I hate that feature, btw. But then, I prefer my text plain.

-Chilton

It's under Format > Make Plain Text menu item too.

KPS
11-07-2006, 01:37 PM
SmashNCat
make sure you save the file as a plain Text file (Format-make Plain Text)
Then save with the .key extension. For some reason TextEdit defaults to RTF format and this was giving me problems. Did you change the LightWave and The Modler ComandLine File?
Hope this help?

gstonebank
11-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Ah didn't expect it to be in a menu, was only looking when it came to saving it. Thanks

Scazzino
11-07-2006, 02:54 PM
You can also edit the TextEdit preferences to use Plain Text, but I actually use BBEdit (http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/) myself, which is the freeware TextWrangler's (http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.shtml) big brother... ;)

HowardBerry
11-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I've signed up to the beta and downloaded the zip file; but I'm having problems working out what the instructions mean when it says:

4) Find the Lightwave cmdline, hold control and click
5) In the cmdline type -c

I've found the file called LightWave cmdLine, but what it means by "in the cmdline type -c" has got me really confused. Control click just brings up the file menu options (Open, Open With, Print, Get Info etc. etc.)

BeeVee
11-08-2006, 08:14 AM
You need to open the CMDLine file with a text editor, TextEdit is what I use. Then type:

-c to start the redirection of configs

immediately after, the path to the config file directory. So "Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave:LightWave 3D 9:Config" for me. This should give you one line like so:

-c"Macintosh HD:Applications:LightWave:LightWave 3D 9:Config"

HTH,

B
PS. Make sure you have a folder called "Config" in your LightWave directory for them to go into... ;)

RonGC
11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
HowardBerry make sure to include the Quotation marks as shown by BeeVee for the text entered and to save the text file as plain text, else the license.key wont work.

Ron

HowardBerry
11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Thank you both for your help!

mike_stening
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
i'm assuming it is supposed to say temporary liscense key warning thingy

gerry_g
11-08-2006, 11:47 AM
You all seem to be taking a sledgehammer to a walnut, I simply made a dupe copy of my Nine License dropped it into the Beta, opened it, changed the key over and saved it.