PDA

View Full Version : Version Differences

eagleeyed
11-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Hi, I have recently purchased the Educational Version of Lightwave 9, I have now noticed though that there are not many books out there yet for version 9.

I am wondering if there is a big difference between version 8 and 9 because I am looking into getting this book: Essential Lightwave 3D 8 (Book w/ CD-ROM) (Paperback) Amazon Link (http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Lightwave-3D-Book-CD-ROM/dp/1556220820/sr=8-3/qid=1162452903/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-9898004-7883121?ie=UTF8&s=books). If anyone could give an answer as to whether this book is a good beginners guide for ver. 9, or if there is a website or better book out there any links would be great.

Phil
11-02-2006, 03:34 AM
The main issue with 9.0 is the different menu layout. You'll be able to make it 8.x like from the menu editor. You'll need to do it once in Layout and once in Modeler. You can then find the commands in the right places.

Screenshots will also differ - 8.x has no nodal system, no global render settings, no Relativity, no different camera types, etc.

3D Kiwi
11-02-2006, 03:37 AM
I would buy the book, you wont learn the new features in 9, but if you can finsh the book you will pick up the new features no worries. And some of the new features you probaly dont want to know about yet :D

eagleeyed
11-02-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the help, I will probably order the book and change the menus around like suggested.

I will look at the provided manual for info on the new features.

Thanks.

Dave Jerrard
11-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Most of the books released since 6.0 will work fine for LW9 since most of the tools are still there. With each new version, more powerful features have been added with very little being removed. Some bugfixes might change thwy some features work though. Of note is the Opacity Casts Shadows option n Volumetric Lights, which many people have run into. Before 9.0, this didn't work. Now it does, and since it IS working, it adds time to any scene that's using the feature, leading many people to think there's a bug that causing their scenes to render slowly, when in fact, it's a bug FIX that's causing this. Turning that feature off speeds things up and should result in an identical render as previous version (because the feature never worked before).

HyperVoxels have also had many bug fixes since 8.0, and several of their feature nor work correctly. Some procedural textures have been updated & changes as well, so these will render differently (Turbulence for example - the subpatch landscape scene from LW8 now renders with the camera under the ground, so you'll need to change the texture's position). But overall, most of the tutorials out there are still quite valid for LW 9.

As for LW9 material, well, there's a lot to cover and it's going to take time to do that right. Nodes can take a couple books to cover alone, and some of the other stuff, like CCTV or APS are such that once you get them, they're easy to understand, but about the most difficult to explain (try decribing a color without using any color references to get an idea of how difficult it can be).

Also, with LW9.2 announced for Open Beta, any new material is going to have to wait. It takes on average about 3-4 months full time to do a (good) book from concept to printing, so we need at least that much time between software updates to come out with a book that's not going to be out of date when it hits the shelves (been there, done that). This is one of the main reasons there hasn't been a LightWave Applied for LW8 (8.0 being extremely buggy was another). Dan or Timothy might have books in production already, but as for LW Applied, I don't see that coming out this year - maybe in the spring, time allowing. It's a lot of work, and there's so much to cover.

He Who Really Doesn't Know Where To Start.

borkus
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
essentials version 9 will be out this january,if you can wait that long. i already pre-ordered mine thru amazon

T-Light
11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Inside LW 9 is due out shortly (Dan Ablan). Any of his books make terrific reading. If you're needing something to get you through in the mean time see if you can find a special price on Inside Lightwave 8 or 7 :)