PDA

View Full Version : Forum Title

John the Geek
10-29-2006, 07:28 PM
So does anyone think we could get the sub-forum's title changed to accurately reflect our platform? Since we're running lightwave on a Mac (Macintosh) not a MAC (Money Access Center). Just a pet peev of mine when people write MAC as if it were an acronym like PC is.

I know, it stands for Mighty Awesome Computer, right?

=)

Largemedium
10-29-2006, 10:15 PM
You must be bored to start such a useless thread.

dmac989
10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Many Added Costs..... :tongue: Just kidding.

Chilton
10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I consider this a legacy issue. Many people outside the Mac universe think it is an abbreviation of some sort. They also don't see it as a big deal, so there's little impetus to fix it. This in turn really frustrates ISPs and those who work at/with/for them, as MAC typically refers to the Media Access Control address of a computer's network card. There are very few things more annoying than trying to convey 'all caps' over the phone, without shouting.

And obviously, it annoys Mac users. On the upside, it allows Mac users to detect 'poseurs', as indicated by the following sentence...

"I have been using MAC for 20 years and they always crash and blow up!!"

Frankly, I know everyone is bored of waiting for the Universal Binary to ship. Perhaps this thread is an indication of it. I am too, though I get to play with it every day, so I'm not quite as bored. But we are very close now, I just can't say exactly how close.

However, my guess is bit more upbeat. I suspect this thread was created because the author senses the oncoming Mac storm that is the Universal Binary of LightWave. As such, he is undoubtedly looking for ways to remove any remaining PC related cruftiness, wherever he finds it.

-Chilton

John the Geek
10-30-2006, 05:42 AM
You must be bored to start such a useless thread.

Wow, trolling really is everywhere. I was neither bored nor attempting to be useless, but rather addressing an issue of accuracy. I shall from now on incorrectly refer to you as Smallmedium, and you will consider it to be "useless" effort to correct me in my error. Have a nice day.

I consider this a legacy issue. Many people outside the Mac universe think it is an abbreviation of some sort. They also don't see it as a big deal, so there's little impetus to fix it. This in turn really frustrates ISPs and those who work at/with/for them, as MAC typically refers to the Media Access Control address of a computer's network card. There are very few things more annoying than trying to convey 'all caps' over the phone, without shouting.

And obviously, it annoys Mac users. On the upside, it allows Mac users to detect 'poseurs', as indicated by the following sentence...

"I have been using MAC for 20 years and they always crash and blow up!!"

I forgot about NIC and you are correct, it does help to spot the fakes from a distance.

I really was just addressing the accuracy of the term, since it really does bug me.

Frankly, I know everyone is bored of waiting for the Universal Binary to ship. Perhaps this thread is an indication of it. I am too, though I get to play with it every day, so I'm not quite as bored. But we are very close now, I just can't say exactly how close.

You are such a tease. You big meany! :devil:

However, my guess is bit more upbeat. I suspect this thread was created because the author senses the oncoming Mac storm that is the Universal Binary of LightWave. As such, he is undoubtedly looking for ways to remove any remaining PC related cruftiness, wherever he finds it.

Uh, yeah... that's exactly what I was thinking! Remove all PC baggage.

:thumbsup:

jameswillmott
10-30-2006, 05:47 AM
PC's, Mac's, Amiga, ZX81's... bah. They all use the same electrons...

Darth Mole
10-30-2006, 07:49 AM
No they don't: Macs use expensive, free-range electrons which are longer lasting and more accurate. The electrons in a Dell, for instance, come from a sweat shop in Asia and are packed in undersized crates for the duration of the long sea voyage. When they are finally poured into cheap PCs they're confused, malnourished and often critically weak. That's why PCs crash more often and are susceptible to viruses.

Jeez, don't you guys know anything?

mike_stening
10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
thats also why they smell a bit funny:hey:

Chuck
10-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I can't see what you are talking about. The forum title isn't all caps.

;) mwuhahahahahaha! :ohmy:

John the Geek
10-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I can't see what you are talking about. The forum title isn't all caps.

;) mwuhahahahahaha! :ohmy:

:king: I made a difference today! Yay!

:I_Love_Ne

ChrisPitts
10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
:hijack:

PC's, Mac's, Amiga, ZX81's... bah. They all use the same electrons...

This is untrue. MACs use iLectrons®, which are twice as expensive as electrons, but also twice as trendy. :D

*runs to his cubicle and hides amongst his PC's* :neener:

John the Geek
10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
...MACs...
http://www.animationinsider.net/forums/custom/global/additional_smilies/doh.gif

ChrisPitts
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Oops! Sorry..

MACS

there ya go.

*ducks*

byte_fx
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM

-Chilton

You are such a tease. You big meany! :devil:

And he gets paid to play with UB version as well. :lol:

There just isn't any justice in the world anymore.

I would be very happy to play with the UB version without the salary even if it still had a few warts.

byte_fx

Darth Mole
10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I would be very happy to play with the UB version without the salary even if it still had a few warts.

Oh, don't worry - we will... :D

byte_fx
10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
That's ok - I'll keep on chugging along on my Xeon/XP render nodes for now.

As for which OS I'll use for LW after UB comes out - the one that renders fastest and has the least bugs and crashes.

I can always use the Mac Pro for post - that was enough to justify the purchase.

byte_fx

mike_stening
10-31-2006, 02:52 AM
As for which OS I'll use for LW after UB comes out - the one that renders fastest and has the least bugs and crashes.

personally i'm going with the one that doesn't crash:boogiedow :thumbsup:

byte_fx
10-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Thet's the thing.

Problem is - present and past versions of LW seem to have different crash points between the Mac and PC versions.

So I may actuallly end up going back and forth betwen the Mac and PC as I progress thru the different stages and aspects of modeling and scene setup.

For now I have to stick with the PC version - running under Rosetta is just way too slow to be remotely useable.

byte_fx