PDA

View Full Version : Disk Warrior and Intel Macs?

BazC
11-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Does anyone know how (or if?) Disk Warrior works with Intel Macs? I've just visited the site and can't find any mention of Universal Binary or Intel

John the Geek
11-05-2006, 06:25 AM
I know for a fact that TechTool Pro does. But you need version 4.5 or higher.

As an alternative to buying something. If you boot into Single-User mode (Apple + S at startup) and run fsck -fy (File System Check) at the prompt it will repair any directory inconsistencies you may have. Then once it's done checking and repairing, restart by typing shutdown -r now and it will reboot.

That's effectively the same as running Disk Warrior for most people. It will tell you if you need bigger guns like TechTool Pro to repair it. Now that OS X has a journaled file system directories and b-trees don't get hosed as often as they did in the old OS 9 days, although it still happens from time to time.

=)

BazC
11-05-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the info John! BTW I found out that DiskWarrior is not available as UB yet but should be soon.

byte_fx
11-05-2006, 09:23 AM
OT

John the Greek - thanks for the file system check info.

I'm new to Macs.

Can you suggest some books that cover the inner workings of OS X?

Thanks

byte_fx

LSlugger
11-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I haven't yet looked at the book, but I've been impressed by some of the articles at the site of Amit Singh (http://www.kernelthread.com/), the author of Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach (http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0321278542,00.html).

At a lighter level, I learned a surprising amount from Mac OS X: The Missing Manual (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxtigermm/). It caters well to switchers from both Windows and OS 9.

byte_fx
11-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks LSlugger.

Bought the Missing Manual books before I even ordered the Mac Pro as I wanted to be able to do some basic stuff right away.

And thanks for mentioning Amit Singh's book - hadn't heard about it. Looks very interesting.

byte_fx

brunopeixoto
11-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I recently try Drive Genius with a MacBook and it work fine.
I had serious problems with Techtool (I've lost 2 hard drives formating with it).

LSlugger
11-09-2006, 03:12 PM
I used Data Rescue (from the same company that distributes Drive Genius) to salvage data from an iMac G5 with a dying hard drive. It was a life saver, because my SilverKeeper backups were old (the backups kept aborting, because the disk was going bad), and the help desk had no luck with Disk Warrior.

SilverKeeper (Super Duper, CCC, Retrospect, etc.), Disk Warrior, and Data Rescue are complementary products. They fill a similar niche, but approach it from different angles. You don't really need Disk Warrior or Data Rescue on a day-to-day basis, but unless you live near a store that keeps them in stock, it's worth the peace of mind to have at least one of them on hand.

BazC
11-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I have a Lacie Firewire HD that my computer won't recognise and I'm hoping to repair it or at least recover the data on it!

brunopeixoto
11-10-2006, 01:42 PM
It's better to try DataRescue before any directory recover tool. Some times I try then on wrong order and lost several files. The process will be slower, but safer.

BazC
11-11-2006, 02:13 AM
It's better to try DataRescue before any directory recover tool. Some times I try then on wrong order and lost several files. The process will be slower, but safer.

Thanks for the advice, I see they have a demo so I'll give it a try.