PDA

View Full Version : Which is Better

eagleeyed
10-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Hello everyone out there, I am a newbie animator, been living of Maya Learning editions and free trials at the moment.

I am about to attempt my first series and I am wondering peoples opinions on what is better to use for the following:

The world will be mostly metal, light reflections, etc.
Several High Detail houses in one shot.
Fire, Explosion, Smoke effects.
Water.
Up to 40 Characters in one shot with high amount of geometry.

I am wondering what program would be best out of the three, which would be more stable out of the three,

3ds max
Maya
Lightwave.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sensei
10-28-2006, 05:21 AM
You're risking flame war, which moderators don't tolerate.. People are used to use alternative names of 3rd party 3d applications instead of saying "Maya" etc. ;) Especially on CGTalk..

eagleeyed
10-28-2006, 05:27 AM
Sorry, if I am breaking the rules how is it possible to remove my post.

tonybliss
10-28-2006, 05:41 AM
xsi or better 9.x :) :)

but seriously :( , if you want to have a heavy scene with props and 40 characters, then LW in its current incarnation would not be able to handle that efficiently or at all, due to non real time ik and developing OpenGl. If you wish to USE LW then you WOULD have to render in passes (or sections of your scene) and composite them in a post FX program such as After FX or combustion.
I have been looking at Messiah as a feasible alternative to animating heavy scenes/characters instead of LW ... no probs so far with duplicates characters in the demo ... i thinks me go buy!!!!

Good luck!!!

eagleeyed
10-28-2006, 05:43 AM
thanks for your reply, do you have any links I could check out?

bryphi7
10-28-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm with swami... If you are going to have 40 characters, LW is not for you. You could do it in post, but LW makes that an extremely time consuming and difficult process as well. Good luck...

eagleeyed
10-28-2006, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the info. You habe helped me make an informed choice.

A. P. Walker

alifx
10-28-2006, 06:26 AM
It's better that you put your question on cgtalk, because as you see it's LightWave User Community forum.

sorry for saying that but there are some guys here who love to bash LW and they wait to flame a war.

anyway you can look at Messiah it has a strong and fast OpenGl
here is the link for it's website
http://www.projectmessiah.com/

Good Luck

hrgiger
10-28-2006, 07:20 AM
I would recommend Lightwave for the following reason: If you're a newbie, your project is way too ambitious to begin with. Unless you're some kind of animator prodigy, I'd shoot a little lower. I had such ambitions before I learned hwo to use 3D, and once I learned how much goes into quality animation and once I learned that movies with so many characters and effects and details takes teams of hundreds sometimes years to complete, I had a dose of reality. It's JMHO, but I would start with something that wasn't quite so lofty. And Lightwave should be sufficient for your needs.