PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist Temple

BnE
06-12-2003, 09:29 AM
hi ! this is my last image. it's exercice to learn more and more about 3d... i also try to find myself a style. so i edited it in photoshop... it's also the first time i work on the composition of a picture... i hope you will like it... i did it during my spare time and there are many little problems(like textures badly projected, same object cloned everywhere...) because i wanted to do it quick... i don't like to work too long on a picture because after a few weeks i begin to hate it... and then i just stop and quit... i hope you will like it. i think i'll try to animate it for fun when i'll have more animation skills. see ya! ;)
http://juliette.nfrance.com/~ju13364//ben/images/3d/finaux/highpoly/dalai_final.JPG

technical blabla : 5min for a render, i used lightwave, Xdof. many spots all around, i tried to simulate a bit radiosity.

ps : sorry for the dark grey border... i will remove it one day... i'm lazy, i know... :D

electroNIX
06-12-2003, 11:42 AM
i like it... it has some kind of claymation look to it...

only thing which came to my mind is the "floating" monk in the middle of the picture. He doesnt seem to cast the "right" shadow

Kuzey
06-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Wonderful image and wonderful characters!!

:p
Kuzey

BnE
06-12-2003, 06:21 PM
electroNIX : thanx! you're right the monk is kindda floating... i tried to make him look like he's standing on one foot to get higher... but the it doesn't work very well... as you say, the shadow is not right... my shadowmap just sucks! hehe

Kuzey : thanx to! i'm glad you like it! :D

Kuzey
06-12-2003, 08:26 PM
I like it more each time I see!!

This will make a great addition to Newtek's Gallery...me thinks :p

Kuzey

Rich
06-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Haha, I love the image! I like how the monks are really short. It gives them personality. Hope your making an animation out of this. I would love to see it. Keep it up!:)

starbase1
06-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Very, very nice image - filled with character, and nice use of subdued colours.

You even get away with the depth of field effect, (which in my view is becoming as cliched as lens flarees ever were...)

Superb!

BnE
06-13-2003, 06:01 AM
thanx! i'm glad you people like it!

starbase1 : for the DOF, your right it's really becoming a cliché... it was hard for me to make it look ok. i think the DOF in my picture gives it kind of a cinematographic style, if you see what i mean...

thanx everybody for your support! :D

Zarathustra
06-13-2003, 09:01 AM
I think you have to lessen the detail of the background. It feels like I'm looking at a miniature set. Fog or some kind of distance gradient on the detail might give it some atmospheric perspective that would give a greater sense of depth and size.

I would definitely like to see an animation. I like it very much.

travis
06-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Its beautifull. Really.

lightwaver
06-13-2003, 03:20 PM
what a nice work.
can't wait 2 c the animiation .:D

legomanww
06-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Looks Great!

Nice rendering style.

BnE
06-16-2003, 06:47 AM
thanx pepole, i'm really glad you like it! i'm still learning animation, but it's coming! if you want to see my first walk cycles, it's here. sorry, it's on cgtalk.... :D

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=655956

Carbon71
06-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Wow. I really love it. The pushed proportions on the characters is so cute. I love the style and only crits I have have already been mentioned.

It has a real claymation look to it. Can you tell us, how you lit the scene? Any special techniques, shaders, textures?

legomanww
06-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Looked at the walk cycles, looks great. I really like the run cycle.

BnE
06-16-2003, 04:13 PM
legomanww : thanx! as you can see, i'm learning, but it's coming!

Carbon71 : thanx! well for the lighting, i use something very simple... when modeling of the scene is finished, i make a very quick hdri based lighting setup for radiosity and i render. then i make a lighting rig based on the radiosity picture to make it look like radiosity. i use mainly spots, not only because of the shadow maps but because the light they produce is softer than distant or point lights... i just don't use area lights. it's too long for rendering... my computer just can't handle it... here are top and side pics of my lighting rigs.
as you can see i have the sun light(a bit yellow) on top left of the top picture. the 3 other lights at the corners and borders of the picture are the sky lights(a bit blue). all the rest are bounce lights(point lights with no shadow)... they have the color of what they are supposed to bounce on.... this is the only technic i can talk about because all the rest has nothing special... modeling is box modeling and texturing is just based on real textures... i'm still learning things... i'm really happy you liked my picture! :D

BnE
06-16-2003, 04:13 PM
here is the side picture.

BnE
06-16-2003, 04:28 PM
here is the scene with just lighting. 18seconds for a render. as you can see it was a wip, charcters are missing and many other things...
http://juliette.nfrance.com/~ju13364//ben/images/3d/wip/dalai/dalai12.jpg

and yes i have a tip on texturing, i think it's better to texture your scene after lighting is ready because you can tweak your texture to make them look right. i know many people texture their objects with a 3 lights rig. but at the end with the final lighting rig, textures don't look the same...
here is a close up of the monk while i was texturing him. as you can see, there are only the monk and the lighting rig... and yes the sky because i prefer to texture with a colored background. you know the principle of relativity(not the one from einstein). the same red(the color) will look darker if the background is very bright, but it will look brighter if the background is very dark. i think that's all. i hope you'll understand me. my english is not very good.... and i hope these explenations will be usefull to the people...:D
thanx again!
http://juliette.nfrance.com/~ju13364//ben/images/3d/wip/dalai/dalai11.jpg

thekho
06-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Very nice styles and work. I really like it. Your lighting set up are very good and quick renders.

I think your roof needs more work like detail modeling and texturing cos your roof looks like flat.

Keep it good work :)

Dillon
06-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey

Excellent picture.

Suggestion for the shadow for the person seemingly "floating" in the middle of the pic. The shadowmap for the light that is casting the shadow is too small... crank up the shadow map size resolution, and that will tighten up the shadow (better resolution of the shadow map). Hope that makes sense.

Otherwise, pretty neat pic.

Dillon

BnE
06-17-2003, 11:35 AM
thanx Thekho and Dillon! since this picture is a finished work, i won't change anything. as i said before, i just begin to hate my work when i spend to much time on it... but please keep critics and comments because it will be helpfull for my next pictures, and also for the little animation... :D i thank you again! if you have ideas for the animation, like elements i could put in, please feel free to tell me your thinkings! i hope my english is unnderstandable :p

Carbon71
06-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for showing me the lighting rig!! That is inspiring! I was starting to get depressed about how long it takes to get a get an HDRI radiosity render. :(
I need to start to learn how to fake G.I. lighting. Using the radiosity render as a guide is a great idea.

Last Question about the light rig:
I see also you have an array about about 20 spot lights facing straight down over the scene. Anything special aboiut these? I imagine shadows turned off and colored some?

This reminds me, I also need to check out overcaster in my quest for fake GI.

BnE
06-17-2003, 12:16 PM
hehe you're welcome, i hope it will help you!
about the spot lights, everything is a bit messed up in the top view... in fact, i have only 8 spots facing straight down over the scene. the others you see in the top view are the point lights used to fake light bouncing on the floor... for these 8 spots i have shadows turned on(but it doesn't make a big difference in my picture if i turn them off...) and blue color... i hope this can help... :D
c ya!

quatermain
06-18-2003, 10:44 AM
this is a very educational thread. thanks for sharing your lighting tips - the results are inspirational !

other than the yellow sun spotlight, do the other 3 blue ones at the corners use shadows?

btw, do you have any interior lighting tricks to share ?

BnE
06-18-2003, 11:11 AM
hi quatermain! i'm happy this can be usefull to you! well the 3 blue ones don't have shadows enabled, there just here for the ambiant lighting... well, about interior lighting, all know is theorical, because i've never lit interior stuff. but i think again that if you take a radiosity render as a template to simulate it, it should work the same way as exterior lighting. the only difference is that light won't "burn" inside as it does outside because most of the interior is lit by bounces and not "direct light"... hope this can help you... :D
thanx again!

Mugatu
06-19-2003, 08:34 PM
It's nice it brought a sense of cozziness about it, the character closest to the camera realy gives it that feel of a tourists photograph you allways get someone careless wondering infront at the crucial moment great work really
inspiring

MGuerra
06-20-2003, 10:18 AM
I think this image is awesome! You should definitely send it in for show in our gallery (Email Here ([email protected])).

BnE
06-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Mugatu : thanx! that was exactly what i wanted to do... something like a photograph of a moment of life at a buddhist temple! and to make it more natural, i put this guy in front of the camera and the other one searching something on the floor(you can only see the back of this one) i'm really glad you like it and "feel" the picture this way... sorry my english sux it's hard for me to explain correctly the things i have in mind... ;)

MGuerra : waow, this would be a great hounor to see it in the newtek's gallery! and yes, i'd like to say that Newtek community is just great! for this i have to thank all the people from Newtek ! Keep doing the things that way ! :D :D :D :D