PDA

View Full Version : Mac - Crash on render?

yevlar
10-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Here's a crashing issue I've had that I don't see elsewhere on the forum. On the Mac in LW9, I sometimes get a crash right after rendering the first frame of a scene. It doesn't seem to be predictible, but once it happens, that scene file is doomed to crash consistently until the end of time. Basically, the render will begin normally, but when it reaches 100% in the first rendered frame, *poof* all go bye-bye, regardless as to if I just rendered the current frame or if I'm rendering the full scene. Disabling the hub and deleting the configs hasn't helped.

Anyone else experienced this?

This issue happens enough that I'm most likely going to revert to using 8.5 until a patch is released.

BeeVee
11-03-2006, 01:46 AM
You need to provide content and a consistent set of steps. That way the new patch stands a chance of fixing the problem.

B

riki
11-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Layout is not stable on Mac, and it never has been. It crashes continually (like every five minutes) regardless of what you're doing.

yevlar
11-10-2006, 12:13 PM
As soon as I get a chance I'll post the problem scenes and files with a detailed list of what I'm doing.

:agree: And yes, I realize that the Mac universe is not the ideal world for Lightwave at this point in time, but I'd rather use the software on my 1-year-old Dual-2GHz G5 than on my 7-year-old 600 MHz PIII.

Scazzino
11-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Layout is not stable on Mac, and it never has been. It crashes continually (like every five minutes) regardless of what you're doing.

Are you running with or without the hub? I've found Layout pretty stable with the hub disabled. I've had some stability issues trying to use FPrime in LW9, but other than that it's been pretty stable for me...

byte_fx
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Not sure it applies in this case but I've encountered something that sounds similar in at least LW 7.0 thru 8.5 on the PC. And it garbles the scene file so badly it's useless for rendering.

If you set up the 'save animation' options incorrectly then this type of thing will happen. Every time.

Only way to recover is to do a 'load from scene' and save as a new scene name.

Or - manually edit a copy of the scene file to correct the error.

That's the main reason I got in the habit of enveloping the camera settings, even if there is only one key frame, and saving the envelopes (and camera motion) as part of the project file.

Everything else will load ok from the 'load from scene'. Then you can load the camera motion and enveloped settings to restore the camera.

There are now plugins to do most or all of that but I still do it manually.

byte_fx

toby
11-12-2006, 03:30 AM
As soon as I get a chance I'll post the problem scenes and files with a detailed list of what I'm doing.

:agree: And yes, I realize that the Mac universe is not the ideal world for Lightwave at this point in time, but I'd rather use the software on my 1-year-old Dual-2GHz G5 than on my 7-year-old 600 MHz PIII.
Actually I believe it's just as stable as you'd expect from something running in Windows. I've used both for several years now, and have had more or less equal stability. But with Chilton bringing us the UB version soon, LW may become cleary more stable on the Mac than the PC, so stay tuned!

gerry_g
11-12-2006, 05:55 AM
A more simple way or additional to what byte_fx suggests is to save your scene regularly 'BUT' with different version numbers, and in particular getting into the habit of doing this before you hit F10, this way you can always backtrack to previous version if things go bad.