PDA

View Full Version : ati x800

borkus
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
hey everyone. was wondering if anyone out there was using an ati x800 xl? was thinking that all the problems i've been having were coming from within lightwave. but i'm starting to think that it might be my video card as many other programs are being effected lately. downloaded all of the latest drivers, but lw 9 continues to get worse and worse. anybody else having simliar troubles with this card? hope it's not the card itself. ran everest (diagnostic program) and it says everything is a go.

lilrayray77
11-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Hmm, not x800, but I have an old x600 and it runs just fine (although, I cant handle quite as many polys).

prospector
11-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I did this earlier
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23457&highlight=X800
Which is actually the X800 Pro after later investigation.

Stooch
11-04-2006, 12:37 AM
i use an x800. no problems so far in the last year. with any programs. just had to update my drivers a couple of times... but thats its.

borkus
11-05-2006, 06:10 PM
i'm definetly at a loss here. just ran about half a dozen scans thru macafee, (disturbing that it found new things on each run), tune up utilities 2006, spybot, ad-aware, and just about everything else i could throw at my computer. computer overall is running sweet. for normal activities. but i fire up lw and problems galore. modeller shut down on a model with only 600+ faces!!!!! wtf!!!!! like i said, i can't play any games right now, so i started thinking this was a gpu issue. but i downloaded the cursed blender 2.42 and imported the most complex scene i could find and it worked perfectly!!!!! well, as far as perfect can be in blender. too many memories of why i started looking for commercial 3d apps to begin with. the point is that i rendered 650,000 polys in 12 minutes with every nodal i could think of turned on (that said, their nodal system licks balls). so what i'm saying is that one 3d app can work smoothly while lw9 consistently crashes

borkus
11-05-2006, 06:20 PM
have heard one person say that they uninstalled the sentinal drivers. is this recommended? can't imagine that it is. newtek's anti-piracy system. would think disabling that would put you in discovery mode.

borkus
11-05-2006, 06:22 PM
to be fair, i haven't disabled the hub permanently. tried it once, and it ran alright, but was such a workaround. can't imagine people using this in this form.

Exception
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
If you give me your kitten, I will tell you the answer...

No but seriously... could you describe the problems you have a bit more in detail?

Perhaps a clean install of windows will help, it did for me recently. I know its a pain, but i also know you want to :)

borkus
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
is there anything in paritcular that would help identify the problems? i know that this asking a lot from you people, so i appreciate any help. this is something that i should be discussing with newtek. but they are so slow with responding to emails and i don't have the option of talking to them on the phone because i work the same hours they are open. i have screen grabs of processes running, services, and more. i don't know all that much about the technical things of what's running under the hood of my ol' girl. but i know that winamp and lightwave lately have been rendered almost useless. updated every driver i could find and still nothing. after running tune up utitlities, the ol' girl runs friggin' sweet. except for lightwave and winamp. i'm at a loss. noticed i have 2 atievxx.exe's running at once in system file processes, and 3 cli.exe's running in user. should that be like that? like i said, i'm kinda lost in this department, and i really don't expect you guys to go nuts with this. i kinda feel bad for asking in the first place. it started as a post wondering if anyone else was having problems with x800. very disappointing (for me) to find out nobody else has. hence, the desperation....if you have the time and can be patient with my cave man understanding of the inner workings of my pc, millions of thanks. have given re-installing windows a thought, but i have about 21 gigs of files to back up. major pain in the ***. but i have considered it. how do i delete the config files for lightwave. have already disabled the hub, which made a little difference. but i don't understand how to delete the config files. well, i kinda do, but not sure. but then again, i could just re-install lightwave. guess that's not too bad. all the plug-ins i've found though!!!!!!!!! can you save those and paste them back after a re-install? i know, i'm asking a lot. and i'm sorry, just running out of avenues to explore. again, many thanks for the help already

prospector
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
On WinXP, configs located
C>Documents and Settings>name you log on with

just highlite and delete

I usually then open layout and close before I add anything
same with modeler

then I open again and scan for plugs, and close again.
Then if all is well and it starts again, I config menus, close and then open to work