PDA

View Full Version : LW on a Mac Pro 2.66 Mac Pro

grc
10-31-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi,

Just checking the experiences of running LW on a 2.66 Mac Pro under Rosseta?
I know a min of 2 gig would probably be needed, but just like to check stability, I know the speed will take a hit until UB come along.

Would it be better to run 9 rather then 8/8.5?

Thanks

al3d
10-31-2006, 06:38 AM
personnaly i'm running it on Bootcamp....realy realy buggy under OXS right now for me

John the Geek
10-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Same here. Running Lightwave 9.0 native to Windows on a quad-core 2.66GHz Xeon tower just rocks. If the native Mac OS X version sings anything close to this I will buy Chilton a new pair of socks... because the UB will knock all our socks off ... and his feet will get cold.

=)

grc
10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
So it seems as though the best way to run it on a intel is through Bootcamp?

Bit of a shame though seeing as I would have to keep switching OS back to Mac to use Photoshop.

harlan
10-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Yes... definitely run LW under WinXP through BootCamp. If you don't, you're in for a nightmare!!!

Fingers & Toes crossed for a less buggy Mac LW when the UB comes out.

grc
10-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Will I need a seperate serial number for this or can I use the same as the Mac version?
I know the dongle is Windows and Mac, though not sure about serial numbers.

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Same here. Running Lightwave 9.0 native to Windows on a quad-core 2.66GHz Xeon tower just rocks. If the native Mac OS X version sings anything close to this I will buy Chilton a new pair of socks... because the UB will knock all our socks off ... and his feet will get cold.

=)

Chilton wears argyle socks. Stock up. ;)

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Will I need a seperate serial number for this or can I use the same as the Mac version?
I know the dongle is Windows and Mac, though not sure about serial numbers.

This is an awesome question. I'll see if I can find the answer for you. :)

ChrisPitts
10-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Not sure yet, but you'll know when we know.

byte_fx
10-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Whoa.

In the past the Mac and PC installs returned a different return key number.

Then the user could get a different license key by re-registering using that other key.

This makes it sound as if Newtek plans to kill that and require a second purchase for use on a different platform.

One of the features that was listed in the LW 9 coming attractions list a long, long, time ago was that it would check for dongle presence during use - not just at startup.

Haven't upgraded to 9 yet as it isn't UB so don't know if that part made it into the final build.

If it did then that should effectively let the purchaser use LW on an infinite number of Macs and PCs by simply moving the dongle.

byte_fx

Chilton
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I'm not positive on the forward looking policies here, but my understanding is that we've been telling people they will use their existing license and dongle for the UB version.

Our end goal is to let you use LightWave anywhere and everywhere, as long as you have your dongle.

Some portions of LW check for the dongle during use.

-Chilton

Chilton
10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Then the user could get a different license key by re-registering using that other key.

This makes it sound as if Newtek plans to kill that and require a second purchase for use on a different platform.

One license per purchase. A purchase gets you a dongle. That dongle is your license. Use it on any platform, anywhere in the world. But you have to have your dongle.

-Chilton

(Speak softly to dongle. Do not enrage dongle, as it may attack.)

byte_fx
10-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Thank you Chilton.

Had a moment of minor panic there as the possibilty exists that I may end up using both Mac and PC versions depending on what I'm doing in LW.

byte_fx

John the Geek
10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
As a recent Intel Mac purchaser of Lightwave 9 my experience was this:

When registering the app I chose both Mac Intel and Win32 Intel and they were the exact same key. If you opt to register your Mac version as a PPC processor it would have been a different code returned.

So for Intel/Intel it's the same, Mac OS X or Boot Camp.

=)

Phil
10-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Could NewTek provide some logistic assistance for 3rd party developers who currently only provide Win32 versions of their plugins? As a soon-to-be MacBook Pro owner (I couldn't resist and the pricing seems extremely keen - I couldn't match the spec at Dell for the same money), I'd like to have UB versions of all my Win32 favourites. Some developers may need help with this.

It would be good to know that NewTek is preparing to put resources behind developers to help grow the Mac user base. ;) Failing that, in the magic world of code pixies, a shim to allow Win32 plugins to work within Intel Mac LW would be very welcome (Darwine or similar, perchance?).

By way of example. Infinimap, Dynamite, FiberFactory - all currently Windows-only. :( Windows XP on a Mac just seems faintly wrong.....

Lightwolf
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Could NewTek provide some logistic assistance for 3rd party developers who currently only provide Win32 versions of their plugins?
By way of example. Infinimap, Dynamite, FiberFactory - all currently Windows-only.
I can only speak for myself here...
As soon as I get my hands on the UB version of LW, the first thing I'll do is port exrTrader over, then infiniMap (which is loads more complex since it depends on a huge third party library).

There isn't much third parties can do before that (even though it would be neat to at least get updated SDK docs to start preparing for the UB).

Other than that... CodeWarrior (the compiler used for all OSX versions of LW to date) is not available anymore (there is the option of using MPW, running OS9, but only with C based plugins), so third parties moving to OSX now have no compiler to buy and need to wait for the UB.

Cheers,
Mike

zapper1998
10-31-2006, 01:47 PM

=)

Can you post your system specs on the quad core machine please
Thank You
Michael

Phil
10-31-2006, 02:02 PM
I can only speak for myself here...
As soon as I get my hands on the UB version of LW, the first thing I'll do is port exrTrader over, then infiniMap (which is loads more complex since it depends on a huge third party library).

There isn't much third parties can do before that (even though it would be neat to at least get updated SDK docs to start preparing for the UB).

Other than that... CodeWarrior (the compiler used for all OSX versions of LW to date) is not available anymore (there is the option of using MPW, running OS9, but only with C based plugins), so third parties moving to OSX now have no compiler to buy and need to wait for the UB.

Cheers,
Mike

I'm actually wondering if NewTek can provide support to help vendors who cannot afford Mac hardware. If they offered a porting service (for free or a small percentage of the revenue if absolutely needed), maybe the Mac folks would be happier bunnies ;) Since Richard Brak (I think) found himself unable to offer a porting service, and with this change in architecture for the Mac, I'm not sure how many plugins will (continue to) be available on Win32/64 and Mac.

More developer tutorials and resources would seem to be a good thing to have.

Lightwolf
10-31-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm actually wondering if NewTek can provide support to help vendors who cannot afford Mac hardware. If they offered a porting service (for free or a small percentage of the revenue if absolutely needed), maybe the Mac folks would be happier bunnies ;)
I think commercial developers ought to be able to at least afford a macMini (which is what we got last year) - especially since that is all that is needed for a UB port.
It would surely be nice to have a porting service for non-commercial plugins.

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
10-31-2006, 02:17 PM
I think commercial developers ought to be able to at least afford a macMini (which is what we got last year) - especially since that is all that is needed for a UB port.
It would surely be nice to have a porting service for non-commercial plugins.

Cheers,
Mike

Out of idle curiousity, How good is the developer documentation that comes with Macs?

John the Geek
10-31-2006, 02:26 PM
There's an entire website (http://developer.apple.com) devoted to it for free registration.... A CD available for download full of PDFs and examples at the Apple Developer Connection site above. The free Suite of apps (XCode) for building/layout/compiling your code.

Apple has really stepped up to provide all that you need to become a Mac programmer. And where they leave off you can get some nice books on Cocoa programming (Objective C).

=)

Lightwolf
10-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Out of idle curiousity, How good is the developer documentation that comes with Macs?
It is allright. Coming from the outside, the main downside are the fact that OSX uses a lot of Mac/Apple proprietary structures. You don't just have a file name, no, you have a CRef, which you'll need to convert a filename to. plenty of stuff like this that makes cross platform coding hard than need be (unless you develop your OS specific "wrappers", or restrict yourself to POSIX - very basic unix type functions).
On the other hand it seems you need to switch to Objective C to completely fathom Cocoa, yet another hurdle for cross platform coding.

Put it this way... OSX is the strangest OS I've seen so far, probably only matched by Macromedias or Adobes SDKs (which are strange too). Switching from the Amiga to NT is a piece of cake from a coding point of view.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
10-31-2006, 03:43 PM
P.S. of my previous post:

If you plan to just code for OSX, you'll get a really nice environment to work with. However, anything that is planned to be cross platform will be hard to achieve.

Cheers,
Mike

grc
11-01-2006, 03:46 AM
personnaly i'm running it on Bootcamp....realy realy buggy under OXS right now for me

My intial question was if you could use the same serial number as your Mac version when you installed the Windows version on you MacPro using Bootcamp?

al3d
11-01-2006, 06:01 AM
My intial question was if you could use the same serial number as your Mac version when you installed the Windows version on you MacPro using Bootcamp?

OH..yes yes...same serila and all

John the Geek
11-01-2006, 06:21 AM
OH..yes yes...same serila and all

IF they are the same processor. If you have a G5 Mac (PPC Processor) and you put it on a Mac Pro in Windows XP (Intel Processor) it will be a different code. It's the hardware you run it on that makes it a different code, not the OS or software.

But yes, Mac and Windows both on the same architecture (Intel Mac Pro) will be the same code.

=)