PDA

View Full Version : Educational question Maya vs LW9

inquisitive
10-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi,

I have owned LW for quite a long time and have not had much time to dedicate to it. Now starting to get involved with it. While looking at what some animation houses use (and therefore want the applicant to be familiar with) most mention Maya.

I know each program (no matter the segment, animation, virus protection, etc) are different in nature and have their strenghts and weaknesses.

Is LW9 moving towards an easier way to animate characters? it seems that some places prefer Maya? is there a reason for that? (or maybe its already there?)

What are LW9 strengths and what are Maya's?

Should i learn both LW9 and Maya (free version) along with Houdini (free version) or should i just stick to one program LW9 since i own the full version?

I look at this from the pet project perspective with the ultimate goal of switching careers to film/animation at some point in the future.

Thx

Celshader
10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
What are LW9 strengths and what are Maya's?

LightWave's traditional strengths are modeling and rendering, while Maya's traditional strength is character animation.

Exception
11-01-2006, 10:15 AM
LightWave's traditional strengths are modeling and rendering, while Maya's traditional strength is character animation.

Yup.
I'd add sensible interface logic and speed of use to Lightwave, and scripting possibilities in Maya into that mix.

inquisitive
11-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Thank you for taking the time.