PDA

View Full Version : Field Rendering - Even first or odd first

Thor Simpson
11-01-2006, 11:57 AM
It's been a while since I exported to video instead of the Web.

Which setting will display correctly?

Thanks.

Thor Simpson
11-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I should add that I did see the other thread on field rendering but it was more specific to certain software.

In this case, I have been asked to provide a 720x486 file to the client and I do not know what they will be editing in. Which option would be the most "standard" ?

bob anderson
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
When I'm exporting to the VT system, the odd field (i.e.;field one) comes first.

Bob Anderson

monovich
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I've never had an NTSC project that wasn't lower first, and every PAL project I've had has been upper first.

I believe different editing type systems prefer one over the other, so my experience isn't the rule.

You should ask your intended end user for their specs. If you are going to tape through an output card, check the card specs. If you are going out DV, check DV specs... etc.

T-Light
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
monovich -

and every PAL project I've had has been upper first
Unless it's PAL DV then it's lower field first. :D

I wrote to Ulead some years ago about which fields they were talking about with 'A & B' as I needed precise info on PAL DV editing and some software editing companies can use various terms interchangably. They wrote back with 'You should consult your DV camera manufacturer'??? Oh yeah cheers, that's just BUCKETS of help.

It can be a confusing subject, if in doubt, ask the client for clarity :)

Thor Simpson
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks!

Dragon Lee
11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
monovich -

Unless it's PAL DV then it's lower field first. :D

I wrote to Ulead some years ago about which fields they were talking about with 'A & B' as I needed precise info on PAL DV editing and some software editing companies can use various terms interchangably. They wrote back with 'You should consult your DV camera manufacturer'??? Oh yeah cheers, that's just BUCKETS of help.

It can be a confusing subject, if in doubt, ask the client for clarity :)

Never try to talk to Ulead people, I've ALWAYS found it to be a mess sorting through their software and the knowlege of their staff...

Although it is by no means the worst company in that respect ... for me the "Pinnacle" team is owner of the lead crown, the stunts they pull with their software is flabbergasting ( :p )

(Once I emailed them on how I could circumvent a critical bug I found on a friends' "studio plus 9", the reply was "we cannot give support on bugs with this software")

T-Light
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
DragonLee -

Never try to talk to Ulead people, I've ALWAYS found it to be a mess sorting through their software and the knowlege of their staff...
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not alone :)

Roll on Speededit.

Sekhar
11-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I've never had an NTSC project that wasn't lower first, and every PAL project I've had has been upper first.
I'd vote for these choices too - I think the best bet if you don't know for sure. Dragon, PAL DV can be upper field - e.g., my RT.X100 captures PAL with upper field (and NTSC with lower field).

Dragon Lee
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I'd vote for these choices too - I think the best bet if you don't know for sure. Dragon, PAL DV can be upper field - e.g., my RT.X100 captures PAL with upper field (and NTSC with lower field).

Hmm? you talking to me?

I'm not disputing the standards, I was just mentioning that some companies can't make heads nor tails of their own software.

T-Light
11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Sekhar -

my RT.X100 captures PAL with upper field (and NTSC with lower field).
Are you talking PAL or PAL DV (as in the DV codec)? If you're talking PAL DV then it goes to show you just can't trust anything, shame isn't it.

Sekhar
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Sorry Dragon, I meant to say T-Light (since he was talking of PAL DV and lower field). T-Light, yes the RT.X100 behavior is with DV...yet another confusing data point, I guess. I hope interlaced dies a quick death and everybody forgets it ever existed.

T-Light
11-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Sekhar -

T-Light, yes the RT.X100 behavior is with DV...yet another confusing data point, I guess. I hope interlaced dies a quick death and everybody forgets it ever existed.
A-men, (Sorry, Dragon my fault, missed you as the accused), unfortunatley we just KNOW someone will come up with something else :devil:

Don't want to be seen a seller of Newtek goodies but... **** I hope Speededit can sort out this rubbish :)

JamesCurtis
11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I just thought of something.

It would be nice if when you chose a camera type [in LW9] that it would automatically interperate/choose the correct field order for the render [if enabled]. That way you wouldn't need to guess or experiment as much. This might make a good feature request.

Phil
11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
[email protected] ;)

trentonia
11-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Lee Stranahan, remember him, used to recommend skipping field rendering and apply some motion blur instead. It seems to work out fine.

NickLambert
11-02-2006, 08:36 AM
I've been working with video for 20 years & still have different thoughts on this subject. A basic understanding of what is actualy happening does help:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/onneweer_barend/deinterlacing/index.html

http://www.paradiso-design.net/videostandards_en.html#pal

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=119

As stated in this thread, unless using PAL DV, it's upper first :thumbsup:

NickLambert
11-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Or was it Even? :twak: