PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.2 Beta

Largemedium
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I received notice that Lightwave 9.2 is open for beta testing. There was no mention of the UB being included in the beta program. If Newtek is "sooo close" to wrapping the UB version, why is it not part of the beta program? Or does that just mean we are one step closer to getting the UB we have all be patiently waiting for?

TomT
10-31-2006, 04:29 PM
What happened to 9.1?

Chilton
10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure about the naming conventions. So I defer that to the powers that be. Most likely, this will be addressed in the Open Beta group though, and not here.

Regarding the CodeWarrior based release, we're actually releasing two apps to Mac users for the Open Beta. One is a CW based build that I'm considering our reference platform. It contains the core components of LW, with the same basic UI, event management, etc. The Universal Binary is a fairly big departure on a lot of levels, so it is imperative that during the beta testing, we have the ability to distinguish between a bug in the core, and a bug in the new Mac code. Giving the users the ability to test in both environments is the best answer during beta testing.

And, of course, the old Mac code was already done. So as soon as the main cross-platform features were ready, it was one or two steps to get the Mac version out the door. The UB version will follow soon.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Starting to get excited here...

juanjgon
10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Waiting for it ... excited too ;)

Matt
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure about the naming conventions. So I defer that to the powers that be. Most likely, this will be addressed in the Open Beta group though, and not here.

Regarding the CodeWarrior based release, we're actually releasing two apps to Mac users for the Open Beta. One is a CW based build that I'm considering our reference platform. It contains the core components of LW, with the same basic UI, event management, etc. The Universal Binary is a fairly big departure on a lot of levels, so it is imperative that during the beta testing, we have the ability to distinguish between a bug in the core, and a bug in the new Mac code. Giving the users the ability to test in both environments is the best answer during beta testing.

And, of course, the old Mac code was already done. So as soon as the main cross-platform features were ready, it was one or two steps to get the Mac version out the door. The UB version will follow soon.

-Chilton

Isn't XCode better for Mac development?

Largemedium
10-31-2006, 06:39 PM
.... The UB version will follow soon.

-Chilton

Thanks for the update Chilton! I'm getting excited now...:thumbsup:

Chilton
10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Matt,

Isn't XCode better for Mac development?

I've been using it since the early NeXT days, though not as much as CW until fairly recently. In the late 90's, early 2k, I started using what was then called Project Builder for an OSX Server app. I was pretty frustrated with a lot of the inconsistencies I saw there with other apps that had their origins in Classic, so I filed a lot of bugs. Today, obviously, I use it quite a bit. Most of those bugs are fixed. For example, they recently added the ability to start a build via AppleScript, like CodeWarrior can do. I filed that bug/feature request in '99, I think.

On a G5, CodeWarrior just feels faster than XCode for a lot of things. On Intel hardware, XCode absolutely rules (that's understandable, since CW runs in Rosetta). I have a few gripes still, but as CW is no longer being developed, I suppose I can't be too upset. Plus, XCode is free. I'm not a huge fan of free software myself, but I realize Apple is footing the bill, and I'm paying for the Apple hardware. So I like the way it's going, and they added one feature to XCode in Leopard that was so tempting, I had to put Leopard on my machine at WWDC.

I can't talk about that, though ;-)

-Chilton

vector29
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
they added one feature to XCode in Leopard that was so tempting, I had to put Leopard on my machine at WWDC.

I can't talk about that, though ;-)

-Chilton

I'm looking forward to Xray/DTrace too. :thumbsup:

--Eddie

Chilton
10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Eddie,

I'm looking forward to Xray/DTrace too. :thumbsup:

--Eddie

Actually, my 'gotta-have' thing is much simpler than that. A minor annoyance, which has haunted me throughout the years.

However, X-Ray is pretty slick. My only gripe is that they mimicked Garage Band, and I have not wrapped my head around GarageBand yet. :confused:

-Chilton

harlan
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Boooo I havent received any notification yet!! :(

Matt
11-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Anyway, back to the announcement of the 9.2 Beta, sounds good from the newsletter!

Split Boxers
12-20-2006, 09:42 AM
How do I register for the 9.2 Beta?

Phil
12-20-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58665