PDA

View Full Version : What is max # of points in an Ngon?

Jockomo
11-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know the maximum number of points you can have in an Ngon in Version 8.5?

I keep getting an error that says unknown exception when trying to make an ngon with around 200 points.

oh and for what it's worth I can make a curve, or a closed curve, just not a regular old ngon - I have also merged points to make sure there are not 2 in one space.

Jockomo
11-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Ok this is pissing me off. This buggy pos will not let me create this **** ngon. I've tried recreating the points, copying them into a new object. It just keeps asying Unknown Exception.

WTF?!

Extent
11-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Have you tried making it into multiple polys and then merging them together? Might help narrow down which part it's unhappy with.

Jockomo
11-04-2006, 10:38 PM
It seems to work ok at first, like when I try to make an ngon with just a few points. Then after I spend the time placing my 200 or so points, and hit p, it sits there for a while and then either crashes modleler or give me some stupid error that tells me nothing about the problem.

I'm starting to thing I have a corrupted object file or something. I'll try working with an older version of the file and see what happens.

Silkrooster
11-05-2006, 12:43 AM
I found the specs for n-gons. In 8.3 the point count was increased from 1023 to 16,383.
Is this polygon the only thing in your scene? I was wondering if you were running low on ram.
Silk

Jockomo
11-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks silk, i knew that statistic was somewhere and changed recently.
And I thought it was something over a thousand.
I've got 2G of ram in this system so I don't think that was it.

When I went back to an older version of the object it worked.

It was really weird. It would let me make a curve or closed curve but not an ngon or even regular polygon once I tried to make the big ngon and got an error. Even after rebooting.

All I can think of is that the object was corrupted somehow.

I have about 33k polygons in this object and some of it was imported eps files that were converted from dwg in illustrator. Maybe that is related to the problem somehow.

JamesCurtis
11-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Can you post the object and a scene if its needed?

Jockomo
11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Can you post the object and a scene if its needed?

Sorry but I can't; I'm under a NDA with this job.
Turns out the file was corrupted. After I went back to a previous version it worked fine.

Silkrooster
11-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Glad you figured it out.
Silk