PDA

View Full Version : Buying RAM...seeking recommendations...

jeremyhardin
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, I've been using mac for a few years now. only bought one personal machine myself, and I added RAM at the apple store out of sheer lazyness.

I no longer want to do that, since I'll probably be going for 2 or 3 gigs next time around and can save quite a bit of money buying it from a 3rd party.

So those of you that have bought RAM from 3rd parties...have any recommendations?

Brand of memory and reseller recommendations welcome.

dsol
10-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Since dodgy RAM has proven to be my number 1 cause of hardware instability in the past, It's definitely worth getting branded RAM rather than generic cheapy no-name stuff. I've always bought from Crucial who are pretty darned competitive on price and deliver next-day - www.crucial.com - though when I've been in a hurry and needed to get RAM straight away I got Kingston or Corsair.

Be aware that the new Mac Pros use Apple-designed memory modules with custom heat spreaders. You can use third-party RAM with them, but it may make it more noisy/unstable. At least that's what I heard ;)

Scazzino
10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
I've always bought my RAM from:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/

They have great prices on their own and brand name RAM. Lifetime warranties (some with advanced replacement). I've never had a problem with their RAM.

:D

dsol
10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I'll probably be going for 2 or 3 gigs next time around and can save quite a bit of money buying it from a 3rd party.

Apple's a lot more competitive these days. It certainly used to be the case that RAM bought from Apple was hideously overpriced (more than double the cost of buying it from third parties), but these days they're not too bad - generally about 10-15% more than crucial. With the added convenience of knowing it's 100% guaranteed to work in your new mac.

I still buy my RAM from crucial, though when I finally get my 8-core Mac Pro there's a strong likelyhood I'll be getting the RAM from Apple. Not least because of the heat spreader issue I mentioned before.

pantone
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
I've always used Trans International. Tranintl.com (http://www.transintl.com/)

They do a good job on price and they honor their warranties. I had a RAM chip that was two years old go bad and the replaced it no questions asked.

KPS
10-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I always use Macsolutions.
http://macsolutions.com

Jeff

gatz
10-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Don't mess around. Crucial. A lot of people offer warranties with free shipping. But free or not who wants to mess with bad RAM.

rg

BigHache
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I recommend staying with Apple RAM if possible, especially if you're buying a new system.

If ever you experience a problem with your machine the first thing Apple techs are going to ask is you have Apple RAM, and if not they will want to see if that's causing any problem first. Also Apple's prices on RAM have come down substantially, and a even a 20% savings is not worth a possible bad RAM address for me.

Not that other brands guarantees bad RAM or not, but stopping in the middle of a project because of bad RAM is not a fun day.