PDA

View Full Version : TreesDesigner

Thomas
11-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Pawel Olas has updated TreesDesigner!

Good news! And it seems to be a fine update. BUT he has told me he is not planning an OS X version. So, time to support him I guess :D

If you haven't tried it, it's simply awesome!
Check it out at http://www.polas.net

Regards
Thomas

soioartist
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
i was already asking him for a osx version...argh! this is sad...
regards
simon

BazC
11-02-2006, 02:34 AM
A great shame indeed! I hope he changes his mind, maybe Chilton could offer some help? I just had a look for that thread where Chilton was asking about plugins that needed porting to Mac but I couldn't find it. I'm sure he'd want to know about us losing one of the best plugins out there!

Chilton
11-02-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi BazC,

I plan on offering help in some way to those that need it, regarding porting plug-ins. I'm just not sure what type of help that might be.

-Chilton

BazC
11-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Hiya Chilton, thanks for chipping in! I've no idea what sort of help might be needed either since I know nothing about coding. If it's just a matter of recompiling the plug maybe you or another coder could help out? Maybe he's just not prepared to buy a new Mac to keep up with the Mac side of things? Dunno, I'll email him and see what he says..

Cheers - Baz

Thomas
11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
:boogiedow

Yes, I can see a light!

Regards
Thomas

Darth Mole
11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty miffed about this: I spent $150 on Tree and Leaf Designer bundle and to not support the OSX version (especially when it's a paid update) seems rather unfair to me.

Frankly I'm sick of being the ginger-haired stepchild of the LW community.

I hope if enough people ask for the update (at $35 a time) it will be worth his time. Conversely, if anyone out there could help with the conversion duties (Chilton, Lightwolf), that would be great.

If Tree Designer worked perfectly on LW9 I'd be less inclined to cause a fuss. But it doesn't - so it needs a minor update anyway.

Phil
11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Hi BazC,

I plan on offering help in some way to those that need it, regarding porting plug-ins. I'm just not sure what type of help that might be.

-Chilton

Free Macs? ;D

Chilton
11-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Brilliant! I have an SE/30 I'll lend out. For a fee ;-)

-Chilton

John the Geek
11-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Brilliant! I have an SE/30 I'll lend out. For a fee ;-)

Ha, I have an SE/30 too. I keep it around for those times when people see my Mac and say things like "that looks like Windows" and I boot up the SE and show them we had Windows 95 back in '84.

And it boots up in like 10 seconds... What a workhorse.

gatz
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Ha, I have an SE/30 too.

My first Mac. A bargain at $4011.38. Imagine the power that would by now...

Re Tree designer. I've purchased a few of Pawel's plugins. Not following through with a OSX update to TD just sours me to rest of his catalog.

rg

RonGC
11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Unfortunate, i have the previous versions of tree/leave designer , Fire and Smoke for Mac OSX and like them a lot, i will however not be buying any more of his plugs if they are just going to be abandoned in the future for OSX.

My commitment to plugin makers only goes as far as their commitment to me. I purchase with the belief that the plugin maker will show the simple honesty of ongoing support to my platform of choice.

Ron

gstonebank
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
I bought TD & LG last month so when I got the email announcing the new version, I emailed him to find out if I would have to pay for the update.

Good news: Free update for anyone who bought in the last 2 months

Bad news: No mac version.

So now I can get a free update to a product I can't use anymore - yippeeeee

Guess I'll just carry on using the old version.

Darth Mole
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I had a response from Pawel to my question of how many Mac users he had...

"I don't really know... but not that many. Maybe 20-30 ppl all together. I always get bunch of emails requesting osx version but later not the same amount of orders...

Anyway I'll try to get access to OSX and recompile the plugin. but I'm
not promising anything."

I hear this all the time: Mac users mail and ask for Mac versions and then don't pony up when the developer has ported the code.

If any Mac users out there want to see more OSX plug-ins for LW, you might try actually buying some of them from time to time...

John the Geek
11-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I think the difference stems from the desire to have options available, even if you don't need those options yourself.

I'd love to play with a plug-in like that, but a $150 plugin that makes trees for me is low on the list of things to get. The best way to get better at modeling is to make them yourself, I'd think. Still, for a shop with a deadline and the need for foliage, it's just what the doctor ordered.

Here's hoping that a lot of Mac users need some trees real quick.

=)

RonGC
11-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Darth Mole.

I have supported Pawel for many years now by buying Mac versions of his plugins. And would happily pay for the update this very second if there was one available for the Mac.

I think that the difference between Mac and PC users is that because we have a lot fewer plugins available we are just used to doing it ourselves rather than taking the easy plugin solution.

I also use Vertibevel2, LWCad2, etc, all paid and updated as they are released. Many other commercial plugs as well, so you can't lump all Mac users under such a broad statement.

If it makes my lw work substantially quicker or better, i will buy the plugin. Many plugs are just a luxury where money is better spent on Ram etc.

Ron

Thomas
11-02-2006, 05:35 PM
I hear this all the time: Mac users mail and ask for Mac versions and then don't pony up when the developer has ported the code.

If any Mac users out there want to see more OSX plug-ins for LW, you might try actually buying some of them from time to time...
Well, if I could afford it I would buy a couple, of each. But I don't. I've only paid for 1 license of TreesDesigner, LeavesGenerator, GrassGenerator and Fire&SmokeGenerator and ACS (which NEVER really worked ok on the mac).

Also, G2 and Fprime, T4D rigging tools, Wrinkle, EasySplit and a few of PICTRIX plugs a few years back.

And I'm very tempted to get Maestro anyday soon.

I don't need more than one of each, for now at least :D

But I know, some scream alot and then do nothing. Please don't make the assumption that ALL do.

Regards
Thomas

Darth Mole
11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Sorry, I wasn't moaning at those people who do support OSX development - rather those people who, for whatever reason, campaign for platform parity and effectively trick a developer into doing a load of work that then isn't paid for by sales. That just really annoys me - and really damages the cause of OSX development.

Anyway the good news is that Pawel seems to think he will now do the port.

Thomas
11-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Sorry, I wasn't moaning at those people who do support OSX development
Yeah, figured that one out after I slept a few hours. Sorry... :)

Anyway the good news is that Pawel seems to think he will now do the port.
Yes, it is good news!
However, as it is quite some work to do the port question is, should he do it now or wait for the UB-version?

My vote is for the UB-version :hey:

@Chilton:
Plug-ins needs to be re-compiled for the UB, don't they?

Regards
Thomas

Chilton
11-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi everyone,

Plug-ins will need to be recompiled for XCode. We considered an intermediate solution, but it would have taken too much time away from the UB version.

I now have a fairly comprehensive plan in place to help PC developers port their plug-ins to the Mac. The details of this plan will be revealed after the UB version is in Open Beta.

-Chilton

Thomas
11-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone,

Plug-ins will need to be recompiled for XCode. We considered an intermediate solution, but it would have taken too much time away from the UB version.

I now have a fairly comprehensive plan in place to help PC developers port their plug-ins to the Mac. The details of this plan will be revealed after the UB version is in Open Beta.
Now that's what I wanted to hear! :thumbsup:

Thanks Chilton!

Regards
Thomas

Darth Mole
11-03-2006, 07:00 AM
If you carry on like this we're going to have to canonise you...

St. Chilton of Macintosh.

RonGC
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the update Darth, really glad that Pawel is going to update the Mac version, it is one of my must have plugins. Yes you can model trees and leaves by hand, but this plugin really saves major time.

Chilton, do you ever sleep. You seem to be totaly on top of things around here:thumbsup:

Ron

RonGC
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Dang ran up against the 2 minute editing limit.

I wanted to add that another way we Mac users contribute to Plugin makers is by informing other people about how good various plugins are. I have helped sell dozens of copies of Pawels plugins, as well as other makers, to PC and Mac users in various LW forums on the web. As i am sure other Mac users have.

So it is not just the number that we personally own, but the word of mouth sales that we generate. To any seller that is a bonus income well worth supporting.:)

Ron

Darth Mole
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Only if that word of mouth turns into actual sales. Hype doesn't put food on the table.

RonGC
11-03-2006, 08:12 PM
True hype does not put food on the table, but word of mouth is free advertising that keeps running on and most people like to get recommendations otherwise they wouldn't ask.

Good feedback on a product has been invaluable in my purchasing choices. I want to know what other users of plugins think about them before spending hard cash.

Ron

Weepul
11-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I have TreesDesigner and would buy the update if available for OS X.

Does that price include the update to LeavesDesigner? It's only listed on the ordering page with the TreesDesigner full package.

Darth Mole
11-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Email Pawel and let him know - I guess the changes to Leaf Designer would make sense too.