PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 3D Newsletter - October 2006

Kurtis
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
The new issue of the LightWave 3D Newsletter has been posted.

Highlights:

LightWave Development News
LightWave Profile - XVIVO Scientific
LightWave Discovery - San Antonio College
LightWave Profile - Jamie Clark
NewTek 20th Anniversary party
NewTek at DVExpo

Full newsletter... (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v3-n10)

T-Light
10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
I must have checked here 1 min before you posted, great stuff :lwicon: :thumbsup:

Thanks Kurtis :)

theo
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
'Bout time we're lookin' at an update.

The neg-drones were starting to give me that itchy crawly feeling very time I visited this place, hopefully this news should pop a few of them back in their jars for a few minutes.

borkus
10-31-2006, 05:41 PM
i can't find the open beta banner. did i miss it already? i looked at the newsletter about 20 minutes after kurtis posted it.

digital verve
10-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Great news on the upcoming updates. :)

hrgiger
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
The new issue of the LightWave 3D Newsletter has been posted.

Highlights:

words words words
words words words
words words words
words words words
words words words

Full newsletter... (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v3-n10)

What I actually see when I look at Kurtis's post.

T-Light
10-31-2006, 06:49 PM
hrgiger -

words words words
words words words

What I actually see when I look at Kurtis's post.
Weird, I got this...

All work and no update makes giger a dull boy
All work and no ...

:D
Chin up old stick, the only thing missing was a date.

*Pete*
11-01-2006, 01:32 AM
"We’re nearing the final stages of preparation for LightWave v9.2 Open Beta."

what??..v9.2??

i thought the updates would be like 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and so on

Ztreem
11-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Great news, can't wait until I can play with the beta. :)

Skonk
11-01-2006, 02:21 AM
"We’re nearing the final stages of preparation for LightWave v9.2 Open Beta."

what??..v9.2??

i thought the updates would be like 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and so on

Newtek have often jumped up several versions depending on how much new "stuff" has been aded. To go from 9.0 to 9.2 they must feel they have introduced 2 point numbers worth of new features.

Lewis
11-01-2006, 02:21 AM
:) good news indeed :)

WilliamVaughan
11-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Newtek have often jumped up several versions depending on how much new "stuff" has been aded. To go from 9.0 to 9.2 they must feel they have introduced 2 point numbers worth of new features.

9.1 was internal.

Kurtis
11-01-2006, 05:48 AM
i can't find the open beta banner. did i miss it already? i looked at the newsletter about 20 minutes after kurtis posted it.

There will be an official announcement when it begins.

Kuzey
11-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Sweetness !!

Can't wait to watch from the sidelines again.....must get new computer :D

Kuzey

Wonderpup
11-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Speaking as a neg drone this announcement does have a familiar vaugness about it in places as regards actual deliverable features. I understand why this is so, but it would help I think if NT could be a little more specific as to why the object ID thing is an exciting development- to be honest it's significance has passed over my head. Is it 'just' a fix- or is it significant advancement? And if so in what way- what general sorts of things will it allow me to do that I can't do already?

I'd also welcome any info on the recent stability issues and if any fix's have been made in this update to address them.

JamesCurtis
11-01-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm currently working on a project for a client so I hope I get that done before OB starts again. Otherwise I'll have to see how the beta's progressing before unleashing it onto a current paying project. But I'll still get in the loop. Loved it the first time!!

-EsHrA-
11-01-2006, 07:05 AM
well, and im sceptic.

mlon

Lewis
11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm currently working on a project for a client so I hope I get that done before OB starts again. Otherwise I'll have to see how the beta's progressing before unleashing it onto a current paying project. But I'll still get in the loop. Loved it the first time!!

Interesting :). I'm complete opposit, preparing to start one new project and hopig that OB will start ASAP since i'd really need that openGL in modeler I'am be dealing with 1.4 million polygons model and that' CRAWLS currently in modeler even if is split whole **** thing to 150k polygons per layer it's still slow as **** :(.

Bring it on NewTek :).

lw3d23
11-01-2006, 07:14 AM
that is what I saw

when
soon, how soon
who cares other news
I don't care
give me 9.2 now! [email protected]#$%^&*....

:D

kfiram
11-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Great news.
But the real question is: have they fixed LW9's bugs and missing features?
The half-baked Edge Weights, the Hub problems, FPrime Nodes connection...

Nicolas Jordan
11-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Great news! I am very curious to see what changes have been made to selection of geometry in modeler.

gjjackson
11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Interesting :). I'm complete opposit, preparing to start one new project and hopig that OB will start ASAP since i'd really need that openGL in modeler I'am be dealing with 1.4 million polygons model and that' CRAWLS currently in modeler even if is split whole **** thing to 150k polygons per layer it's still slow as **** :(.

Bring it on NewTek :).

What I did was lower the subpatch divisions to 1 for both types. Using a laptop with 32mb ram it helped a great deal.

Lewis
11-01-2006, 09:31 AM
What I did was lower the subpatch divisions to 1 for both types. Using a laptop with 32mb ram it helped a great deal.

It's not SubPatch model :). It's full 1.4 million triangles in modeler. That's crawling currently :(.

Panikos
11-01-2006, 09:48 AM
I save my critisism for the right timing :stumped:

Ztreem
11-01-2006, 10:43 AM
It's not SubPatch model :). It's full 1.4 million triangles in modeler. That's crawling currently :(.

I know what you mean, I've converted a couple of car models from NURBS packages and it makes modeler crawl like a snail stuck in glue. I've waited for this openGL upgrade a long time, it sure is time. :)

Bog
11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Did I read that right? Are you guys actually saying Layout Style OpenGL in Modeler? Functionality, options, speed et al? Or "A step towards those things"?

I've been chucking a 4.5 million polygon model around this week, and it's been Heavy Messing. And very embarassing to have it spinning in a featherlight manner in Max. *shakes fist at overblown CAD package*

Phil
11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
What surprised me was that more layers, for the same total number of polygons, has a major impact on Modeler. Importing objects with insane numbers of layers (200+), but only around 50K polygons completely buries Modeler 9.0's OpenGL. Bring all that geometry into a single layer, without merging any vertices and it's much, much faster.

Odd, but true. No idea what's going on there, but it sucks. Reported to [email protected], but no comment received yet.

Anti-Distinctly
11-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Great news.
But the real question is: have they fixed LW9's bugs and missing features?
The half-baked Edge Weights, the Hub problems, FPrime Nodes connection...

Quoted for agreement.

blondimage
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Great news!

Can't wait to get started.

.... almost feels like this time last year all over again!??

... drones and all.

Matt
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
The Modeler OGL speed update is the feature I'm most excited about, how often have you clicked on a dense model and had to go and make a cuppa while Modeler hilights your selection!

Speaking of hilighing selections, will the new OGL fix these hilighting errors:

pixym
11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Good news, very good news specially for new AA, MB, Radiosity improvements.
Unfortunetly, no word on Instancing in Modeler or Layout...

T-Light
11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
For everyone up in the air on dates (all of us), take a look at Chucks new post on the Beta forums, it isn't specifying a date per se, but it looks like things are starting to happen :thumbsup:

TheDynamo
11-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I would wonder that the overhaul of the Object ID system they mention in the newsletter was a major obstacle to introducing Instancing. Right now pre-christmas rush work is keeping me so busy I might as well just start over learning lightwave again. :help: Everything is After Effects of course, no tinkering in LW.

A new beta would tweak things enough to have me want to look at a computer at the end of the day. :D

serge
11-02-2006, 02:22 AM
I'd like to sign up for the Open Beta, but have to wait until it starts. Is there a way to register for the Beta forums before that?

Phil
11-02-2006, 02:24 AM
I feel a note of caution is needed: beta doesn't imply stability of implementation or function. Expecting the beta to be reliable out-of-the-gate is likely to cause you some, or a lot of, pain. It's a beta, not a final release and the distinction is made for a reason.

This isn't a Google product - something which is beta until such time as no one is using it. ;)

badllarma
11-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Great news! I am very curious to see what changes have been made to selection of geometry in modeler.

It's done by a mind control rig that attaches to your head bang goes my NDA :D

"Thought Control Selection".:thumbsup:

Sensei
11-02-2006, 10:48 AM

Can you send me this model? I will try loading it in TrueLoad and see how fast/slow it's spinning.. In such custom made OpenGL programs it's possible to calculate 3d graphics card polygon per second limits (that is not possible to bypass by anything)..

I am sure Sub-Patch/CC Sub-D previewing can be speed up, but noticeable speeding up normal polygonal model redrawing, unlikely.. If NewTek will use the most obvious OpenGL technique- using OpenGL lists, they would be flushed each time you add and modify geometry.. So gaining speed only in view port movement, rotation and scalling..

In theory it's possible to use vertex and pixel shaders to handle Sub-Patches, but I don't think so NewTek will go so far, at least in the near future, this would be option only for people that already have shaders v2.0 compatible graphics card..

Lewis
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Can you send me this model? I will try loading it in TrueLoad and see how fast/slow it's spinning.. In such custom made OpenGL programs it's possible to calculate 3d graphics card polygon per second limits (that is not possible to bypass by anything)..

Hi Sensei !

Sadly but i can't share this model (that's one of two what i have to flush parts/selecton sets) since it's under NDA. I just got them two days ago and i'm preparing/examining how many days/hours i'll need to remodel that (currently its too dense 'coz it's translated from IGES to polys/triangles) so that i can agree wiht client on fair price for both of us :). So far it looks like i'll start with this remodeling in monday (not 100% sure but 95%) so i was really hoping to have faster rotating/zooming/panning in modeler before i start on this monster :).

When i load this model in Deep Exploration it works 6-7fps while in modeler it looks like 0.5-0.6 fps :(. Basicaly it's crawling in modeler so i'm selecting cut/paste some parts of model to spread it across several layers to be able to work normally.

Sensei
11-02-2006, 11:47 AM
It's car or other vehicle? Can you show at least wires?

Lewis
11-02-2006, 11:58 AM
It's car or other vehicle? Can you show at least wires?

Nope, not a vehicle at all :).

It's Part of "king size" Generator (CAT-175). I have lot of pipes, screws... I can't show wireframe either but i think it won't help to anyone since it's just part of that generator (my guess only 20% of whole model so i wonder how i would load full size model if needed :))

Sensei
11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Lesterfoster used our's NURBS modeler EasySpline (http://www.easyspline.com) for such technical reverse engineered objects
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56664&highlight=auto+spline+patch
This way you work with 4 true bezier control points and have infinite freezing resolution.. One bended pipe can have 8 points at the beginning, 8 points at the end, and 2 control points for bezier splines between them.. In total 24 points controlling thousands of other points in frozen object.. So little rules so many.. ;)
Not to mention work with virtual 50 thousands EasySpline sub-patches is like LW work with 500 normal polygons..
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/EasySpline_Pipe.png

Ztreem
11-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Sensei: Do you have a demo version of easy spline? I would love to test it before I consider buying it.

colkai
11-03-2006, 03:07 AM
To be honest Ztreem, if you can afford it, it's simply worth having if you do anything with splines at all.

The visual feedback you get is a real workflow boost to the modelling with splines.