PDA

View Full Version : The Bee and The Dandelion

Imatk
11-01-2006, 06:34 PM
This is a little animation I did to experiment with Sasquatch.

I think it turned out pretty well. I have plans for a future animation with this as well... but this is what I have so far.

Let me know what you guys think

Bee and Dandelion (http://www.samjam.com/Animation/BEE_COMP_HI_02.mov)

Matt
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Not too shabby! Are the Dandelions CG or part of the montage?

Imatk
11-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Everything is CG except for the yellow flowers in the background.

otacon
11-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Good stuff. Very minor crit, the background flowers are moving around too much, if the wind was strong enough to move those heavy flowers it would blow all the seeds off the dandelions.

Matt
11-02-2006, 01:42 AM

Everything is CG except for the yellow flowers in the background.

Well in that case! It's awesome!

Aquilon
11-02-2006, 04:10 AM
Well in that case! It's awesome!

I can only agree with that, nice work

Matt
11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
If I had to crit, I'd say the _look_ of the bee isn't as realistic as the rest of the scene.

Safe Harbor
11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
The only negative thing I can really see is that the bee's legs just kinda drag along like dead weight. The bees I've watched farming my sunflowers this summer were very active with their legs, stretching the back legs out for landing and balancing, and using the front ones to probe into the flower. You might want to give them some life... But the movie itself is very nice!

Carm3D
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
The motion of the bee doesn't feel like it's flying. I've never studied bees but I did some wasp animations and I treated the area where the wings connect as a fulcrom and as the wings pull the wasp in one direction or another, the rest of his body would swing around from it's weight.

You can see the anims I did here (http://www.carm3d.net/Gallery_Character.htm).

The modeling and surfacing is great tho! :)

DaledeSilva
11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I personally have no problem with the way the bee flies... but I haven't watched many bees. at first glance, like otacon I thought the flowers int he background were moving too much too... however, I then noticed the erratic flying of the bee... it's clearly struggling against the wind and it's done very well.. this is why the flowers int eh background are moving so much.. the wind...

their movement matched the bee's struggle with the wind... what doesn't match though, is the movement of the dandelions... these should be moving 'more' in the wind I think.

Dale.