PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly1

balogo
10-30-2006, 06:03 AM
A new render of a butterfly on the leaf. Here (in Brazil) this especie is called monarca. thanks for all comments.

Aquilon
10-30-2006, 10:45 AM
looking good ... the butterfly looks real enough, but the leaf looks like it's a plastic one, maybe make it a bit less shiny and add some translucency

balogo
10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
thanks.. all the comments help me much... (sorry but my enghish not is good, ok)

oDDity
10-30-2006, 04:19 PM
You have to do a bit more work than that to qualify as proper CG. It's obviously just an image of a butterfly pasted onto flat polygons, it doesn't even key into the background properly, you can see the blue haziness in the top corners of the wings. You need to look at using other maps than a simple colour map- diffuse, specular, translucence etc to simulate the properties of real butterfly wings, Using images pasted onto polygons only works successfully for things such as soup cans.

Aquilon
11-01-2006, 02:23 AM
You have to do a bit more work than that to qualify as proper CG. It's obviously just an image of a butterfly pasted onto flat polygons, it doesn't even key into the background properly, you can see the blue haziness in the top corners of the wings. You need to look at using other maps than a simple colour map- diffuse, specular, translucence etc to simulate the properties of real butterfly wings, Using images pasted onto polygons only works successfully for things such as soup cans.

like he said in his dragonfly-thread, he's only new in 3d, give him some slack and post helpfull comments instead of bashing around

starbase1
11-01-2006, 03:47 AM
looking good ... the butterfly looks real enough, but the leaf looks like it's a plastic one, maybe make it a bit less shiny and add some translucency

Really? I thought the leaf was quite good!

Oddity is right to a degree about the wings, but given that you are just starting, I would not worry too much. I think you could give it a little boost by copying the image into the bump channel, to add a little 3d effect. I think the dark viens are raised, so you will probably need to set the bump to -80%, or something like that.

A little specular will also help emphasize the bump.

As with your dragonfly, I suggest you look at atdding an interference layer - it's a shader that can be added on the last tab pf the surface, and is very useful for insects in general.

Nick

balogo
11-01-2006, 08:46 AM
thanks for all hints. im new in lightwave program (in the past im work with vetorial programs only - called signlab, etc)thank for all comments, because its very important to me.
(sorry but i dont speak english, ok)