PDA

View Full Version : LightWave demo anytime soon?

Matt
10-31-2006, 06:40 AM
We're in the process of assessing the future roadmap for our in-house rendering, which essentially is down to me recommending a viable path, as we need to have more people helping out on the visualisation side of things.

My colleagues in our Cambridge office have asked if there is a LightWave demo for download so they can have a poke around, as one of the routes is to train some of the other designers in LightWave and buy more seats.

Imagine my frustration when I had to say, well, no, not really, but if you download the old 8.5 update you can use that, well, sort of, but not for anything decent.

NewTek, erm, how can I put this politely ... YOU NEED TO HAVE A PROPER DEMO (NOT JUST THE DISCOVERY EDITION) ON YOUR FRONT PAGE OF THE LATEST VERSION IN ORDER FOR PEOPLE TO TAKE LIGHTWAVE SERIOUSLY OVER THE COMPETITION.

Phew, that's all! Feel better now.

Yes, I have resorted to handing over my installer for LW9 so they can use it in 'Discovery' mode, so sue me, what am I supposed to do?

Dismayed
Matt

bryphi7
10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
sue ya? they should be thanking you.

I gave mine to one of my hacker friends so he could make his own demo, and distrubute it over the net. :D :D :D

just kidding...

-EsHrA-
10-31-2006, 08:00 AM
it seems you can dl lw9 demo when u register at the site.
thats what someone from nt europe told me.

mlon

Phil
10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
You can only do that if you are an existing customer with 8.x registered. Everyone else sees nothing and gets nothing.

The excuse that the 9.0 demo is waiting for learning content is well past its sell by date now. By the time they release the demo, we'll have to go through this all over again because the learning material won't reflect the state of the program. I'm assuming that 9.1 now becomes the demo version; one would hope that the UB version will also appear in demo form.

Frankly, though, I'm astonished. I've never understood why the updates were squiralled away with 8.0 so that Joe Public can only evaluate 7.5. With 9.0, we have a pitiful state of affairs, but NewTek seem to have no sense of urgency about fixing it. I wouldn't be surprised to find potential new users heading for their nearest BitTorrent search engine and client, simply to be able to evaluate the program outside of NewTek's glacial marketing pace.

What's difficult to understand is that the demo will be timebombed to revert to useless^WDiscovery mode after 30 days. It would have been preferable to have a learning version using irregular file formats (a la Maya PLE, etc.) and watermarking. Especially if learning material is as substantial as the delay warrants.

Personally, I think just licensing some content from Kurv would have been a much smarter move if learning content was needed for the demo version. We'd have had the demo versions available almost immediately and there'd be no impact on NewTek's internal resource usage. Somehow every other vendor manages to get learning/demo versions out on the day of release - NewTek is at close to 4 months and counting.

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 08:54 AM
.. but NewTek seem to have no sense of urgency about fixing it.

Incorrect. It's something that's in the works right now. :oye:

Lewis
10-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi Chris, it's good to know DEMO is still in works but as Matt and others said it's d**m too LONG wait by now. It's ben told that LW9 DEMO will be published RIGHT AFTER 9.0 gets out and how many months passed since then :(????? I also had several friends who asked me about demo and i don't know how to explain them that there is no demo for download :(. Seriously nobody want's to download OLD version demo and use it in discovery mode.

We need DEMOs published online at same day as final version (or day after at least).

cheers and good luck

Phil
10-31-2006, 09:47 AM
With respect, it's been 'in the works' seemingly continuously since 9.0 shipped. At least that has been the response every time this issue has been raised. We're now 4 months later and no demo is available direct for download from the front page for every potential customer. There is no ETA of any kind for said demo. What is a potential customer supposed to do?! Twiddle their thumbs? Or go and grab demos from vendors who have made them available immediately a new version is released, and who continue to make them available with no fuss or bother (no email requests / postal shipment delays), and no need to visit or contact a distributor. Examples abound - in fact I cannot think of a distributor today who does not have a current demo or learning version available for download.

For what it is worth, the same 'in the works' answer was also given for 8.0 through to 8.5 and no demo was ever made available for download. Sure, if you were made aware of it, you could get a demo disc via post from [email protected], but that's not exactly convenient, is it?

Right now, the only general availability demo is for 7.5d. You can hardly believe that this gives a fair impression of your new release, can you? NewTek were pushed about this during the whole of 8.x and yet 9.0 shows the same problem. Forgive my frustration, but actions speak louder than words. 4 months. Tick tock.

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
With respect, it's been 'in the works' seemingly continuously since 9.0 shipped.

Thus is the nature of 3D production tools, in general. It's a contunuous cycle of trying to create new features, tweaking existing ones, and trying to keep the software stable to run on multiple platforms, as well as handling all logistics around it. With finite resources, we try to focus on the things that make the biggest impact on the software. Lately, that's been stability. Now that we're getting a handle on some of those issues, we've been able to focus more on the Demo CD.

Of course, you guys have every right to ask for these things. As long as things take to come to fruition at times, you have every right to be impatient.

When I'm surfing the forums for the products I use, I'm the first to point out when something's not the way it should be (in my opinion). When it doesn't happen, or I don't see that someone's taking notice, I get just as impatient (if not more so) than anyone. It's all because I'm a fan of the product. If I didn't like the product, overall, I wouldn't complain about the things I didn't like. I'd just use something else. We know why you're here, and we're listening, even if we can't respond to every post.

I just wanted to pop in, and reitterate that it is in the works, and perhaps request that people refrain from painting the situation with their own ideas of what's going on, especially when it paints a picture that isn't really accurate. The demo disk is actually something that's currently being put together, and lots of people are getting involved to make it happen. I just want to eliminate the idea that we're not considering it a priority. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. :D

-EsHrA-
10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
quote 'You can only do that if you are an existing customer with 8.x registered. Everyone else sees nothing and gets nothing.'

not sure, here is the reply i got ....

i asked 'does it mean now anybody can dl the lw9 demo?'

answer...

'Yes anyone
that goes online and creates a profile can get the trial version of
LightWave v9'

anyways, we need a demo on the site.

mlon

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 10:53 AM
We need DEMOs published online at same day as final version (or day after at least).

:agree:

This is a great thing to do, both in theory, and practice. Unfortunately, it wasn't something that was initially made a priority, over other issues that needed to be addressed. The current demo CD is very much a priority, though, so we may soon be able to at least narrow the gap between expectations and reality, in that respect.

BigHache
10-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I was able to register a new account owning no NewTek products and download the demo for 9. I even called NewTek and asked about a demo and that's what they said to do.

Phil
10-31-2006, 11:42 AM
ChrisPitts : Fair enough. Could information be placed front-and-centre on the web site to at least relay this to casual visitors? If BigHache's statement is accurate, it would at least give people the opportunity to evaluate the release.

BigHache : Really? That's news to me. The last comment I saw was that existing 8.x users would see the 9.0 downloads in their account (although obviously no permanent license key). That was the basis of my observation.

If NewTek are happy to have this way used, perhaps we should all change our signatures :D

Matt
10-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Chris, thanks for replying. I realise it was in the works, I just thought it would have been done by now.

Matt
10-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Phil - LMAO at your sig! ;)

Phil
10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
It's been that way since this issue surfaced back with 8.0. When I updated it for the 9.0 'coming soon' information, I decided that I'd add a little emphasis to show that we know the situation is less than ideal.

I'm surprised that I haven't had to alter it since. As a soon-to-be Mac owner, I'm wondering if I shouldn't add something about UB as well :D

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 01:31 PM
ChrisPitts : Fair enough. Could information be placed front-and-centre on the web site to at least relay this to casual visitors? If BigHache's statement is accurate, it would at least give people the opportunity to evaluate the release.

I suppose we could do that, although depending on exactly when we get the Demo CD out, the information might be dated very quickly. ;)