PDA

View Full Version : PC & Mac Screamernet

Zarathustra
06-12-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking down the road a ways...

Anyone care to tell me what's involved in getting 2 platforms (Mac & PC) to render together? Beyond each platform needing their own set of plugs, what's up with the cmdlines and all that good stuff? Any tuts out there for this?

vitovonantwon
06-12-2003, 10:22 PM
That all your pc and macs see each other and can drop files onto each other, and thats like 85% of it.

The other half is to make sure the you can point to the config files across the board.

I've gotten it to work for both. Not fun, but works.

ALso OS10 seems to be able to see microsoft networks a whole lot easier than os9, in which you have to buy something like dave or the like to see pcs.

VitoVonAntwon

Red_Oddity
06-13-2003, 02:38 AM
I believe OSX Screamernet Controller, does this nicely...can't test it though, since the demo version is pretty useless as a demo...it can't do more than 1 node...
But all in all a good SN controller...

Haven't gotten a cross network rendering going yet though (OS-X Macs don't seem to be able to communicate between the nodes and the server...server says a node is loading, the node it mentioned says it's still waiting...waiting for what? Christmas?)

Zarathustra
06-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Thank you. Yeah, I'm sure getting the boxes to see one another would be a big deal of it.

I was curious about things like

whats the pc cmdline look like
if the pc has it's own set of plugs, then should it also have it's own config files?

Red: are you giving a specific path for 'job' and 'ack'? That sounds like what's going on there. In the old days (and in that Worms of Art Tut) you would type:
-2 -c"HD:Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:" -d"HD:Project:"job1 ack1

But that won't work (at least not for me). What you REALLY have to type is this:
-2 -c"HD:Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:" -d"HD:Project:" "HD:Project:job1" "HD:Project:ack1"

That was the last hurdle I had to overcome before I got it working on OSX. I NEVER had to do that before OSX.

I suppose since it's SUPPOSED to be possible to do this, I don't want to buy a 3rd party app like SN Controller.

btw - I can't speak for everyone, but Worley says you can use their plugs without a license in a network render, so if you paid for a Mac plug you can dl the pc one and use it with SN. Without a license, you can't use it in Layout.

Red_Oddity
06-13-2003, 08:25 AM
That crap with the job and ack paths is the same on the PC, took me a while to figure out...allas, the Mac version still don't want to do anything...

As for paths, there's another problem...

Render output example:

PC:

Z:\Renders\Test01\test1_

Mac: (asuming you named a networkdrive Z here aswell)

Z:Renders:Test01:test1_

See the difference?
Either one of those paths causes confusion on a Lightwave on another platform (Mac scene on PC and vice versa)

Don't know how to solve this, but i believe Mac OSX Screamer Controller somehow manages this correctly...(i think, i wouldn't know how to solve this otherwise, but as i said before, i can't test it because the demo version won't let you.)

Red_Oddity
06-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Oh, and for configs and plugins and programs...those can be local, the only thing that really needs to be on a shared drive are offcourse:

Content (objects, images, scenes)
Output (render directories)
Job and Ack files (duh)