PDA

View Full Version : logmein.com and LW

bluesmike
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I've been using the service logmein.com for doing remote work with my far-away clients as I invite them to my desktop to discuss projects. It's worked great for everything, Autocad, etc. -- except LightWave. The folks on the other end can see the program, but the work viewports remain blank.

Has anyone else experience this? What's going on, and is there a solution? This is a huge problem for me.

Thanks.

MiniFireDragon
11-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I know what you mean. There is to much data being displayed at the screen through Lightwave for it to come up on logmein. It will eventually. But U can't touch ANYTHING.

Logme in has problems transmitting changing pictures, which is what lightwave does everytime u touch the view port. For a good example of logmein's problems, open up IE on the remote PC and goto MSN.com. There is a picture on the main page that scroll loads. It will lock u up for about 30 secods while it tries to refresh the screen.

bluesmike
11-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Wow, that just sucks.

MiniFireDragon
11-03-2006, 07:55 AM
It does suck. But you got to remember you are transmitting images over an internet connection, and if the image updates, it needs to be resent.

Another thing you might want to try is reduce your screen bit depth in the log me in panel and see if you can get a faster picture.

MiniFireDragon
11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Do you have the recent version of log me in installed on your PCs? I just went back this morning and was looking at different settings. It actually works alot better now. I also reduced the interface to 8bit and it runs nice. Has better color then 32bit if that is possible.

SplineGod
11-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Also try using VNC.

gjjackson
11-04-2006, 10:29 AM
I use the encrypted VNC at home with full resolution and works great on a broadband connection via VPN.

MiniFireDragon
11-04-2006, 10:43 AM
If I am not mistaken, bluesmike wants to use logmein to show clients the progress made on the project and to make sure it is what they want. With LogMeIn Pro (granted I am not familiar with other VNC programs) you can send someone a link to access your PC, which expires after a set amount of time. I don't know how easy and who technically feasible using other VNC software is compared to LogMeIn (which is a VNC application).

SplineGod
11-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I have logmein and VNC. VNC is a lot easier to setup. Im using a version called TightVNC. I set it up so all the other person has to do is type in a URL into their browser and theyre connected. :)

Extent
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
I've used several different VNC apps at work to manage all my servers, TightVNC is nice but I settled on UltraVNC for it's much greater performance (when using the video hook driver)

It's nice to be able to dial into a buddies PC and help them with their scene setup right on their own computer.

SplineGod
11-04-2006, 05:12 PM
TightVNC can be accessed via a browser which is kind of nice. It doesnt require that a client be run. :)

Extent
11-04-2006, 05:55 PM
All of the ones I've tried can do that (Real, Tight, Ultra). I also use ultra for the protocol encryption, domain authentication, and file transfer ability, none of which are particularly usefull in this case though. I'm not sure if ultra allows the web applet without a login though, I've never tried it.

Exception
11-04-2006, 06:30 PM
My favorite is also UltraVNC, but if you install the video hook driver, LW will not show its viewports... this has nothing to do with LW... DirectX will not work either, nor will DirectDraw and all those other functions.

Extent
11-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Interesting, I guess they had the hook driver disabled then. I know I've gotten overlays to display though since I occationally use it to get to my home machine from work to flip through videos.

Without the hook driver TightVNC was always a little snappier than ultra, though not quite as quick as Real.