PDA

View Full Version : "White Men Can't Dance" feature Film

hairy_llama
11-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey guys.
We have recently produced our first feature film...
Just a little bit of LW used for a couple of VFX shots.
I ran second camera, lighting and VFX.
Check out it! In Theaters Dec 8th!

Quicktime h264 66meg .mov:

http://www.dv3productions.com/clients/wmcd/WMCD.mov

borkus
11-04-2006, 07:57 PM
pretty cool. not my type of movie, but you did an awesome job of it by the looks of the trailer. production seems to be pretty good. better than some of the big house productions coming out lately. good acting, good character chemistry as far as i can tell. keep up the good work. something to be proud of.

hairy_llama
11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate it and am glad you liked :)

Movie_Producer
11-14-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm sorry. It looks terrible. The DP work looks decent. But whoever cut that trailer should be fired instantly. That's one of the worst I have ever seen. If this thing came across my desk, someone would be out of a job.
Is this supposed to be funny? Is it a break dance movie? Is it drama? I can't tell. It's out December 8th, and this terrible trailer is what's promoting it?

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

digital verve
11-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Hello Movie_Producer. Don't have the courage to post under your usual username do we. :tsktsk:

The film has an intersting concept but the trailer is too long. I would have kept the trailer around the 1:45min mark and made more of the white man fish out of water, and concentrated less on the melodrama exposition. The juxtoposition between those two themes didn't quite work in the trailer.

The cinematography looks good. What HD camera did you use. The HVX200? I hope your first film is a great success with more to follow.

:)

hairy_llama
11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way movie_producer. Since you are a movie producer, please share some links to your films, as that will allow me to see where you are coming from. Thanks!

Digital Verve, it was shot on two Vericam systems.

Thomas M.
11-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Although my name isn't movie producer, I agree with him. The trailer is too long, one doesn't get the connection between family plot and dancing guys and worst of all, the trailer doesn't influence me in a way that I want to see or know more about this production. I am more the independent kind of movie fellow, so it's not that it lacks fancy actors or anything like that. It just leaves me indifferent.

But nonetheless I hope that it's successful.

Cheers and good luck
Thomas

ericsmith
11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't wanted to respond to this, because in general, I try to steer away from any critique that would pretty much be all negative. But since the door has already been opened, I'll agree that this movie seems like a mess. The juxtiposition of the family illness drama and the hip hop dance competition is kind of like a duet with Celine Dion and Eminem. It's not about the "fish out of water" element. That could work pretty well if this was a comedy. But the various emotional tones of the different elements just don't belong in the same movie.

And the trailer was not well edited either. Even if the underlying problems weren't there, there was no sense of anticipation or build up in the trailer. It just kind of jumped around, and left me more confused than interested.

To end this on a positive note, I think that you and your brother's work is absolutely top notch. Camera, lighting, pacing, story execution, everything. If I had 90 minutes to kill, I'd rather watch "The long road home" 36 times in a row than "White men can't dance" once.

Eric

hairy_llama
11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
"But the various emotional tones of the different elements just don't belong in the same movie."
They do if the director says so! ;)
Thanks for your input, it is interesting.
Only time will tell, it will be very interesting and enlightening to see how this film does in theaters. The trailer is in theaters, I recently saw it playing and I'm very happy with how the Vericam holds up.

Movie_Producer
11-21-2006, 02:19 PM
"But the various emotional tones of the different elements just don't belong in the same movie."
They do if the director says so! ;)

It's not the directors fault he got a bad script. The problem with this whole thing is someone wrote a terrible script, and some idiot green lighted this turd. The people caught in the middle are just doing their jobs. Well, besides the trailer editor.

hairy_llama
11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I produce extreme sports and stunt videos. Here's the trailer for one I did a while back called Judgement Day 3.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=F8F03DAA-559D-4966-953A-13E5307459C9

It leaves you saying........"holy ****!" and wanting to see more. I can't say that about WMCD. It falls flat.

Thanks for that. I am glad you sent the link to your content. After seeing your stunt trailer, I came to the conclusion that hating WMCD is just your taste.
Your trailer might leave you wanting to see more, but to me it just looks like more of the same reality/extreme stunt videos, with no production value, story, or thought to the product. Some people like reality videos. It's just not my cup of tea.

WMCD is a film, not a reality show. Obviously, distributors and theaters like it. You might like it or, in your case, you might hate it.

I doubt you'd like "facing the giants" either.

But thanks for the input anyway.

:)

Thomas M.
11-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Point is, we aren't talking about the movie, but the trailer. And the trailer is pretty crappy. The movie might turn out to be an interesting experience, but that's of our imagination. Though I wish you the best.

Cheers
Thomas

Movie_Producer
11-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Just just heard rumor that the movie has not got very good reviews and that it will only be released in a handful of states along the bible belt. But any plans for a national release have been trashed.

Jim_C
11-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Let me see Mr. 'Producer', you have 3 noobie posts here. 2 cutting rude negative and one where you are obviously gloating.

Not a very auspicious start to your time here.

There are ways to offer criticism without sounding like a pompass jerk.

And actually your trailer did not leave me wanting more. I saw just enough to realize I don't ever want to see anymore.

If you would like someone to pick apart your 'masterpieces' also, I am sure there are many here who would happily oblige. Otherwise you should probably change your attitude if you plan on posting and contributing here.

Thomas M.
11-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Jim,

also the producer has just started participating in this forum, his critic isn't rude, but stays with the subject of the post. As this isn't the "little elves" forum where the sun shines 24 hours a day, I rather like this kind of honest approach, rather than the usual hollow "Great work, man!" phrase. He doesn't attack the poster, but rather picks the points which give him a bad feeling towards the product.

Although his own trailer isn't anything of high spirits or artful to me, rather addressing the primitiv sides of a male brain, his own work isn't subject of this thread. I guess it's rather a nice option to show ones own background, than hide it. But there's no need to do so, as somebody else wanted some feedback on his own work.

Tough and fair is one thing, negativ and rude something else. I see his posts belong more to the first group than the second, but then this is only my way of seeing the situation.

Cheers anybody
THomas

Jim_C
11-24-2006, 09:25 AM
"It looks terrible." "should be fired instantly." "worst I have ever seen"
"terrible trailer " "Good luck. You're gonna need it." "some idiot green lighted this turd."

Are rude and harsh words to me. Not even close to 'tough and fair'
Maybe that is where we differ.
I thought you were the only one who still cared about political correctness on these forums?
The way the 'movie producer' went about critisizing the work at hand was hardly politically correct.

These, to me, are especially unwarranted and rude words from someone who has shown or proven nothing to the communtiy.

They say mighty bad luck falls upon those whose first post on a forum is negative.

Jim_C
11-24-2006, 09:34 AM
(silly edit time out).....

I forgot to include in my post.....

Hello Thomas,

Jim

(keepin' it civil ;) )

Thomas M.
11-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Even you didn't read it correctly. Eieieieiei!

I give a f**k about political correctness. Political correctness is something trying to keep you from getting your own opinion and using your own brain. Therefore I do like if people express there opinion, even rather "unfiltered".

Well, I do agree with you on the "some idiot green lighted this turd." That's a bit harsh, but terrible is definitely a word I do like, especially as almost nobody has the guts to use this word in forums anymore (I would highly recommend using this adjective for almost 25% of all stuff posted here).

Also it doesn't help just to pick his worst phrases, as the context matters. There's a "because" in his argumentation.

It's a bit like oddity in this forum. What he says is not always easy to swallow, but his opinion usually does matter. And a lot of guys do seem to have a problem that he's not singing with the same soft and kind voice like everybody else. But there's always a good point in what he has to say, even if it's no easy to grasp or accept.

Thanks, Jim.

Cheers
Thomas

ericsmith
11-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I think we should strive to give an honest and hard critique without using adjectives like "terrible" or "sucks", etc. It requires more thought, but it is possible.

When you think about it, saying something is terrible doesn't do anything to help the creator to improve. It basically says "you're not good enough, you should just give up." Instead, we should try to point out what issues are failing, and if possible, how to fix the problem. It's almost impossible to turn this kind of a critique into an inappropriate personal attack.

I'll be the first to agree that it's frustrating to see some really bad, amaturish piece of work, and then a dozen comments simply saying "great job, keep it up", but for me to vent on the creator for the failings of other posters isn't fair to the them.

Eric

Thomas M.
11-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Well I do agree on this with you Eric. A critic without a "because" by itself is rubbish and doesn't help the starter of the thread, though it sometimes helps the poster to get rid of frustration.

Cheers
Thomas