PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric light - how to mask it?

ninjaman
11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi!

I have this halloween pumpkin that I´ve punched a logo into with Boolean Subtract and positioned a volumetric light inside. Hoping to get cool beams shooting out thru the logo. And it works to a degree: the beams works all right, beaming out from the pumpkin. But the light shines right through _all_ geometry, instead og being stopped in the places where there is no punched out logo.

I have searched the forum on this, and so far I´ve only found one solution and that is to use a gobo on the light with the logo. It works so-so. Is there another solution to this problem?

Johan Grönwall

Sensei
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I didn't have any problems making volumetric light that's masked..
Check out attached scene & object..
http://www2.trueart.pl/Tests/Volumetric_Light_Masked.png

donny
11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Hello Johan you can create the effect using geometry there was a older content scene that showed how to do this. Email me at [email protected] and I will send you the scene out.

ninjaman
11-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks a lot you both!

I´ll try out the scenes and figure out why I can´t get it to work.

Regards

Johan

donny
11-01-2006, 12:47 PM
When checking your scene make sure that you do have Ray Trace Shadows turned on in the Render Globals.

Extent
11-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Also, something that's probably not effecting you but is important to keep in mind is that the front size of a polygon does not cast shadows, only the back (invisible) side does. The easy way to check that is to hit the double sided option in surface properties.

dmac989
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Another one of my questions answered as well! :stumped: