PDA

View Full Version : Mac Engines

Angelo D'Ambros
10-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi,
Could someone suggest a good game engine for mac? Something not so high cost but pretty good and with some game specific dev tool (like AI, levels organization, UI). Something like Beyond Virtual (don't seems to exist a mac version:2guns: ).

Thanks

somnambulance
10-30-2006, 10:59 PM
http://developer.apple.com/games/gameenginesonmac.html

I personally do not care one bit for Torque.

I downloaded the Unity demo a few moths ago, spent about a half hour with it. It looks good to me from that half hour I spent with it... Enough for me to say it would be my choice. I became a Windows user out of the frustration you are facing, Unity wasn't around at that time.

I read a while ago that UnrealEd 3 was going to work on mac... If it runs in OS X, it would be great.

ItsPete
10-31-2006, 12:21 PM
most definitely take a look at unity

Angelo D'Ambros
11-01-2006, 07:38 AM
I personally do not care one bit for Torque.
:agree: I agree with you, it seems to be a first quake era game engine.
I'm not supposed to be a game professional, but at least a "past generation" quality woud be nice.:cool:

I read a while ago that UnrealEd 3 was going to work on mac... If it runs in OS X, it would be great.[/QUOTE]
:eek: Really?!
But surely will cost an eye...

Angelo D'Ambros
11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
However I'm trying Unity now: Powerfull and simple::thumbsup:

seppuku arts
11-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Torque is a good game engine, it can be confusing at first, Unity however is more simple. But I would recommend using Irrlicht with XCode/C++, its free to use, it has extremely straight forward tutorials to get started and worth learning in my opinion, plus it helps you in the knowledge of programming, so if you did have the urge to move onto Torque or something, you'd find learning much easier. However Irrlicht is a 3D engine, not a game engine, but no fear, it covers input and collision as well, but if you want physics and sound, you can use it with the newton physic engines or ODE or PhysX Audiere or irrKlang.

But if you prefer the non programming reliant game dev then Unity might be a good option.

Angelo D'Ambros
11-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks anyone

It's attractive to me build a game by code but I'm a student and game dev would be just a no-profit (for now) free time activity for me and some friends of mine, so I can't spend too much time on it. If I'm not wrong programming is a time-eating activiy. However thanks for the tips.

One question: Unity web page says it is far better than Torque, is this true?

seppuku arts
11-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Its all a matter of opinion really, Torque is harder and more code based, but I've never used Unity.

If you want something code based, you're a student, if you're like me cheap/free is the best choice for a student. I cannot recommend anything else but Irrlicht and the C++ part of Xcode for this. Unity and Torque are good engines, they do something so you don't have to, but Torque is script based also and allows for you to edit the engine, which a lot of people find difficult, Unity seems quite easy. Try all 3, Unity and Torque both have demos, you don't get to edit the engine in the Torque demo and Irrlicht is free. But I do still recommend irrlicht with Irrklang for sound and perhaps newton for Physics, the tutorials are straight forward I found myself with only little C# knowledge and knowledge in games programming and the tutorials seem to get me started off really easily with out any C++ experience. No harm in trying as its free and so is XCode ;).

Here is an info pages on it:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=4

ItsPete
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
>>Unity web page says it is far better than Torque, is this true?
so otee and gg don't get into a war... while obviously they agree with that, i've never seen them market that way. don't think otee has that statement on their site. i believe you might be refering to forum threads where unity users said that.

for me unity beats torque in a lot more ways than ease of use. but torque has some good points. irrlicht is really cool too. matter of opinion... agreed!

meshpig
11-22-2006, 12:36 AM
... I'd go along with ItsPete in that such a claim would be an unlikely thing at otee. BTW has anyone had a squiz at this - http://www.dangerdeep.net?

I haven't gotten around to porting it to mac yet but you can just put the SDL's in library/frameworks (sorry) and it runs enough to see whether it's worth persuing.

:thumbsup:

M

Angelo D'Ambros
11-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I excuse for what I said ("otee says unity is better than torque"). I fastly red the opinions at the right up of the pages and my mind unconsciously transfers them in site body...:foreheads

" Things that would take a day in VirTools or Torque
literally take me minutes to do in Unity
and usually with better results. "
Marty Plumbo, game developer

"Unity isn't like Torque;
Unity is everything it says it is. "
David Janik-Jones, co-founder of WidgetMonkeys.com