PDA

View Full Version : Considering DFX+ offer, but wonder what's in LightWave [8]...

CB_3D
06-12-2003, 11:29 AM
L 8 supposedly is just around the corner, as it seems.

However, we have not seen a single screenshot or a feature list so far. I am not one of those hype mongers. I can wait for a finetuned and well finished product (not another L[6], please!!)

Thereīs just one problem. I am HOT for the DFX deal, but canīt justify to my boss to spend 495$ for an upgrade about which there seems to exist NONE official information.

In other words, if we see the feature list before the deal expires you have an assured client for this update, if not...not.

I think i am not the only one with that problem.

Exper
06-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Here I am! ;)

A said many many times before... NT has good ideas but they cannot take complete advantage of them.

Bye.

Earl
06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Umm...it's the second quarter. LW 8 is not shipping until the fourth quarter. Furthermore, NewTek has specifically told us WHEN and where they will be showing us previews. I don't see why you're complaining. Are you upset that if you upgrade now you get FREE SOFTWARE? I don't see how anyone could be upset with that...

Free software is free software - I don't think there is a problem. If you lack faith in LW and don't want to upgrade until you know for sure they add the "Make Cool Animation" button or not, then you miss out on a deal that any LW loyalist would jump on any day.

CB_3D
06-12-2003, 04:15 PM
donīt get me wrong, earl, but i donīt really understand in which way your post is connected to this thread?!

since you are mentioning "upset" and "lack of faith" and i donīt feel that my post revealed any of these...well.

my only concern is how to convince the department of software...and in effect the boss of the company i work at... to shell out money for a product that will hit the market only in a few months. to me it seems perfectly sensible to ask for specifics of the main product you will be purchasing?!

Privately i will sit and wait, and when 8 comes out, iīll buy it without regretting the lost deal because privately i donīt need DF.
but thatīs really not what my post was about.

>>>>>specifically told us WHEN and where they will be showing us previews.<<<<

really? sorry, missed that one. where can i get that info? thx in advance.

mufty
06-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
really? sorry, missed that one. where can i get that info? thx in advance.

There is a thread on the same page as this one with the title "LightWave 8 Previews at SIGGRAPH". I think SIGGRAPH is at the end of July.

I'm inclined to wait until 8 is actually released before upgrading, if I upgrade at all. I recently recieved an e-mail about the DFX+/LW 8 offer and it's a great deal...if only I had a use for DFX+.

cgolchert
06-12-2003, 04:49 PM
The announcement was made on various online forums like this one. I'm not really sure why there isn't ANYTHING in NewTek's press release section of their website.

Here is the one in Newtek's forum

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3725

CB_3D
06-12-2003, 06:18 PM
ok, that one i knew. not really a detailed description or official info (if any). well, iīll be looking forward to it, but really hoped for more before the deal expires.

Earl
06-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Sorry if I read into your post wrong CB. It just seems like there are a lot of people who are actually unhappy that NewTek has offered this deal. I don't for the life of me understand how anyone can complain about free stuff, though. Anyhow, sorry for misinterpreting your post. :cool:

As far as convincing your boss, good luck! If I were your boss, I'd let ya do it. :D I'm still trying to convince the people over at my work that buying LW is a good deal anytime of the year (until then, I continue to use my own personal license). Sometimes it's hard for those who aren't involved in graphic design, animation, 3d design, etc, to know a good deal when they see one. ;)

riki
06-12-2003, 10:21 PM
It's a good deal, you should jump in while it's available. You could even sell the DFX seat if you need to and then it wouldn't cost your boss a thing if that was the case.

cgolchert
06-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by riki
It's a good deal, you should jump in while it's available. You could even sell the DFX seat if you need to and then it wouldn't cost your boss a thing if that was the case.

That usually works better on a wife than a boss.

TyVole
06-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by riki

I seem to read this suggestion often; but if everyone sells their seat, who's going to be buying it? Is there really such a strong market for DFX+? Do people even look for compositing software on eBay?

pixelmonk
06-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by TyVole
I seem to read this suggestion often; but if everyone sells their seat, who's going to be buying it? Is there really such a strong market for DFX+? Do people even look for compositing software on eBay?

Yes they do. People also look for it on newsgroups and discussion boards.

fortress
06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
please correct me if i am wrong but i thought that if you buy a copy of LW 7.5 +DFX you got the 8 upgrade for free

SplineGod
06-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by CB_3D
L 8 supposedly is just around the corner, as it seems.

However, we have not seen a single screenshot or a feature list so far. I am not one of those hype mongers. I can wait for a finetuned and well finished product (not another L[6], please!!)

Thereīs just one problem. I am HOT for the DFX deal, but canīt justify to my boss to spend 495$ for an upgrade about which there seems to exist NONE official information.

In other words, if we see the feature list before the deal expires you have an assured client for this update, if not...not.

I think i am not the only one with that problem.
The way I would think about it is like this:
You are buying DFX at $495 which is a GREAT deal and youll be getting LW 8 for free. :)

CB_3D
06-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Larry, thatīs exactly how i convinced the guy responsible for software acquisitions to go for the deal ;-)

Now he seems to have another small problem. We are in Europe/Portugal and quite frankly we have no clue where to order this specific deal. NewTek Europe??

The reseller in Portugal is not an option for us...whoever already made buiseness with him will know what i mean.

So, where to order? Is the US Newtek site the only option to order?

Chris

KOlson
06-16-2003, 09:13 AM
When does this upgrade offer end?

Earl
06-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I think it lasts through June, and will end the first of July.

Bytehawk
06-16-2003, 05:36 PM
try to contact

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/

this is one of their mails to me

Many thanks for your enquiry. You can order from us with no problem. There will be Ģ30 international carriage charge instead of Ģ7.50 UK charge. We will need your credit card details including card number, card holders name, billing address, valid from and expiry dates, and the security number on the signature strip.

You can find full details of the offer on our website www.onevideo.net. Delivery is 3-4 weeks as the DFX+ has not yet been released.

We look forward to receiving your order.

Kind Regards

Joanne
onevideo.net