PDA

View Full Version : sub patch problums

aticus21
11-03-2006, 11:42 AM
im building this pirate ship for my 3d class in high school and ive built it using sub patch the problem im have though is im trying to cut perfect square holes into the side of my ship for the canons but I cant figure a way to do it every time I Boolean or solid drill it does not make a perfect cut but makes and award roundish c hole into this ship is there anyway to get a perfect square cut into a sub patched object?? Please help me out thanks

evenflcw
11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
You need to add more detail around the wholes. How about showing or better yet uploading part of the mesh so we could provide you with some specific suggestions and approaches?

Sensei
11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
To get perfect square holes you will need to use Sub-Patch weight map or Catmull-Clark edge weight.. Anything else will be not perfect but approximation of square, and will need a lot of additional geometry..

Wonderpup
11-03-2006, 12:15 PM
If you are happy with the model as it stands you can freeze the mesh- which would allow you to use boolean tools.

aticus21
11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
ok the 1st one is the shot of the box im using to Boolean and when i use subtract on the object mind you when i use boolean the ships in the forground not like in the picture but when i use it this is what i get as an Result

aticus21
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
sweet thanks freeze worked thanks alot :)

liquidpope
11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Freeze works, but you can't un-freeze.

You really should learn to sub-d model stuff like that. It's easy once you figure it out, and there's lots of helpful folks here to help you figure it out.

At the very least, save a sub-d version separate from the frozen one, in case you need to go back and tweak something later.

hrgiger
11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Freeze works, but you can't un-freeze.

You really should learn to sub-d model stuff like that. It's easy once you figure it out, and there's lots of helpful folks here to help you figure it out.

At the very least, save a sub-d version separate from the frozen one, in case you need to go back and tweak something later.

Quoted for agreement.