PDA

View Full Version : Render panel is crap!!

DonAVP
11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
I found another problem with the render panel. I posted a question and found the render panel had a problem with the camera panel.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57940

This version has two ways to access camera and motion blurr properties. It looks like there is problem in the motion panel as well.

Here is the problem. If you select motion blurr in the render panel it does not effect motion blurr the camera panel. The camera panel is the one that needs to be accessed if you want motion blurr on. The render panel is useless IMO. I got burnt with the camera properties on the render panels because it does not update or link to the camera properties panel. You can check "Use globals" in the camera panels and then the render panel works, but with this other problem I believe NT has a problem that should be fixed in the next rev.

Is this the way to report a problem?

Don

BigHache
11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
The Render Globals is a way to give quick access to apply the same settings to multiple cameras in your scene. If you change settings in the Render Globals panel and don't check "Use Global" in the Camera panel, then no it won't work because in essence you made the settings but haven't told it to render with those settings.

If you want different settings for multiple cameras, or if you have one camera, change the settings in the Camera Properties panel.

meatycheesyboy
11-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I personally wish it would work the other way around. I wish that the render globals were the default and there was an override button in each camera to not use the globals instead of the other way around.

Kurtis
11-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Is this the way to report a problem?

[email protected] or [email protected]

iconoclasty
11-03-2006, 10:10 PM
But it's not a problem, it works the way it's supposed to... So no.

DonAVP
11-04-2006, 10:49 AM
[email protected] or [email protected]
Thanks Kurtis:D . I will emial the problem/bug.

DonAVP
11-04-2006, 11:13 AM
But it's not a problem, it works the way it's supposed to... So no.
Did you check that motion blur does not work if it is active in the render panel and not in the camera panel :bangwall:. That is what I am talking about. The two should be linked or remove the fuction on one of the two panels.

The "Use Globals" does work for the camera's image size and focal length. Problem is that, it is not check by default. This led to much confusion and wasted rendering time because the renders were the wrong size. I finally discover that I needed to use the camera panel or check the "Use Globals" button and use the render panel to insure that I got what I wanted. This is a total PAIN IN THE *** as far a implimentation IMO:thumbsdow .

Don

Lito
11-04-2006, 11:22 AM
I have to agree with meatycheesyboy, I think the render globals needs to be the default for all cameras in the scene unless the camera overrides the render global panel. I find myself always using the render globals panel then when I press F9 I realize I need to override the camera settings with the global settings.

toby
11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with meatycheesyboy, I think the render globals needs to be the default for all cameras in the scene unless the camera overrides the render global panel.
I agree too, that would be a better way.

But I don't think this was a worthwhile feature in the first place. Sure, there are people who will find it convenient, but it inconveniences or confuses about as many. I doubt there are a large number of people who use multiple cameras, with the same settings, *and* change those settings regularly, and can't do that with the new scene editor. I just think there are better things the programmers could be doing with their time, LW already has the best workflow in the industry, there are other areas where they are really lacking.

iconoclasty
11-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Did you check that motion blur does not work if it is active in the render panel and not in the camera panel

I know, that's not a bug, that's just how it's designed. If you don't like the dual options and want to request it be changed that's fine. I just wanted to point out that you were requesting a feature change, not reporting a bug.

And I agree that it would probably be better if the Use Globals were on by default.

DonAVP
11-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I know, that's not a bug, that's just how it's designed. If you don't like the dual options and want to request it be changed that's fine. I just wanted to point out that you were requesting a feature change, not reporting a bug.

And I agree that it would probably be better if the Use Globals were on by default.

Agree it really is not a bug. Because there is no other choose that I can think of. 'Feature request' is what it is. I wish there was another class call "fix the confusion request" or something like that. I did email NT to the two address provided earlier. Hopefully it will be fix in LW9.2a.

Nuff said
Don

kfiram
11-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Thing is - there's such an easy way for Newtek to fix this:
Just turn on "Use Global" by default and allow us to turn it off when needed (instead of the other way around).
This is much more logical, as it will allow all parameters to be accessed on the Render Globals panel (instead of having to go through 2 or 3 panels) and still allow us to have various settings for various cameras if need be.
So easy it's trivial.

Here's to 9.2a!

Cageman
11-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Thing is - there's such an easy way for Newtek to fix this:
Just turn on "Use Global" by default and allow us to turn it off when needed (instead of the other way around).
This is much more logical, as it will allow all parameters to be accessed on the Render Globals panel (instead of having to go through 2 or 3 panels) and still allow us to have various settings for various cameras if need be.
So easy it's trivial.

Here's to 9.2a!

LOL... yeah... I have to say that I never fully understood the choice to have them both. Why not get rid of the Camera Properties window and put all Camera options in the Render Globals panel? So, if I have my Camera selected and open the properties, I actually open the Render Globals panel instead. I get everything related to Rendering in one single panel and that would just be... awesome!!!

toby
11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
LOL... yeah... I have to say that I never fully understood the choice to have them both. Why not get rid of the Camera Properties window and put all Camera options in the Render Globals panel? So, if I have my Camera selected and open the properties, I actually open the Render Globals panel instead. I get everything related to Rendering in one single panel and that would just be... awesome!!!
Uh - cuz then you couldn't have multiple cameras with diferent settings...

Karmacop
11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Here's some global camera lscripts that I've created. They let you turn global on (or off) for selected cameras, all cameras, and there's even a script that will change any newly created cameras into global cameras automatically.

Cageman
11-05-2006, 01:26 AM
Uh - cuz then you couldn't have multiple cameras with diferent settings...

Ehh? I said that they should move all the camera properties inside Render global properties. Why do you think this would not allow for having, i.e 4 cameras with different settings? Just ad a tab called Cameras in the Render globals panel...

Consolidation of tools.... that's what I'm after... Not removing features..

bryphi7
11-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Ehh? I said that they should move all the camera properties inside Render global properties. Why do you think this would not allow for having, i.e 4 cameras with different settings? Just ad a tab called Cameras in the Render globals panel...

Consolidation of tools.... that's what I'm after... Not removing features..

I like that idea...Have a drop down like the object properties to pick your camera.
would also be nice if we could have more then 1 bake camera render at a time.

toby
11-05-2006, 01:01 PM

Oh, well you didn't say that. But I think it would be easier to get NT to just make the global on by default than to add a new kind of tab, and it achieves nearly the same thing

toby
11-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I like that idea...Have a drop down like the object properties to pick your camera.
would also be nice if we could have more then 1 bake camera render at a time.
I've heard that you can have more than 1 at a time, is that not true?