PDA

View Full Version : Housed modeling done

hrgiger
10-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Here is the first of several houses I am working on modeling. There are no textures, just base colors as this is only intended to be a modeling excercise. The shingles are modeled geometry. Any helpful advice would be appreciated for the next one I do. I'm fairly new to any kind of architectural modeling. Here are the front and back views respectively rendered in Fprime.

ludenwulf
10-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Looks like you have nice start there with the first model. The only advice I'd suggest is to think about your lighting sceme. The shadows from the key or sun light is casting some some pretty hard shadows. What light type are you useing? You might try an area light as your key and maybe a sky light as either another light type or global lighting if your useing radiosity. The global will help fill in the deeper nooks and cranies without bumping up your radiosity. Just don't crank it up to much or you'll wash out what you already have. Looking good :)

hrgiger
10-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks Luden, I'm not spending too much time with the lighting right now, this is primarily a modeling excercise.

bryphi7
10-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Modeling looks good, but the shingles are to big... at least compared to most that i have installed on houses. I was a builder for 9 years.:(

hrgiger
10-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I was thinking they looked kind of big. Thanks bryphi7, I guess I'll have to go back and adjust them. Which is too bad because they're kind of a pain to redo.
Why the sad face about being a builder? That's a respectable profession.

bryphi7
10-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Not when you worked for the company that I worked for...I probably wouldn't have minded it so much if I was doing it for myself. I wasn't real fond of the 6:00am start time either.

hrgiger
10-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Not when you worked for the company that I worked for...I probably wouldn't have minded it so much if I was doing it for myself. I wasn't real fond of the 6:00am start time either.

6AM? Lucky. I have to get up at 4 every day, but I am about to switch jobs which is a good thing.

kwills256
11-01-2006, 12:00 PM
If i had anything to say about it, it would be that I don't really see room for a staircase inside the house. The garage seems to take up about a third of your total space of the house, and I don't really see a lot of living space there. Either you need a larger lower floor, or another section between the garage and the door.

Just my opinion.

anim8r
11-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow! Great detail HR!

Concerning the shingles I think shingles are about 1' wide (tho they actually cheat by having 3 shingles to a strip (and only punching out2 slits to make it look like 3 ;) )

But even with the shingles the way they are, I think it's awesome.

Love the gutters too =]

hrgiger
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
If i had anything to say about it, it would be that I don't really see room for a staircase inside the house. The garage seems to take up about a third of your total space of the house, and I don't really see a lot of living space there. Either you need a larger lower floor, or another section between the garage and the door.

Just my opinion.

I did some measurements of myh own garage because I thought something similar when I first looked at my reference photo. Based on the measurements of my model, there is still plenty of room for the staircase which in this house, would lead up from the kitchen area. Here is the house I modeled it (loosley) on.

Matt
11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Looks like a very neat model :thumbsup:

Exception
11-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Very good job hr.... Now model it in 4 hours and you can be an arch. visualiser.

bobakabob
11-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Nice work and good lighting. An excellent render. I was wondering if you were going to place this in a realistic setting and modify the sharp clean edges.

adrian
11-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Pretty good :)

Did you model this with LW's native tools or did you use LWCAD?

zent29
11-15-2006, 09:49 AM
:thumbsup: Nice work!!! How long did it take you to model this house.
Did you use lightwave cad 2.0?
Chris

wavemaster
03-02-2008, 09:16 AM
nice... except the shingles and the textures...

walfridson
03-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Gravedigging hrgiger threads?...

And oh yea, textures... ;)