PDA

View Full Version : Other Render Engines Help

Filmdesigner
10-30-2006, 06:59 AM
For a little while now various people have suggested I look at Maxwell Render, FPrime or KRay as alternatives to the Lightwave 9 render engine. I generally build large Archivis scenes of around 12-15 million polys and have struggled to get my render times down.

Does anyone have some *helpful advice* on this matter as I quite like the LW9 renderer but understand there might be alternatives. I am appealing for realistic, preferably unbiased comparisons and suggestions, if possible, as my searches on the web have only uncovered product specific websites.

The attached image is a sample of our recent work. I know there are many issues, especially with the people and some dodgy PS work, but the result is pretty close to that desired. Please comment.

If I can remember: Final render 2500 x 1500 pixels, GI at 1 bounce, 125%, one area light at 175%, skydome at 100%, raytrace at 8. Anything else, just ask.

For other examples have a look at the gallery on our website;

www.crayonagency.com/gallery.htm

Thanks to all.

Filmdesigner
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
In my ignorance, I failed to understand the question. I have a lot of respect for the LW render engine and didn't realise these competing engines are stand-alone products. I understand if the question is out of place here.

Oh, it's V-Ray, not KRay. That's something else.

toby
10-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Firstly, nice image! It's got contrast! Slightly blown out whites and dark blacks! That's so rare, and so much more realistic. How long did this take to render?

Lengthy discussion about Kray, with images and render times here :
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57914

I've used VRay in production, and it looks to me like KRay will be much much faster. VRay's not available for Lightwave anyway. As for LW speed, Kray will do in a minute what LW will do in an hour.

jeremyhardin
10-31-2006, 02:15 AM
I would also highly recommend Fprime, but not if you're going to be using nodes and some of the other goodies of LW9's new features.

Filmdesigner
10-31-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks guys. The render took about 6 hours. Pretty harsh but I insist on high resolutions. My use of LW is really basic. I haven't even looked at the animation features yet, after 3 years of use. I turned-on some nodes by accident, so I doubt it would be a problem.

So, I will look at Kray (even though I was told not to?!) and FPrime. I recently rendered a marina with a lot of objects, Fprime would have been ideally suited I understand.

Any thoughts about Maxwell?

-EsHrA-
10-31-2006, 04:43 AM
maxwell too slow, fprime nice and fast, kray..do i need drewl tissues?!..
so for now fprime is your friend.
i have long gone abandoned lw render engine even perspective cam because of gi is ancient and accordingly slow.

mlon

Filmdesigner
11-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Okay! I have gone out and bought a copy of FPrime and have delivered upon myself a new kind of ****. I have only recently got LW to stay open for a render to complete. Now FPrime not only shuts down Layout, but locks-up my system as well.

I have done all the suggested things, like updating all drivers, re-installing my system and reinstalling FPrime, to no avail.

Any ideas from the mega-users?

As I told the Worley Guys, when it worked in the first hour, it changed my life. Touch wood.

Cheers