PDA

View Full Version : Silver Unicorn

khalid
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi everyone,
again some time for fun & exploration...

The "Silver Unicorn", I have always been very fascinated with this beautiful creature, I have created it the way I imagined. The creature is mystical & magical, not seen by man. here it looks as if it stopped for a second to examine you with intelligence, almost as if it wonders....again it looks mysterious and almost dark...

I created it between Modo ZBrush and Lightwave, on Mac & PC

I hope you like it, it would be nice to here your comments..

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general55.jpg

evenflcw
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow, everything is simply gorgeous, ... except for the horses neck and head. The neck is too long while the head is too small, it's proportions look odd and its features are too sharp. To be frank the head looks kinda scary to me. But the rest... bawawoweee! Looks like one of those fantasy paintings that always look so perfect.

khalid
11-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks evenflcw :)

Yes it doesn't look like a horse 100%, it wasn't meant to be, some say that the unicorn looks like a dear, some say like a lion+ dear, and other just make a horse with a horn ;)
it is only my wild imagination... artistically speaking ...;)

thanks for all you nice words, and I am happy you liked it...

oDDity
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
I like the mood of the render, but there's some pretty wild anatomy and proportions, and a strange choice of posture as well, having it slanting head first toward the gound like that. I can't imagine a 4 legged animal ever standing like that with 3 legs firmly planted and the back one lifted up (somewhat like a dog taking a leak)
I think you could present it better than that.

anim8r
11-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I really like the colors and textures of the scene and model. And the mood is fantastic.

I agree with evenflcw and oDDity on the anatomy and pose tho. The body seems to be too small for the Head and Neck, and he seems more likely to fall forward than hold that position for very long. I'd have him just cresting the hill with his fore legs at a higher elevation than his lower. That would put him in a more "regal" pose and denote more intelligence.

Still, Great design and mood! I really like your interpretation of the unicorn's horn.

khalid
11-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Hehe... Thanks guys ;)

Anatomy and positions are based on imagination or a version of an artist, there are hundreds of versions on the net...all look weird or exactly like a horse, so this is only my version. again this is not about looking realistic or not, it is just a simple thought when I had time to practice.... ;)

Saying all that, I feel like this image is only my contribution to the unicorn images created threw out time ;)

thanks again for your nice words and all your constructive comments..

bobakabob
11-02-2006, 04:51 AM
Khalid,

Oddity's point about the anatomy is true though I'm glad you've projected your own unique style onto this well crafted atmospheric render. The colours look really dramatic.

WilliamVaughan
11-02-2006, 05:41 AM
I love the proportions you have chosen for this....it let's me know it's not a horse...it's a unique creature that may resemble a horse but completely different beast.

It reminds me of some of the older illustrations of Unicorns.

starbase1
11-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Lovely use of colour, and all very dramatic.

I find the positioning of the horn so low down on the head rather odd though, and the base of the horn in particular looks much too substantial to attach to such a small head, particularly in the position shown.

DogBoy
11-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I agree with oDDity on the posing. I think it makes the unicorn look slightly off-balance.
Otherwise I like the model, it has an otherworldly aspect that sells the subject.

Werner
11-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Like I said on Spinquad. I really love this peace. Don't change the proportions, they look great. Just rotate the camera a bit (anti clock wise), and the balance
will work.

One of the better images I've seen in a while. :thumbsup:

khalid
11-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi guys;)

Here are some screens of Bones setup on LW, I only did this to be able to start posing it for the set...

The lower one is after displacement, original model was about 3,400 polys after displacement 2.4 million polys

I will post up more stuff ;)

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general58.jpg

CMT
11-02-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm not too crazy about the horn, but the modeling on this guy is awesome! That last pic really shows the detail of the underlying tendons and ligaments.

khalid
11-02-2006, 03:36 PM
thanks...:)
here are some Modo and some ZB before LW

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general57.jpg

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general56.jpg

bearfoot
11-03-2006, 04:24 AM
wow excellent work as always

the zbrush work is stunning for me.. i would love to see your nodal shaders for the displacement in LW.

congrats mate

starbase1
11-03-2006, 04:51 AM
OK, I have examined it a lot more closely in the light of the comments, and I must say, the more I look, the more I like. I particularly love the way you have a sort of metallic silver look for the coat which still manages to look believable and natural. I think that the leg pose makes sense as the front of the beast is a bit lower - it's not a position for a natural relaxed look, and for me it gives the suggestion that it has just stopped or is just starting to move.

I like the use of hair for the mane, tail and feet - too many fantasy artits seem to want all hair to look like a shampoo commercial!

The little touches like the reddening where light comes through the ear are masterful attention to detail.

I'd love to know how you did the sky if it was done digitally - though looking closely some grain like features make me think it might be a photo.

I still think the horn is a bit oddle placed, but it seems like that is just me!

Lovely stuff.
Nick

khalid
11-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Thanks Nick for all you close thoughts;)
I am happy it gave you a good feeling, I am happy that it grew on you the more you looked at it ;)

The sky is a photoshop+ photos... I had to tweak it to fit the shot....

I wanted to shape the ground to fit my subject..so I got a simple geometry then started sculpting on ZB...
more will be up

I will be posting more stuff ;) thanks all..
http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general59.jpg

DogBoy
11-03-2006, 05:53 AM
Well, I only meant that as a very minor quibble. The modeling is first-class, and I've already learnt something new wi' regards to rigging.

It almost makes me want to buy ZBrush :bowdown:

balogo
11-03-2006, 07:44 AM
The visual result is very dramatic... beautiful work

Safe Harbor
11-03-2006, 08:30 AM
Well, since it's an imaginary beast I won't go into detail about the minor errors in horse anatomy (and the ones mentioned here - neck too long and small head - are actually all CORRECT for a lot of the more exotic breeds of horses!). Hip, croup, knees and hocks are all a bit "wrong" but nothing that I haven't seen a thousand times in all kinds of horse paintings. You got the major parts right. (Oh - horses don't have cloven hooves, but like I said, it's imaginary so maybe you did that on purpose).

And the pose it's in is a resting pose - a horse will cock a hind leg when it's standing in a relaxed state of mind. Not sure if that is a realistic state of mind, given the animal's surroundings, but it is possible.

The only issue I'll mention is the horn - I would think, given the obvious size and weight of that thing, the lower it is on his face, the less leverage he will have to hold his head up. Nature tends to move towards the most efficient, and a horn that's difficult to carry is not an efficient use of muscles and skeletal structure.

However, it's very well imagined and I really like it! Something I'd hang on my wall if I were still a unicorn fanatic.

Andyjaggy
11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
The anatomy does seem a little off but it doesn't bother me much. I actually like the way he is posed, it gives the impression that he just stopped to look at something, and will start moving again. I also love the colors and the shiny almost metallic look of the skin.

DogBoy
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
(Oh - horses don't have cloven hooves, but like I said, it's imaginary so maybe you did that on purpose).

Well unicorns traditionally are a mix of goat and horse features, so are cloven hoofed, as well as bearded.

It's only really in the last century or so (if memory serves) they got depicted as a horse with a horn.

khalid
11-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Well unicorns traditionally are a mix of goat and horse features, so are cloven hoofed, as well as bearded.

It's only really in the last century or so (if memory serves) they got depicted as a horse with a horn.

Thanks again for clarifying the hoofs issue, I thought that it was commonly known, anyways I am just trying to feel free at expressing my needs to explore ast an artist, and I would always recomend this to artists... just be free ;)

here are some more LW9 screens and layerings.

Thanks again everyone for your nice words :)

http://muharraqi-studios.com/gallery/muharraqi_general61.jpg

Stooch
11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
i like everything about the horse. one thing i would change is make the horn smaller ... everything else is top notch. (its like the horse is overcompensating for small genitalia)

but seriously, compositionaly and proportionaly, its just too big, poor thing cant even turn around in a forest!

it would knock furniture over, scare children etc.

khalid
11-10-2006, 05:09 AM
hehe!!
No problem, heard that one before and answered it a few time too..........check out the earlier coments please
cheers....