PDA

View Full Version : one RIG to rule them all

ackees
06-12-2003, 01:38 PM
I am about to embark on the hazardous journey of character animation, and all the cleaver money says ‘don’t do it in LW’ use Messiah, but they’ve been a bit slow with the Mac vers (it'll be a case of Mac version soon or die - you go nowhere these days if you are not multi platform). So I notice a thing called Motionbuilder and it looks awesome, very Mac like in its operation and interface the FBX Quicktime plug says these guys are not joking around. Has Messiah missed the boat? Kaydara seems to be trying to expand their user base (I smell a price drop soon). I have been looking at the videos
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3613101299&category=182
and boy am I tempted. Has anyone experience of both apps and their links into LW?

Paul Goodrich
06-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I tried to output a LW scene file with the KBX Quicktime plug in and open in QT and basically couldn't get it to work at all. Last year KBX had a small booth at MacWorld here in NY and was showing KBX QT and told me it was working on OSX but when I went to their site it was nowhere to be found. But a beta version shoild be up soon. Almost one year later, it's there but I haven't been able to make it work on my Macs as of yet. Let me know if you have any luck.
Paul Goodrich
www.nyclightwave.com (NYC LW Users group, check it out)

Darth Mole
06-17-2003, 02:37 PM
I tried exporting some basic scenes (the old Toys.lws and Mechwalk.lws) to FBX and it worked fine for both - I could view the scenes in QuickTime player and the animation runs as normal.

Kinda cool, but for an amateur like me, a bit pointless...

I might try MotionBuilder - there's a free 12-month demo (worth $100) on the next issue of 3D World magazine.

ackees
06-18-2003, 02:10 AM
I’ve heard that if you buy the personal 1 year licence then in August you will be able to upgrade to the full personal edition for another $100 – WOW!
I feel sorry for the competition.
NT should take note because so many LW users are jumping to this package (one of their videos showed off drag and drop particle effects – drop the fire on the object, drop the smoke, while not a threat yet, you can see where they are going). It doesn’t appear to do anything that LW can’t but it seems to have made the process of character animation pleasurable. And why should a company with such an awesome product drop the price so? Userbase, user-base is the new battle ground. I think NT must make 8 as easy and friendly as MB or they will loose a lot of users, just bolting on new features is not enough anymore, and 3D has become very competitive lately.
Usability = User-base, the new mantra.