PDA

View Full Version : Matchmover worth $180?

kopperdrake
11-03-2006, 04:01 AM
Ok - so I go to order my upgrade copy of Vue Infinite 5 to Vue xStream 6 as I've been bitten by the bug a bit, and on checkout it's asking me if I want to buy Matchmover Pro 4 HD for 86.51 - I guess that's about $180. I've never been asked to do camera-matching, but then it's something I've never offered. This seems like an excellent price though and I was wondering why they're offering it so cheap? Is it better than, say, Syntheyes, which is on I would consider due to budget?

Cheers :D

sculptactive
11-03-2006, 04:25 AM
I am not sure what the HD stands for (High Def?), but if it is the full Matchmover Pro 4 then it is a great deal. Realviz have varies flavours of there products, so many that it can get confusing, tread carefully.

kopperdrake
11-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for that :) It seems to be the full version, this is 10% of the normal retail price! I'm going for it :D

jamesthiago
11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Realviz was kind enough to email me back and explain what is not included with this version (HD) that is being sold for $150 with a vue purchase or upgrade.

Here is their response:
"Dear Sir,
The main limitation between the Vue version and full version is coming from
the export feature.
Vue version export in RZML only, the full version can export in Maxscript,
Maya, XSI, Shake, Lightwave etc...
The HD feature mean you can only load sequences under 1920 x 1080 pixels
resolution."

So I am not sure if someone can clarify but it looks as if using this version of Matchmover for LW is not going to work. Does anyone know if you can use a RZML file with Lightwave?

James

kopperdrake
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah - I found this out after I bought it :( In my opinion Vue kind of mis-sold it, but that 's another story. I can take the RZML files into Vue, and you can export entire scenes from Vue to Lightwave format so at first glance it looks like Vue will act as a translator. I'll let you know when I find out more :)

jamesthiago
11-06-2006, 05:14 PM
I was close to going for it, but am holding off and will likely turn to syntheyes instead, which has a full version for $400.
http://www.ssontech.com/

Having the greatest flexibility is pretty key.

kopperdrake
11-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Aye - part of me wishes I'd gone for Syntheyes too :(

sculptactive
11-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Aye - part of me wishes I'd gone for Syntheyes too :(

I am sure legally you can ask for a refund and return the software as you have only just bought it.

I think e-on on ther site are misleading and realviz on there site have so many flavours for there products it is very easy to get it wrong.

lwaddict
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that you bought the MMVue special.

Vue's awesome but that version of MatchMover leaves much to be desired, not to mention tends to lockup Vue in it's current incarnation.

Also sorry to say that they posted "only exports Vue files" repeatedly and everywhere they could from the beginning of the offer...so you won't be looking at a refund anytime soon based on that.

Syntheyes rocks. The price is right, it actually works, the upgrades keep coming, and the support out there is great.

Again...sorry to hear that you got into that sales pitch.

kopperdrake
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm not the only one to be sucked in by it judging by the people mad they they missed out on the 'deal' on Vue's forums. Hopefully I've saved a few from making the same mistake. On a brighter note, I tend to never do stuff above the maximum resolution and it seems I can export my camera data from Vue to Lightwave in a scene file, so not all bad. If I ever need more I'll just have to go the initial route I thought of of Syntheyes :)

inquisitive
12-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Now that you have had matchmaker for a while, even with the limitation... how does it work? does it crash a lot? I wonder if the maker would provide fixes to bugs/improvements? or is the route to bug fixes only in their fullpriced program.

I dont need the program, but i am leaning towards buying it, so while on the fence im pondering if I should get it at 150, or just wait until i need it and then purchase syntheyes for 400.

lwaddict
12-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Syntheyes rules.

And uh...I don't believe you'll be getting the cheap version of MatchMover any longer. That ship has sailed.

Of course, I could be wrong. But that's what I read right before they pulled all the info on it offline.

inquisitive
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
It is still available, they extended the upgrade (special price) to vue6 until Jan 2, 07. Looks like the ship was returned to the harbor. So do you like it? or after that experience you stopped using it?

lwaddict
12-18-2006, 12:11 PM
After watching a friend who bought it go down in flames on several occassions while my Syntheyes kept pumping along...I decided against it and figured that the additional 2 hundred bucks was worth all the extras that Synth could do for me.

BUT...Vue's still in beta...public paid beta, but beta nonetheless.
So I can't speculate on how it'll all come together in the end.

Sekhar
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
After watching a friend who bought it go down in flames on several occassions while my Syntheyes kept pumping along...I decided against it and figured that the additional 2 hundred bucks was worth all the extras that Synth could do for me.

BUT...Vue's still in beta...public paid beta, but beta nonetheless.
So I can't speculate on how it'll all come together in the end.
An important point to note here is that you don't need Vue to use MatchMover and they're really unrelated, so the comparison to make is between MatchMover and SynthEyes. The fact that MatchMover comes with Vue is just a packaging arrangement.

I recently got MatchMover with Vue xStream upgrade and did some rudimentary testing (tracked DV footage and used the camera data to composite LW animation onto the footage) - seemed to work OK. Looks like many folks are interested in the Vue deal and since it's expiring soon, I'll do my bit and do a more involved test this week and share my results.

KevinL
12-20-2006, 07:14 PM
May I ask how you access the camera data? I having been using VUE to convert between MM and LW with mixed results.

Thank you,
Kevin

inquisitive
12-21-2006, 05:46 PM
It appears that RealViz website has command line conversion programs to Lighwave. It seems you posted in the other thread you got them work.

Diid they not work correctly?

I am on the fence between purchasing Vue6 with MM or just by itself and just spend money for Syntheyes later.

Sekhar
12-21-2006, 11:59 PM
May I ask how you access the camera data? I having been using VUE to convert between MM and LW with mixed results.
RealViz has converters on their site to translate RZML to LW, etc. I posted details on another thread - see:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58030&page=3&highlight=realviz

KevinL
12-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I see only the update for MM 4 pro and this installs directly to program and does not work in the VUE specific version. Appears they are only for for use in the unlocked full version. Is there something I am missing?
Kevin

KevinL
12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Big smooch :o Nothing gay, not that there's anything wrong with that. (courtesy of Seinfield copyright yada,yada) But I love ya' man. It helps if you read CAREFULLY all the info. I am terrible about following up on threads that I consider to have reached end of life. Sorry!

Once I went back and read the remainder of thread originally addressing this I saw the simple ABC's

A-get the translator, and unzip the appropriate one for your app (better be LW :) )
B-Desktop shortcut to that .exe
C-drop the realviz file on the shortcut and get a s**t eating grin on face

It works a charm and since VUE made the track points into bloated objects as oppossed to nulls I was pleased to see that this method puts nulls into the scene file.

Thank you, thank you and thank you....
Kevin

inquisitive
12-22-2006, 10:39 PM
ok, i guess that is what i was waiting to hear. Too bad they dont work on weekends uh? would make no sense to tie up 400 bucks now when nothing can be done until Tuesday.

Do any of you know which office process the upgrade? US or France?

Matchmover is now $149 until Jan 02.
Thanks

PS. I would still appreciate some sample/test animation of what you guys have done.
I cannot afford vue6X and MM, so i will go the vue6i MM route instead.