PDA

View Full Version : Dear Kurtis,

Thomas M.
11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I just wondered if the 9.2 OB will meet Steve Worley's demands concerning the SDK or other structures he considers necessary to provide an update for fPrime? Although some of the anouncements in the latest newsletter sound very interesting, a fPrime version "seeing" nodal and other LW9 improvements would be more than welcome.

Of course you can't comment on what's cooking in the Worley kitchen, but as far as the technical requirements are concerned which need to be implemented in LW for this plug-in I'd be glad to receive some news from you.

Cheers
Thomas

Kuzey
11-02-2006, 06:22 AM
I don't think Kurtis or anyone else for that matter can comment on this in public, you would have been better off sending a private message.

What we do know is they talk often if not daily.

We also know LW9.1 was an internal build and lets presume for a second that Steve got to play with that and responded to the new features/hooks.

Everything else...you'll have to imagine yourself or wait for the beta.

Take care,

Kuzey

Thomas M.
11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I'd say that this belongs in an open forum. Especially as a lot of LW users are concerned about this and a lot of users who purchased the Worley product would never have even dreamed that they once would probably need to keep on LWing without the product they purchased. Usually all Worley products worked with the next generation of LW. As there have been quite a lot misunderstandings and clumsy communication during the LW9 development concerning fPrime, I guess it's in the interest of everybody to know the chances of a quick fPrime "comeback".

Cheers
Thomas

bryphi7
11-02-2006, 10:41 AM
It is definitely an interest to me! Fprime and nodal would be a force to be reckoned with. They should have made sure this was done, especially when so many people rely on Fprime.

If this could get done, they would have something to brag about!

Intuition
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree Bryphi.

The thought of F-Prime being able to see the new nodal shaders was such a huge expectation for me. Maybe a bit unrealistic but if I were working at Newtek at anytime during the release of F-Prime in 2004 I would have made future development plans to either...

1. Make F-Prime a permanent part of Lightwave's future development to be capable of seeing any and all existing or new features added....

2. Make a Lightwave Native F-Prime style previewerto do the same..

I would have also made it so that F-Prime could be used in any of the modeler viewports as a great alternative to the bad OpenGL.

This kind of preview / rendering system is the future of 3d. The first company to make this kind of proxy viewing a standard will get great selling results.

Well, there is one... ;)

F-Prime gave LW a huge open horizon for the future. I would not pass it off as a neat option that you have the option to purchase....I would make it a requirement for future versions. With the advent of 64bit multi core machines the possibility for getting the viewer to do more is wide open.

Honestly, after F-Prime came out I began to think that LW would always have this idea associated with it. THe idea of a realtime previewer as a permanent feature that all other software packages would be clamoring to attain.

Modo has it, although Modo is currently no animation powerhouse as LW is, but the idea is perfectly implemented in that package.

LW can achieve this standard. Its not some idea that would be hard to implement. Its been within NT's grasp for 2 years.

The discussion of a native radiosty improvement was almost forgotton because of F-Prime for a while. It came back when F-Prime couldn't see nodes/shaders.

If F-prime had the nodal and shaders capability and the network render option then you would see an entirely different attitude about LW.

THen we could get on with complaining about the CA tools :D

Heres to hoping for a dream version of Lightwave that just pwnz! :thumbsup:

Verlon
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, it would certainly be nice if FPrime became even more functional with the new release...

Exception
11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Don't count on it. They would have said so. If I am wrong, their communication needs revising. But we've been saying that for um, years now. So I could be wrong. There you have it, paradox, resulting in disgruntled users.

monovich
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
yeah FPrime integration would keep me happy for 2007. FPrime has been what has kept me with Lightwave at this point. I'm addicted to the interactivity. At this point, though, FPrime is holding me back from exploiting features like nodes, instancing (HD instance), and APS.

I've been THIS close to jumping platforms so many times in the last few months, but then a job will come and I need to stay with LW to get it done. Plus, I have so much time and money invested in LW, I hold out for better times.

bleh.

Intuition
11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Its a tuff situation.

On one hand you have Kurt wanting to broadcast all the juicy info he can so to make all of us wavers happy but on the other hand he wants to keep his job. Must be frustrating at times.

I do empathise.

Intuition
11-02-2006, 11:58 AM
yeah FPrime integration would keep me happy for 2007. FPrime has been what has kept me with Lightwave at this point. I'm addicted to the interactivity. At this point, though, FPrime is holding me back from exploiting features like nodes, instancing (HD instance), and APS.

I've been THIS close to jumping platforms so many times in the last few months, but then a job will come and I need to stay with LW to get it done. Plus, I have so much time and money invested in LW, I hold out for better times.

bleh.

Well, I ride on other software at times when I can but LW is still my favorite.

I've been praising other 3d apps a bit but only in the hopes it will make LW better in return.

I think things will be better after 9.2 oben beta, maybe not the "Landed on the moon" result but at least the launch was a nice view of the direction.

Getting through the atmosphere with the 9x releases should be interesting.

I hope it holds together when we get to space ;)

Ok, cheesy space anology over....back to your regular posting.

cresshead
11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
one small step for 3d....one giant leap for newtek!

T-Light
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Have they released new SDK docs yet? The 9.0 docs were available for everyone at the beginning of the year (Jan/Feb can't remember), maybe there's a 9.2 SDK available for checking.